Serving Military - Discharge Date Faff

sarboy

Hi all, 

My official discharge date from the RAF is 04 Mar 18, however my last working day is 15 Dec 17, when we fly to Brisbane.

I have been told that my Partner Visa cannot be granted until Mar 18 (discharge date) and I will have to enter Australia on a different Visa (so I will be unable to work for 3-4 months), then leave for 5 days to have the Partner one issued.

I have had friends do this previously and they were granted visas before the official discharge date. Can any one shed any light on this please? I don't want to annoy my case officer by asking "are you sure you are correct?" Maybe there is some Gov policy somewhere I can look up?

Fingers crossed for some help!

I haven't heard of it, but it wouldn't surprise me as giving PR to someone still a member of foreign countries military would be unusual. Maybe give a agent a call. It could be that the people who you know who have gone, have gone on a different stream to you - there are two partner visas, one is a permanent visa, the other is a provisional visa

Thanks for your response. That makes a lot of sense. 

My friend and I are both Brits, married to Aussies, both applied for the same PR partner visa. He emigrated 2 years ago. His visa was granted with 3 months left of military service. Perhaps it's a change in policy? Who knows! 

I don't expect anything for nothing but some guidance would be gratefully received.