Dogs to UK

peonyrose1900

Unless the listing clearly states no pets/dogs it always worth asking. And making clear they are not big or loud and are well looked after (ie not left outside all day barking). Offering to pay a bigger deposit/bond can also help. And of course it'll be written in the contract to get carpets etc professionally cleaned when moving out. 

Your pool of properties will be smaller but you can find rentals that accept dogs. 

I think given most people keep their dogs inside in the UK it perhaps causes landlords to be a bit pickier. 

Go for more rural areas and chances are you'll find something. Consider putting the dogs into kennels for a few weeks if you need to while house hunting. 

Look for cottages on estates or large farms as they often rent out and don't mind dogs. Tbh when we rented we never had an issue, was just a case of keeping tabs on every new listing and the agents and making sure we were on their books to get an early viewing.

28 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

we moved back from oz last year and found it much more dog friendly. Had no issues finding a place to live. Dogs are welcome on public transport, in pubs, cafes hotels and even a lot of shops

I remember taking our labrador into pubs and she used to travel from Liverpool down to London on the train with me when I visited my mother in law.

There are a few pubs in Sydney where dogs are allowed.  We used to take ours when we went to The Henson in Marrickville.

http://eatdrinkplay.com/sydney/10-best-sydney-dog-friendly-pubs/

dog in pub.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

When we first came back, we moved to the south east and were looking at some of the most desirable areas - Ascot and similar. Opted for Windsor. No problems finding lots of choice in any. Even had no problem with temporary accomodation for arrival via air bnb. My wife goes everywhere with him now.

I am currently working on a project near Newcastle and staying at a holiday park at Whitley Bay. Dog friendly. Today, while I am at work, the wife will get a bus - with the dog to Sunderland - to visit a museum - with the dog. Have lunch at a nice cafe with him.

He is even welcome in the pharmacy where she picks up my prescriptions

• Like 1

I remember taking our labrador into pubs and she used to travel from Liverpool down to London on the train with me when I visited my mother in law.
There are a few pubs in Sydney where dogs are allowed.  We used to take ours when we went to The Henson in Marrickville.
http://eatdrinkplay.com/sydney/10-best-sydney-dog-friendly-pubs/
5927b4dd62042_doginpub.jpg.23e801d16b38140aa9988ef522485360.jpg

Thanks great news thank you [emoji8]

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

When we first came back, we moved to the south east and were looking at some of the most desirable areas - Ascot and similar. Opted for Windsor. No problems finding lots of choice in any. Even had no problem with temporary accomodation for arrival via air bnb. My wife goes everywhere with him now.
I am currently working on a project near Newcastle and staying at a holiday park at Whitley Bay. Dog friendly. Today, while I am at work, the wife will get a bus - with the dog to Sunderland - to visit a museum - with the dog. Have lunch at a nice cafe with him.

Getting excited great news thankyou for sharing

Wow sounds great - getting more confident thx for sharing [emoji8]

Unless the listing clearly states no pets/dogs it always worth asking. And making clear they are not big or loud and are well looked after (ie not left outside all day barking). Offering to pay a bigger deposit/bond can also help. And of course it'll be written in the contract to get carpets etc professionally cleaned when moving out. 
Your pool of properties will be smaller but you can find rentals that accept dogs. 

Than you [emoji8]

Thank you [emoji8]

Wow that's awesome- looking forward to being able to do that. Cheers [emoji8]

• 2 months later...

Some housing associations will not allow pets but I'd expect you will be looking at private rentals at which case its at the landlords discretion if they allow them or not. Lots will, lots won't. Some prefer renting to people with dogs over people with kids. 

Also in some buildings if they are flats or some such they may possibly limit or not allow dogs/cats etc in the small print. 

I think you'll be fine renting privately and would find something to suit. May take a bit longer or require a bit of a bigger bond but I can't see it being an issue. 

I'd just ensure wherever you are you find a decent vet (one that offers a 24 hour on call or is part of a local vet share group that rotate through the practices each night) and can access some walks etc with ease for them. Its not like Aus at all re dog parks etc and many footpaths, public rights of way and countryside (following the rules there re livestock etc) to walk dogs in. 

• 5 months later...
On 26/05/2017 at 08:40, peonyrose1900 said:

Hello I've been offered a teaching position in the UK but theres no way I'm going without my dogs. Transport from Australia is easy. Just worried about finding rental property. There beautiful papillons- perfect. But I see that many landlords don't want pets. Help!!!!

You mention that moving transport for your dogs from Australia to the UK was easy to do. 

Can I ask for any tips on this, indicative cost, time, crates etc...any advice really on it as some of the costs look astronomical but we are taking our dog either way? 

We are looking at company websites but have no idea what is true and what isn't and whether we are potentially over-paying for something. 

We have a small dog who is 2 years old we would like to bring with us. 

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BackToTheBlighty said:

You mention that moving transport for your dogs from Australia to the UK was easy to do. 

Can I ask for any tips on this, indicative cost, time, crates etc...any advice really on it as some of the costs look astronomical but we are taking our dog either way? 

We are looking at company websites but have no idea what is true and what isn't and whether we are potentially over-paying for something. 

We have a small dog who is 2 years old we would like to bring with us. 

Cheers

There are a number of companies that can arrange it. We used Dogtainers who were excellent. The crate and things depends on the dog, but the shipping company will advise and provide the crate. 

Get them involved at an early stage. 

The dog needs to have a rabies jab 28 days before the flight. Other than that it is very much up to you. We arranged for ours to fly the same day as my wife, but on an earlier flight as he flew Emirates who require a stop in Dubai for several hours and then once they reach the UK it is a wait of several hours before you can pick him up - but no quarantine thankfully. So, my wife landed, we had a bite to eat and went to the animal reception centre. The shipping company will advise you on coordinating your flight with the dogs. 

Costs are based on the size. All up, we paid just under $3000 for our chihuahua including the rabies jab. 

• Like 3