190 visa - job offer?

I've recently had a 189 visa EOI lodged through my visa agent under '233914 Engineering Technologist' which is likely to take time to go forward as the quota for this is full until July, so to hedge my bets I plan to also lodge an EOI for a 190 visa for Victoria.

The agents have said Victoria are very picky and reject a lot of cases, so suggest it may be helpful to try to get a letter from potential employers either showing interest from them or actually of being offered a job. I've done so and applied for jobs/contacted employers with no real success.

I was wondering if anyone else has experience of getting a positive/negative outcome for a 190 Victoria visa, and can advise how important this letter is, bearing in mind time is not on my side for various reasons? Is it worth just going forward with the application as-is, bearing in mind I have 70 points?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by ExperienceIt
typo

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I think you've been given strange advice there. Everything I've read or been told states that potential employers are unlikely to entertain an application from someone who hasn't already had their visa granted. I've applied for a 190 to Victoria and we're currently waiting for our visa grant but while we were waiting, we thought that my husband may as well try to apply for jobs anyway (he's a telecoms technician) and, sure enough, nobody seems interested without a visa grant. He was able to contact potential employers and some would happily give advice but not a job offer.

It does, of course, depend on your occupation I guess as some are in much more demand than others.

When I applied to Vic as a teacher I had to register with the teaching association there - I guess to show my seriousness (it cost £150 so you wouldn't apply unless serious!). So, maybe your agent is suggesting that you obtain something to show you're serious too?? Not sure...

As I said, I'm no expert but hopefully someone else 'in the know' will be more able to help you

"Offer of employment

You will be required to provide a current job offer in your nominated occupation to support your visa nomination application if:

If required, you must provide evidence of a current Victorian job offer in your nominated occupation and a Confirmation of Employment form to support your visa nomination application.

Applicants who are currently working in their nominated occupation in Victoria and have been for at least six months may be exempt from meeting higher English language requirements specified for their occupation and should therefore apply for visa nomination.   

To provide evidence of your job offer, you should provide a contract or letter of offer from your employer which includes your employer’s Australian Business Number (ABN) and contact details.  The employment must be in your nominated occupation for permanent (not casual) work, for at least 20 hours per week, and for at least six continuous months."

8 hours ago, Yikes2017 said:

I'm not an expert on this by any means but I think you've been given strange advice there. Everything I've read or been told states that potential employers are unlikely to entertain an application from someone who hasn't already had their visa granted. I've applied for a 190 to Victoria and we're currently waiting for our visa grant but while we were waiting, we thought that my husband may as well try to apply for jobs anyway (he's a telecoms technician) and, sure enough, nobody seems interested without a visa grant. He was able to contact potential employers and some would happily give advice but not a job offer.

It does, of course, depend on your occupation I guess as some are in much more demand than others.

When I applied to Vic as a teacher I had to register with the teaching association there - I guess to show my seriousness (it cost £150 so you wouldn't apply unless serious!). So, maybe your agent is suggesting that you obtain something to show you're serious too?? Not sure...

As I said, I'm no expert but hopefully someone else 'in the know' will be more able to help you

You're absolutely right - no-one is interested without a grant - why would they be?! Yet the agents have suggested that it would 'add strength to the application', which I understand but don't feel is very practical in reality. I think receiving interest or a job offer is more relevant for someone transferring over from, say, a temporary visa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

"Offer of employment

You will be required to provide a current job offer in your nominated occupation to support your visa nomination application if:

If required, you must provide evidence of a current Victorian job offer in your nominated occupation and a Confirmation of Employment form to support your visa nomination application.

Applicants who are currently working in their nominated occupation in Victoria and have been for at least six months may be exempt from meeting higher English language requirements specified for their occupation and should therefore apply for visa nomination.   

To provide evidence of your job offer, you should provide a contract or letter of offer from your employer which includes your employer’s Australian Business Number (ABN) and contact details.  The employment must be in your nominated occupation for permanent (not casual) work, for at least 20 hours per week, and for at least six continuous months."

Thanks Raul. Neither of those stipulations apply to me thankfully, I think this request from my agent is more about showing my worth, but am not sure how helpful doing it would be.

I was in your exact position this time last year, waited till july and got my 189 in october, some where getting grant in August. You probably won't migrate now anyway before you get your house in order, so my advise is to wait until July only 2 months away and get 189 with freedom to move anywhere you want.

On 5/25/2017 at 13:07, javadxster said:

I was in your exact position this time last year, waited till july and got my 189 in october, some where getting grant in August. You probably won't migrate now anyway before you get your house in order, so my advise is to wait until July only 2 months away and get 189 with freedom to move anywhere you want.

Thanks javadxster, interesting to hear of someone else who's been there before. I'm actually in aus already on a tourist visa, waiting, so the quickest route is the best... Looks like I'm going to have to go home for a couple of months to work though since it's taking so long.

• 10 months later...

Useful thread above albeit last year - BUT truthfully  - I agree how would any employer give someone a job offer without a visa? 

So ExperienceIt - what did you eventually do then for the letter showing your employability? did you get the 190 visa?

What have people submitted for the 190 visa to prove you are employable ( obv skills assessment, CV, all the other supporting docs already)...

I can't find any caveats for my occupation dietitian for the 190. Migration agent , similar to ExperienceIt stating  above 'it will hold strength for your application' if you have a job offer of employment and not just been job hunting.

Help....