Best suburbs

sunshinedawn

Can anyone help recommend the best suburbs to look at renting (budget $300aud a week) we've been given this as a guide.

I suggest staying within the city realms - no further north than the airport, no further west than Werribee (this is even a little far), no further east than Ringwood, and not as south as the Mornington Peninsula.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I had a look on realestate.com.au and putting in the suburbs you mention you'll get a shoebox, 1, possibly 2 bed unit type place for that amount. As to the standard of it inside, could vary greatly. Obviously moving the marker closer back toward the CBD you'll be looking at more money (and/or less space). 

You may perhaps need to rethink the areas you'll consider if you want more house for that amount of money. 

Guest The Pom Queen

You can get a 4 bed in Point Cook for around $350 per. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? How many bedrooms?

Guest The Pom Queen

You may get a few 3/4 bed at $300 a week but to be honest you wouldn't want to live there. $350 is going to give you a good choice of some nice houses.

Who told you this re the suburbs? If you have a 3 month short term you've plenty of time to look round for another longer term rental in areas you like. If you are trying to pick it from the UK it may not work as what you want from an area may not tally up with what is available there.

I'd draw up a list of things that are important to you and focus on areas that may give you those things. Example being a 30-40 minute or less commute to work, good school options, access to shops and facilities, access to train station or main bus/tram route, apartment or house. For a short term stay in Aus like you are planning an apartment may be something to consider if it's more central and can give you a range of facilities without the hassle (ie no garden to maintain, open plan living space and using parks etc for outdoor time).

Who told you this re the suburbs? If you have a 3 month short term you've plenty of time to look round for another longer term rental in areas you like. If you are trying to pick it from the UK it may not work as what you want from an area may not tally up with what is available there.
I'd draw up a list of things that are important to you and focus on areas that may give you those things. Example being a 30-40 minute or less commute to work, good school options, access to shops and facilities, access to train station or main bus/tram route, apartment or house. For a short term stay in Aus like you are planning an apartment may be something to consider if it's more central and can give you a range of facilities without the hassle (ie no garden to maintain, open plan living space and using parks etc for outdoor time).

My husband's new company sent him the email about the suburbs. We will wait till were there and look around and see what's available and what we can afford

Guest The Pom Queen

Where is the company based? Maybe we can help based on traffic and how long he is happy to commute for. I travelled to North Melbourne from Lyndhurst on a daily basis. 

Guest The Pom Queen

I just had a quick peak at one of your posts and see the job is for 12 months and they will pay for a serviced apartment for 3 months. Please note that 98% of unfurnished rentals are for a 12 month period so you are going to have to budget for that.

Have you thought about schooling, because whilst you have 3 month in temp this may not be where your long term rental is and most schools are zoned. It may be worth while considering home schooling your son during this time and class it more as a holiday.

I just had a quick peak at one of your posts and see the job is for 12 months and they will pay for a serviced apartment for 3 months. Please note that 98% of unfurnished rentals are for a 12 month period so you are going to have to budget for that.
Have you thought about schooling, because whilst you have 3 month in temp this may not be where your long term rental is and most schools are zoned. It may be worth while considering home schooling your son during this time and class it more as a holiday.

Oh I didn't realise that renting was for 12 months. The schooling were hoping that wherever the temp accommodation is we can try and find house in the same location so not to keep moving him as son has autism and does not like changes x

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, sunshinedawn said:

Company is in Melbourne so were not sure of distances or how long travel time is

Thanks Hun, it's hard because when people say Melbourne they don't realise that Metro Melbourne is around 7653km2. 

Look at this map to understand what I mean

IMG_2630.JPG

Obviously if they say CBD then you know where you will be needing to be. How far is your hubby happy to commute

Guest The Pom Queen
1 minute ago, sunshinedawn said:

Oh I didn't realise that renting was for 12 months. The schooling were hoping that wherever the temp accommodation is we can try and find house in the same location so not to keep moving him as son has autism and does not like changes x

Yes unfortunately Melbourne work on 12 month leases, you can ask for 6 months and if there is no other interest in the property you may be lucky, but even then you are going to have to hope they will work on a rolling contract for another 3 months after which in my opinion is risky.

If you want to have the temp accommodation where you are hoping to settle then you really do need to look at Suburbs and schools now as well as school zones. Can you stretch to $350 pw? If so I can give you some areas to work with if you give me a few days.

Thanks Hun, it's hard because when people say Melbourne they don't realise that Metro Melbourne is around 7653km2. 
Look at this map to understand what I mean

IMG_2630.JPG.bff87b13baee90c68d9286b8b242aaeb.JPG

Obviously if they say CBD then you know where you will be needing to be. How far is your hubby happy to commute

Looking on Google maps his company is smack bang in the center of Melbourne. At the moment his commute to work takes about half hour and is about 5-10 miles from our house

Guest The Pom Queen

In regards to schooling if you are going to be at home and not working yourself I would either not enrol your son at school and then if possible hold him back a year in the UK (I know you can be held back a year in Aus but I can't remember for the UK) or I would look at home schooling. There is some information here http://www.vrqa.vic.gov.au/Documents/homeschoolingguide.doc

I am sure when we made the move to Australia our 3 boys didn't attend school for 6 months and then when they started we held 2 of them back a year. 

Guest The Pom Queen
3 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:

Looking on Google maps his company is smack bang in the center of Melbourne. At the moment his commute to work takes about half hour and is about 5-10 miles from our house

Unfortunately it's going to be a lot longer commute for him based on your budget. To get a 3 bed for $350 you would probably be looking at a minimum 45 minute commute and with traffic a lot longer. 

I worked shifts so I left home at 4am and could get from Lyndhurst to North Melbourne in 45 minutes, coming home I'd finish work at around 2.30 and wouldn't get home before 4, some days it was pushing 6pm

Guest The Pom Queen

I hope my posts are helpful and not causing you unnecessary stress, I think it's a great adventure I really do. However, I want you to make sure you account for everything and aren't left with it turning in to a negative experience

Yes unfortunately Melbourne work on 12 month leases, you can ask for 6 months and if there is no other interest in the property you may be lucky, but even then you are going to have to hope they will work on a rolling contract for another 3 months after which in my opinion is risky.
If you want to have the temp accommodation where you are hoping to settle then you really do need to look at Suburbs and schools now as well as school zones. Can you stretch to $350 pw? If so I can give you some areas to work with if you give me a few days.

Hopefully if I can get work in those first 3 months then we may be able to stretch our budget a little bit.

7 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

For sunshinedawn:  for comparison,  that's about 5 times the size of Greater London.   

I hope my posts are helpful and not causing you unnecessary stress, I think it's a great adventure I really do. However, I want you to make sure you account for everything and aren't left with it turning in to a negative experience

No not at all your giving me a lot of help. Its just a bit daunting coming out to a new country where we don't know anything or anyone we just don't know where to start x

Guest The Pom Queen
8 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:

I'm confused now, what is metro Melbourne, I thought it was the main area.

No Melbourne City Centre is called the CBD (central business district), if people live down in Berwick they are still classed as living in Melbourne.

If your son has autism I'd say you have quite a raft of problems that might be worth discussing with the Department of Education ahead of time. He might well not get any additional support in schools in Victoria even if you weren't on a temporary visa (their disability criteria are the tightest in the country) and at one stage they were talking of charging cost price for support for students with disabilities on temporary visas - I've been away a while so not sure what came of that. On balance, though, for just a year you might be better to home school him for the whole time (there are thriving home school networks but you need to be registered with the Department for permission)

If you have any aspirations for permanent settlement you need to be aware that a child with autism could be a deal breaker and you might want to discuss with George Lombard or Peter Bollard about visa chances - they're the ones most usually recommended in cases of disability/medical issues.

• 1 month later...