What to bring...

DukeNinja

Hey all, so flights have been booked, just need accommodation sorted out now. How long did it take you guys to secure a rental? With regards to what to bring, this is our list so far:

Bed, sofa bed, tv, tv stand, coffee table, storage chest, PC, bicycles, cooking pans/plates/cutlery/cotbed and mattress, photo frames, hanging pictures, newish clothes and shoes/flip-flops/books.

Any suggestions as to what else would be useful to bring over?

Cheers!

We brought bedding with us. It's more expensive here and we wanted to get new when we had our permanent house so we could match it in with the decor. Even when we got our house it took us a while to find the right bedding/Manchester which is what they call it here.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Decent bedding (inc duvets and mattress toppers etc) if you are shipping beds (or not). Towels. They are stupidly expensive for decent quality ones here and even those I don't find great.

Tbh of you are not shipping white goods or much furniture, you'll be starting over in that respect here so I'd not worry about it.

Hi

We was over for a reccie last week in Brisbane. We will be using Movecube- we went to the local depot to see the cubes and very impressed with the guys there.

We did lots of looking around furniture shops, schools etc and have decided that we wont take anything apart from personal items.

Super A mart do some decent furniture packages. Target seem very cheap for plates, cups etc

I've heard that UK tv's wont work in Oz. Dont know if its true but you can pick up a decent one in JB HIFI at a decent price.

Only our views on stuff I'm sure others will disagree :)

43 minutes ago, gertyax1978 said:

Hi

We was over for a reccie last week in Brisbane. We will be using Movecube- we went to the local depot to see the cubes and very impressed with the guys there.

We did lots of looking around furniture shops, schools etc and have decided that we wont take anything apart from personal items.

Super A mart do some decent furniture packages. Target seem very cheap for plates, cups etc

I've heard that UK tv's wont work in Oz. Dont know if its true but you can pick up a decent one in JB HIFI at a decent price.

Only our views on stuff I'm sure others will disagree :)

UK TVs generally work just fine. Just need a set top box for the digital channels. Its very straightforward tbh. We didn't ship ours as it was getting old so sold it and bought new here about 6 months in. Have just upgraded to a huge one after 3.5 years and put the old one in the family room here. 

If you are happy with cheap and cheerful to restock, then go for it. I don't find the cheap furniture to be that good (it really feels cheap I think) and have therefore tended to avoid it. We got quite a bit of ours second hand on Gumtree and the like and bought decent quality stuff. And the new stuff went for more premium companies over the cheaper ones over a couple of years.