Agent or not?!

We've just started looking into skilled visa 189 and today I've spoken to 2 different migration agents. 

Theres so much involved that we are thinking about using one of these.

has anyone not used an agent? If so how hard is it to do?

thanks

If your case is very straightforward then go for it, but make sure you do your research and check out all aspects of the process, including the employment evidence requirements, conviction and health side of things and all aspects of the visa eligibility criteria relating to your application.

if your case is looking at all complicated or you are unsure, then the advice of a migration professional may be a good idea, just as you would obtain the advice of a legal professional if you were facing a tricky legal situation.

Just make sure the Agent is registered with MARA.

Regards,

Richard

I did it alone for my wife and I. Losts of research but ours was a straight forward case. If you have any health issues or an occupation that needs more attention then maybe an agent would be good. You will get some good recommendations on here there are some good people. Just make sure they are MARA registered. Good luck

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Thank you, I thought ours was straight forward. My partner is a plasterer and then there would be myself & 2 young children. 

When ive spoken to the agents they've made my brain go to mush with a bit of info overload in regards to employment evidence because my partner has been self employed for 7years.

from what I've gathered we need a statement from our accountant, suppliers and as many people as we can that he's done work for.

We have used an agent; Ian Harrop and it has been a real help. My husband is self employed plumber and so there has been a lot of documentation and information required for his employment. it's been a real weight off my mind just having to find documents and scan them over and not have to worry about the endless list of things (much like Aimee2402). it has just been really helpful to have someone who's job it is to tell us when to do what, when to go for what assessment, what documents to send over and when to lodge different applications and after 6 months we have finally submitted our visa application tonight. (slight delay just due to renewing of passports).

Good luck with your application!

Applied all visas by myself. Started doing some research when applying visa 485, then my partner's 485.

Then moved on to 189. But everything is straightforward.

Had a consultation with an agent, but that is just ways for me to increase my EOI points.

On 02/06/2017 at 12:36, Richard Gregan said:

If your case is very straightforward then go for it, but make sure you do your research and check out all aspects of the process, including the employment evidence requirements, conviction and health side of things and all aspects of the visa eligibility criteria relating to your application.

if your case is looking at all complicated or you are unsure, then the advice of a migration professional may be a good idea, just as you would obtain the advice of a legal professional if you were facing a tricky legal situation.

Just make sure the Agent is registered with MARA.

Regards,

Richard

With a risk of sound dumb... how do I check that the agent is mara registered?

thanks so much

Getting an agent is like lodging your tax, you can lodge it by yourself or get an accountant to do it for you. It's also a matter of how much you're willing to spend for one. Mostly you'd be quoted more than £2K to spend whilst, if you're lucky you'all find one who will charge less than the average (like we do!). At the end of it all, it's a matter of choice. Find someone who's MARA registered -definitely! and who you think could act to your best interest. No natter how much the cost, once you speak to someone, just be in tune with your gut feeling as normally it will guide you in choosing who to really trust your future plans with.