Graduate 485 visa - Post-study work stream

JonnyP

Hi there,

This is a question regarding the Temporary Graduate Visa sublcass 485.

I will be finishing a Masters Degree in IT at the end of October 2017 here in Sydney. I am planning to apply for this visa under the Post-study work stream. However, I held a 572 visa from 2008 until 2010 and I left Australia before the expiration date of the 572 student visa which expired on July 2010. Now, since I have applied and have been granted a new student visa (573 for Higher Education) in February 2016, once I complete the MIT course, am I eligible to apply under the Post-Study work stream?

Note that there is a huge gap in years between the expiry date of the first student visa subclass 572 and the grant date of the new student visa subclass 573. This second student visa is not the result of a visa renewal of the first student visa whatsoever. Please anyone could advice if there is any chance of applying under the post-study work stream??

Thank you.

am I eligible to apply under the Post-Study work stream?

Probably, yes. It would depend on how closely related your courses were and what you completed under your first visa.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for an assessment?

Highly doubt it.

• Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.

The fact remains that your very first student visa is from 2008. In 2016, you acquired your second student visa.

Edited by VicViP