12 month secondment

Average is about 12 weeks iirc. 

If they are paying both ways (and you have it in writing to cover yourselves legally) then perhaps ship some stuff. But for 12 months I'd not be looking to ship an entire house contents. Just personal effects that I would want in the year, perhaps some furniture that can easily be shipped back. And some kitchen stuff. For the rest I'd be having a shop round op shops, Kmart and so on to cover the basics. 

12 weeks is average but if you go for a shared container it can take a month longer. Realistically you will be without your stuff for 6  to 8 months out of 18 since it has to go back as well. I did a secondment in the US when I was living in Australia and had a few boxes sent. This is a relatively common occurrence for shipping companies so ask them what they offer.

It is rare to get furnished rentals so you would need to buy second hand stuff or stay in serviced apartments  but these are expensive however you can get discounts for  long term bookings. Check out Meriton to give you an idea of costs.

On 5/24/2017 at 07:33, sunshinedawn said:

how long does it take to arrive in Australia.

Airfreight is the quickest method and suitable if you're only taking the basic essentials or if you're moving with an employer who gives you an air freight allowance.

If you're shipping by sea then it depends on the method of shipment. Quickest will be 8-11 weeks if you have your own exclusive use container or Less than Container Load (LCL) shipment (which is where your shipment is packed by your moving company, crated and sent via a consolidator, customs cleared and collected by your mover for delivery back to you). If you use a groupage shared load service where your removal company loads your shipment with other customers of theirs heading to the same destination you could be looking at up to 12-16 weeks. Hope that helps? 

Hope that helps!