A few visa questions

Sang

Hi, this is the first time I have visited this forum properly and I am hoping for some advise. My husband and I have finally decided to take the plunge and would love to start the process to move over to Australia. Wanted to ask a couple of things regarding visas. Firstly I have a Social sciences degree and my area is drug and alcohol counselling.. Migration consultant said we have to see whether my occupation comes back on the list around July time, if it does go forward with this on a 190 visa, state nomination Northern Territory to gain permanent residency for myself and my family.

there maybe a chance that my husband could be given the opportunity to work for his company in Australia. Sales rep industrial products... This is where I am confused, as his job is on what used to be CSOL list, so could his company nominate him and could this be a way in? Or would this ONLY be on a temporary basis? Or could this lead to permanent residency... All this is so confusing! As it would be ideal if he could move with his job as he has worked in uk branch for over five years has great experience etc... But we want the security of permanent residency... We have young family etc... Any advise appreciated. Thanks in advance. ? Consulant didn't seem keen on second option... Said it would involve slot of paperwork...

Edited by snifter
Edited thread title

Hi and welcome.

Your occupation is still on the short term list and sponsorship by a state for a 190 visa is still possible. I have had a look at the NT are still sponsoring this. Though it would likely only offer a 489, which is a visa that leads to pr as long as you adhere to the conditions of living in a regional area for 2 years and work in a regional area for at least one year.  

Ok thanks so much for replying. I am finding all of this a mind field. I spoke to a migration agent and she did discuss what you just mentioned about NT and she said if I applied for 190 visa I wasn't legally obliged to live within that area, or work there, or even work at all?? She said husband could work, they wouldn't have any expectation for me to once visa is obtained... they would prefer it though... Seemed like a grey area... Ideally we would have liked to be nearer Melbourne (where I have family). I also have a young family so initially we were hoping my husband would be the one in work full time. Does anyone record any reliable trustworthy migration agents? Be good to know. 

Thanks again ?

You are talking about two separate things, 190 visa is a state sponsored permanent residency visa. @VERYSTORMY is talking about the regional 489 visa, which has a condition of working only in the regional area. If you adhere to their rules, you will be eligible to apply for the PR. 489 is not a permanent residency visa. There are lots of very good migration agents who post here, @Alan Collett @wrussell @Raul Senise @George Lombard