Have you shipped a pet to Australia from Europe?

Fashionfox

Hi all, 

I would love to hear some experiences of people who have shipped their pets over to Australia from Europe and gone through the Quarantine process. 

I have a 10 year old female Jack Russell cross who is my life, she is a cherished and loved part of our lives and we do everything together. There is no option of leaving her behind in the UK and the opportunity we have for starting a life and business in Australia is to great to turn down. I know she could have a fantastic life there as she thrives in nature and loves the beach. My issue is her age- she could potentially live another 6/7 years as small dogs do but she also suffers with separation anxiety and In her 10 years of life she has only spent one night away from myself or a family member, I am paralysed in fear of how she will cope in the process of flying and 2 weeks in Quarantine - she wont know what the hell is going on. I am terrified she could be injured or become highly distressed in the process. 

I would love to hear if anyone else has gone through the process with an older or anxious pet and how they found it. I know most owners who love their pets enough not to leave them behind would understand the absolute fear and upset of putting their pets through this. If anything happened to her I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. The though of this makes me want to cry but I know if all went well the best years of her life could be ahead of her in Australia. 

Looking forward to hearing from some of you on this. Its something that fills me with dread. 

Thank you

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Fashionfox welcome to the forum. I will move your post to our pets section.

We have a lot of members who have brought their elderly pets and not regretted it at all. We, as humans, stress more than the dogs, even dogs with separation anxiety can cope as long as there is no way of harming themselves, which in the crate there isn't unless they damage their claws scratching to get out. I've never seen it happen in a transport container but gave in quarantine but that was mainly because they could see and hear others. Quarantine have a vet that goes in daily so they would be on top of any issues that came up. Have a chat with your vet and if he thinks she is fit to come then I wouldn't hesitate. However, you do need to start the process now as it can be over 6 months to complete. If you can use @BobPetairUK I would highly recommend him, he is a vet and shipper so knows the best for your baby.

Hi FashionFox

There is another thread on here about taking older pets and it is a super tough decision. 

10 years old for a Jack Russell is only middle aged! And as long as your dog is fit and healthy then she will cope. She wont love it, but she will love being with you. We have flown worried dogs and older dogs and they always seem to cope much better than we ever expect them to.

Have a look on our website and there is a whole page to give you some more detail about the export and the process and if you want to chat then give any of our team a call and we will be happy to help

Thank you both for you responses. I am beside myself with worry over this and its made me almost decide against moving to Australia. 

I worry she wouldn't eat in Quarantine and would get very depressed- I wouldn't want a moment of harm to come to her. 

I heard there was a Qantas flight where the animals don't come off the plane therefore reducing stress - is this correct? 

Thanks 

Thanks Bob I will definitely be in touch with your company about this.  Is it very rare for there to be any serious problems on the flights or for dogs to be injured or very sick on arrival? 

My dog is regarded as overweight so would be need to ensure we get her weight down before she travels? Obviously she would need to be as healthy as can be. 

I have just flown my 12 yr old Scottie the other way, Sydney to London. Obviously no quarantine but the flight is just as long. I was very stressed about it as she has arthritis. She flew on the direct Qantas flight, it does stop at Dubai to refuel but the dogs don't get taken off. The flight was delayed leaving so if she had had a connection in Asia or the Middle East she would have missed it.

I picked her up after the flight and she was fine, much less stressed than I was ☺

I will reiterate the above.

We flew ours the other way as well last year. We were incredibly worried as he literally never leaves my wifes side 24/7. He also has a medical condition.

But he was fine. Hungry but fine. I suspect he had slept most of it. Though the funny thing was he did have jet lag for a week or two. I think we get far more stressed than they do.

• 3 weeks later...