Autumn needs to get a move on. It's winter in a week and it's still not here!

MARYROSE02

19 Degrees Centigrade according to my phone app in Surry Hills (Sydney) at 1230. I just went out dressed in shorts, polo shirt, sandals, with a flanno jacket which I don't really need. I usually take a jacket to work now  but by the time I'm at the station I have to take it off because I'm hot.

My brother feels the cold more than me, putting the electric fire on in the bathroom or the little heater in the lounge but I've hardly bothered so far. It could, of course, turn cold in June but then it will only be three months until it's spring again.

7 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

19 Degrees Centigrade according to my phone app in Surry Hills (Sydney) at 1230. I just went out dressed in shorts, polo shirt, sandals, with a flanno jacket which I don't really need. I usually take a jacket to work now  but by the time I'm at the station I have to take it off because I'm hot.

My brother feels the cold more than me, putting the electric fire on in the bathroom or the little heater in the lounge but I've hardly bothered so far. It could, of course, turn cold in June but then it will only be three months until it's spring again.

t's 16C here in Devonport today.  It was a lot colder when I was out and about earlier this morning.  I think July is the coldest month but it's not that bad.  I know what you mean about some people feeling the cold more than others.  I'm in the bracket of the folk who don't mind the cold.  I have neighbours who disappear up to Qld for the warmer weather every year.  

Lashed rain most of the weekend in Perth.  Getting cold at night and in the mornings.  IME Perth has bigger swings in temperture than Sydney, can be nice from 10 to 4 in winter but drops 10 degrees or more at night time.  

Plus you feel the cold more in Australia because they don't build houses to as a high a standard with proper insulation.  I feel colder in winter in Australia than Ireland.  In Ireland, they have insulation and central heating (& nice cosy pubs with a fire :))

2 hours ago, Collie said:

Lashed rain most of the weekend in Perth.  Getting cold at night and in the mornings.  IME Perth has bigger swings in temperture than Sydney, can be nice from 10 to 4 in winter but drops 10 degrees or more at night time.  

Plus you feel the cold more in Australia because they don't build houses to as a high a standard with proper insulation.  I feel colder in winter in Australia than Ireland.  In Ireland, they have insulation and central heating (& nice cosy pubs with a fire :))

Yes, we found Perth to be colder at night in the winter than Sydney too.  It's colder than both here in Devonport but we've made the house cosy.  I think most UK people have just become used to insulation/central heating.  Being much older, I was brought up without central heating and still to this day find many houses really stuffy.  The first house we bought in the UK a lot of years ago had to be completely updated.  New roof, insulation, central heating and double glazed - took us a while to do it all then we sold it and came to Australia. o.O OH makes sure our houses have been brought up to standard here. 

• Like 1

You'd need it in Tassie (and Canberra, Snowy mountains etc)

To be fair, you only need central heating in Sydney/Perth for a few months per year but basic insulation should be in the building codes, it would help it cool in summer too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Collie said:

To be fair, you only need central heating in Sydney/Perth for a few months per year but basic insulation should be in the building codes, it would help it cool in summer too.

Good insulation should be mandatory.

On 22/05/2017 at 16:17, Collie said:

Canberra is ❄️ at night. To the point I wear about three layers including a body warmer to bed. Must be a soft Pommie :-/

• 2 weeks later...