Sold the house....now the realisation kicks in!

Guest Brissiebound

Guest Brissiebound

Ok, after a good few weeks complaining about the fact that we hadn't sold the house and that was the only thing holding us back.....well now we've sold the house!!! The day we actually put the "sold" bit up on the sign our eldest daugher (10) actually got quite reflective. The months of excitement talking about moving but the sudden realisation that we are actually going brought it all home to her. Coming to think of it perhaps she wasn't the only one if you know what I mean? Adding to this feeling of apprehension is the fact that we have made the decision to sell everything instead of taking the 40ft container that we had always planned on. This came about after a conversation with an acquitance on the subect of the move. I mentioned I was taking a container and this guy said I was mad! The more I thought about it the more it actually began to make sense, instead of 4 grand on the shipping plus insurance and the rest at the other end, plus the fact that damages will be almost unavoidable etc etc, it made me think how much of a wrench would it actually be to not take everything? The electricals such as TV's, DVD players and things are useless, we won't need all the winter clothes, and who cares about the lawnmower and things like that. We have a pretty large 4 bed detached house so it's not like we don't have a fair bit of stuff, but arriving with suitcases and then going on a shopping spree sounds like a good way to start a new life....new furniture, new beds.... new start! E-bay is going to take a battering!!!!

Sorry to blab on, but that's it, the flights are booked for 19th Jan and we'll take it as we find it! Hope it all goes well for everyone.

Cheers

Steve

Great news.

We are of the same mind, all our stuff could do with a face lift so why not buy when we get there with some of the money we safe on the container. I am quite looking forward to a whole load of new things after 14 years of accumulating bits and pieces.

Have a great life we are hoping to be in Brisbane by the end of our summer next year who knows may see you there.

best wishes

Kaye :)

That's great news, a good start to the new year for you all.

I think you're wise not to bring your goods and chattels - good excuse to start afresh. We only brought personal stuff - gifts that meant something, and photo albums, the favourite toys (most important to help kids settle).

You can buy some excellent furniture etc at garage sales, which are on every weekend. As folk tend to move around a lot more here, they sell stuff instead of moving it.

Bean bags are cheap, and make very comfy seats, if you have to wait for new furniture to be made.

Make the most of your 'last' cold Christmas, I'm sure it'll be one to remember.

Best wishes,

Koala

Hi

We bought everything with us, all the TV's and electrical items (DVD's, computer, tumble dryer, dishwasher, videos, iron, george foreman, etc) worked just fine! We had 4 sofa's (if bought over here would have cost over $2500 each) and had room to put everything, the kids had their bikes and toys and they loved it. I had all my clothes and shoes (which are expensive out here) and all my cookware, etc.

We spent £4000 shipping everything and we thought it was good value for money, as you would spend a lot more than that over here to furnish a 4 bed house, you'll have to buy 2 cars as soon as you get out as you have to drive everywhere, no popping down to the local shops for a loaf of bread unfortunately, nearest shops to us is 7km away!

We spent over $4000 buying a fridge/freezer, washing machine and a new TV for the bedroom as we didn't have enough and couldn't bring the fridge anyway.

It's a matter of personal choice I guess but we felt much better having familiar things around us. It's a big enough move as it is, a bit of UK home comforts was a wonderful thing!

Whatever you decide to do, I know you will be happy so congrats and not long till the big move.

Jackie

Guest Busy Bee

Hi

We brought most of our things with us aswell. With four children it was difficult deciding what to give away and what to keep. Having their things has really helped them to adjust and settle. I'm glad that we brought certain items of furniture as we have seen that some things are much more expensive here. Computers, music systems, televisions, electrical kitchen things all work here even the phones! Although we bought fridge, freezer, washing machine etc over here they were not only expensive..but for me it was not an adventure shopping with four children. For us it was more convenience as well as the rush at the end that made us take most of our things. We enjoyed a seven week holiday on the way to Brisbane, stopping at Toronto, North Carolina, Florida, San Francisco, Hawaii, New Zealand and finally Brisbane. The arrangements and packing for the holiday alone wore me out. Never really had time for the reality of what we were doing to sink in. Hope it all works out for you and enjoy your shopping!

Gita

Archived