How can I get a cold, lose it, then get it back again?

MARYROSE02

Mega frustrating! I came down with a cold on Wednesday night, felt ill all day Thursday, took Friday off work, but then by 11pm felt good enough to go out to the pub. Over the weekend, completely free of cold symptoms, no cough, no blocked nose, no nothing, and even today, Tuesday completely OK, doing lots of things, shopping, out for cafe lunch, right up till about 7pm and, BANG, back to a full-blown cold, either the same one or a completely different one, I don't know!?

I know I hardly unique. My brother told me all his workmates have come down with colds, but usually, I get one, and however bad it is, however long it lingers, it does go and not come back like this!

58 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Mega frustrating! I came down with a cold on Wednesday night, felt ill all day Thursday, took Friday off work, but then by 11pm felt good enough to go out to the pub. Over the weekend, completely free of cold symptoms, no cough, no blocked nose, no nothing, and even today, Tuesday completely OK, doing lots of things, shopping, out for cafe lunch, right up till about 7pm and, BANG, back to a full-blown cold, either the same one or a completely different one, I don't know!?

I know I hardly unique. My brother told me all his workmates have come down with colds, but usually, I get one, and however bad it is, however long it lingers, it does go and not come back like this!

I had several like that this year.

My suspicion is that you have been infected by a cold very similar to one that you have had before. Your body mounts a defense and beats it off. This happens a few times as the cold mutates, until finally you get hit by something you have no immunity to.

I would be interested in a doctor's opinion on the subject.

• Like 1

Despite all my whingeing I've actually thrown off that cold quickly just as I did the one last week. I'm used to colds that make me feel awful for two or three days followed by weeks of blocked up nose and maybe a cough.

The most irritating thing about this bug was a kind of "tickle" in the left nostril up near my eyes that was infuriating. Whether I closed my eyes or opened them it didn't matter!

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Despite all my whingeing I've actually thrown off that cold quickly just as I did the one last week. I'm used to colds that make me feel awful for two or three days followed by weeks of blocked up nose and maybe a cough.

The most irritating thing about this bug was a kind of "tickle" in the left nostril up near my eyes that was infuriating. Whether I closed my eyes or opened them it didn't matter!

You don't suffer from hay fever? You can get it in autumn.

Edited by newjez

I did wonder about hay fever as it seems like I had a perpetual snuffle, plus at times sore eyes and sneezing and I did experiment with an anti-histamine for a few days. (I didn't like the large tablets).

I have never had this diagnosed although in my defence, I am going through a good (for me) period when I don't rush to the doctors. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to see him. (He probably thinks I am ill!)

Seriously, I went for my last swim on 3 March then I got a cold, and then I seemed ot have a perennial cold and I've not had a swim since.

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I did wonder about hay fever as it seems like I had a perpetual snuffle, plus at times sore eyes and sneezing and I did experiment with an anti-histamine for a few days. (I didn't like the large tablets).

I have never had this diagnosed although in my defence, I am going through a good (for me) period when I don't rush to the doctors. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to see him. (He probably thinks I am ill!)

Seriously, I went for my last swim on 3 March then I got a cold, and then I seemed ot have a perennial cold and I've not had a swim since.

Antihistamines work rapidly so if they had no effect probably not an allergy. If you want to try some more Zyrtec tablets are tiny.

• Like 1

I've had similar over the past couple of weeks.  I spent most of last Friday (not yesterday, last week) in bed, aching and shivering, only to feel on top of the world by Saturday, then for the past couple of days really stuffy/bloody nose, feeling exhausted again.  I quite often put extra blankets on my bed if I'm feeling fluey, in the belief that if I make myself hotter than usual I'll kill off the bug more quickly by encouraging a high temperature.  

48 minutes ago, LKC said:

I've had similar over the past couple of weeks.  I spent most of last Friday (not yesterday, last week) in bed, aching and shivering, only to feel on top of the world by Saturday, then for the past couple of days really stuffy/bloody nose, feeling exhausted again.  I quite often put extra blankets on my bed if I'm feeling fluey, in the belief that if I make myself hotter than usual I'll kill off the bug more quickly by encouraging a high temperature.  

I do that. Don't know if it helps. I keep several pairs of pj close by as they get soaked with sweat.

I'm sure it helps.  I don't wear anything in bed, I just change the bedding/wash the duvet the day after.  I'd not do it with the kids though, they aren't as good at getting out to cool down if they feel bad.

I got some Zyrtec in Burwood this evening.  My shift was cancelled as I was on the train to Parramatta.  Today I've had sniffles again plus itching back. Ok yesterday. 

I've not been to Burwood for a while so interesting to walk around. Very nice Park which I had never walked round despite living nearby in Strathfield South a few years - decades- ago.

Got an electric blanket for my brother in Target at Westfield $69. He feels the cold far more than me. 

It has been pretty cold today.  I was painting one of the bedrooms so I had the window open, and even with a jumper on and the activity of painting I was still cold.  In fact the only time I've been warm today is in a hot bath!  My cough is better (I always get a long-lasting cough at this time of year here, I think it is the damp/cold), but my nose and sinuses are still gross.  I don't have time to be sick though.  I might try some anti-allergy meds.  I'm wondering if there are mould spores around that are causing trouble?  

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting over yet another cold, this one the worst of the batch. It started with a dry cough on Tuesday morning but I was out doing chores and decided to go to work in the evening, partly because I was conscious of the number of sickies I've already taken. By the end of the shift I wished I'd not gone in though. Wednesday was horrible and most of Thursday then I started to come back up so I guess it's just a bad cold and not flu. On Wednesday I really felt ill, filled a plastic bag up with tissues, and today, Friday, I'm sort of OK but still weak. I walked down the road to the dry cleaners feeling fragile. I was having unpleasant dreams too, vivid but confusing, anarchic, not nightmares but difficult to escape from.

Now my brother has come down with either the same bug or something similar. He should have stayed at home today but it's difficult when you are in a work culture that would rather have the entire office sick than one person home in bed.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...