Melbournes Best Suburbs for Property Growth

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A handful of once-overlooked Melbourne suburbs — some arguably still under the radar — have been rapidly slipping out of reach for a growing number of home buyers.

It now costs $570,000 to buy a typical house in Thomastown, where the median was about $440,000 just a year ago.

The northern suburb, 17 kilometres from Melbourne’s CBD, is among the fastest growing suburbs for house prices over the 12 months to March, alongside Brunswick East, West Footscray, Seaford and Highett, Domain Group data shows. 

The best suburbs for unit price growth include Noble Park, Altona, Toorak, Blackburn and Bentleigh. 

The suburb where I live has now gone close to a million average price. Absolutely ridiculous.  Where my daughter lives it is over 2 million.  Reminds me a bit of the old German banknotes with a face value of millions.  Of course the local councils love it because they can charge higher rates- but the reality is you would have to pay it out to move house unless you are prepared to move a very long way out. The government stands back and lets it all happen and shame on them for that.