You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

deryans

South Australia has an “appalling” reputation

With the state’s jobless rate now at 7.3 per cent and leading the nation by a clear margin, Mr Weatherill on Tuesday warned even more people will “cascade” into the unemployed queue when Holden closes in October while hinting the State Budget will lift debt to fund new infrastructure.

Mr Weatherill said the economy built by former premier Sir Thomas Playford was “unwinding” and would end “in a very sharp and sudden fashion” when Holden shuts in late October.

“The truth is that SA’s reputation around the nation is appalling,” Mr Weatherill told an industry lunch.

“You would hear it, anyone who travels interstate, that we’re the butt of jokes.......

When I was a kid, it seemed like they made something new every day. Some, gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But six billion people, just imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all…........

Isn't it strange, I have numerous friends in Adelaide both Brits and Aussies and they all love SA and wouldn't live anywhere else. In fact one of them gave Queensland a go and hated it. Maybe SA is going to be the next Perth, then maybe once that's over they will look at another state to condemn 

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

This kind of negativity does worry us!  We got our PR visas for SA in March but as yet have made no further plans to make the move, other than gauge what is happening on the job front from afar.  But, we have had two great recces there and it will ultimately not hold us back, what is keeping us here in the short term has little/nothing to do with what may be in South Australia.

As for the Holden factory closing, that has been a very long goodbye - it was announced in 2014.... If I worked there I would have looked to have something lined up by now or left already....

• Like 1

Kirsty is the main applicant. Vetassess rec/proc 17/12/13 (finally) a positive assessment 10/06/14. ILETS 19/03/16 overall 8.5 score rec 01/04/16, 190 EOI for SA Lodged 07/12/16. EOI Approved 24/01/17. 190 visa submitted 24/02/17, CO 06/03/17 Medicals 20/03/17. 190 for SA granted 05/04/17. Arrival in SA 22/04/19. It's been quite a journey !

8 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Isn't it strange, I have numerous friends in Adelaide both Brits and Aussies and they all love SA and wouldn't live anywhere else. In fact one of them gave Queensland a go and hated it. Maybe SA is going to be the next Perth, then maybe once that's over they will look at another state to condemn 

Not sure if you read it through, it would seem that it is the current Premier of South Australia:  Jay Weatherill that is saying the state is appalling and is the butt of jokes amongst the eastern states (and overseas too) ?

Edited by deryans

When I was a kid, it seemed like they made something new every day. Some, gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But six billion people, just imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all…........