Bomb blast at Manchester Arena several dead.

Hmmm the posts on this thread over the last few days have made for some insightful reading.

The nub of the debate, summarised seems to be is it possible to integrate or must we also turn into what we despise (as Western Democracies), and become like dictators and fundamentalists ourselves to turn out those 3000 alleged radicals from Britain - then we can turn on the radicals in other parts of the world...

I'm not convinced that giving up our democratic values is the answer.

Radicals and Dictators have no problem waging wars on their own or outsiders so as far as the current crop of global fundamentalists would be concerned, we'd just be a more 'familiar' 'enemy'. So we are still at square one/no better off if we supplant our democracies for dictatorships.

What the cleric/Imam combo had to say was most interesting. To me that indicated a recognition that some Muslim leaders/community 'elders' are noting that not everything in the Quran is to be taken literally. Like not taking the Bible literally. From small acorns do mighty oaks grow.....

As someone pointed out baby steps to achieve some semblance of reform is needed and may be possible. It won't be easy or cheap, but the current zero-sum game of them and us (which radicals and fundamentalists love) isn't exactly cheap either....

That, and I'm afraid, staying out of the Middle East for the foreseeable future may just help. I can't see the latter happening very soon, given that there is another unresolved situation - that is the Israeli-Palestine situation. Looks luge we are doomed!!![emoji853]

I don't think it's going to be

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Oh, I guess the third option is declare war and start WWIII. That's not looking like an attractive option either.....hmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Declare war against whom ?

The whole world is already at war with ISIS if that is what you mean.

Declare war against whom ?

The whole world is already at war with ISIS if that is what you mean.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

No Parley, we are indeed fighting a war against ISIS, but we are not yet on a World War footing. In my view we will be on such a footing when one group of nation states declares war on another. ISIS, as much as they would like to have us believe they are a nation state, are not and never will be.

• 10 months later...
7 minutes ago, simmo said:

You blame who ever carried out the particular atrocity and if it was ideologically driven you might want to shine a light on that too.

It really is quite simple.

There seems to be an awful lot of nutters out there of all shapes, sizes and colours.  Nowhere is absolutely safe these days.

• Like 1

ISIS haven't gone.

But surely Newjez you will blame Theresa May or Donald Trump like you usually do. Or Tony Blair or Gorge Bush or the police or the army.

You will always blame anyone but the perpetrators. You have endless excuses and justifications for them.

The excuses you made on behalf of the Manchester bomber in particular were really sickening and offensive to me.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

ISIS haven't gone.

But surely Newjez you will blame Theresa May or Donald Trump like you usually do. Or Tony Blair or Gorge Bush or the police or the army.

You will always blame anyone but the perpetrators. You have endless excuses and justifications for them.

The excuses you made on behalf of the Manchester bomber in particular were really sickening and offensive to me.

Isis will never disappear ...its not an organisation ,its a state of mind .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Act of betrayal: Manchester bomber was rescued by the Royal Navy from Libyan warzone and evacuated back to Britain - three years before he slaughtered 22 people at a pop concert

• Both Salman Abedi and his brother were rescued from Libya by the Royal Navy
  • The HMS Enterprise took Abedi to Malta before he headed back home to Britain
  • He was on a gap year from Manchester College when he was saved by the ship 
  • Abedi’s younger brother Hashem is in jail in Tripoli facing trial over the attack

• Sad 1