Parent migration to Australia

Hi, I'd love any insights you may have in relation to parent migration to Australia. 

I am now an Austalian citizen, having been here for 5 years. My sister is also here and we would like my mum to be able move over for a couple of years with the view of moving permanently eventually. I realise that there is the aged parent visa that costs $40k or the one that has an 18 year waiting list as well as the new 5 year visa announced recently costing $20k. I just wondered if there are any visas that allow people to come for 1 year or so and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Many thanks :)

49 minutes ago, HayleyB21 said:

Hi, I'd love any insights you may have in relation to parent migration to Australia. 

I am now an Austalian citizen, having been here for 5 years. My sister is also here and we would like my mum to be able move over for a couple of years with the view of moving permanently eventually. I realise that there is the aged parent visa that costs $40k or the one that has an 18 year waiting list as well as the new 5 year visa announced recently costing $20k. I just wondered if there are any visas that allow people to come for 1 year or so and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Many thanks :)

Hi Hayley.

To clarify:

>  The $40k you have mentioned is for a Contributory Parent visa.   I usually advise single CP visa applicants to budget for closer to A$60k, to include all Visa Application Charges, the Assurance of Support bond, and medicals.   For couples the amount is closer to A$110k.

>  The Aged Parent visa (subclass 804) is a non Contributory Parent visa, and is a visa that takes many years to process to a decision.   The costs for a subclass 804 visa are somewhat less than the CP visas, though the visa cost differential can reduce pretty quickly.  For example, if the parent/s want to buy a property in Australia - Stamp Duty costs are generally increasing for properties bought by non Aus citizens/permanent residents, plus there is a fee payable to the Foreign Investment Review Board of at least A$5k.

>  The temporary parent visa (not yet available) will cost $10k for 5 years; it appears likely this will be capable of being renewed once for a further $10k fee.

>  As mentioned already, a long stay visitor visa might be an option if Mum is happy to depart at the end of 12 months.

Does this help?

Feel able to send a message to me (click on my name to the left of this post) if you and/or your sister would like to discuss strategy for your mother more fully.

Best regards.

• Like 3

Alan, thank you ever so much for your very comprehensive response and for taking the time to do this, I'm so grateful. Trying to get information like this online is so confusing, I should have come to PIO in the first place! Thank you! 

I just wondered, if she came out on the 12 month tourist visa, could she apply for the non contributory visa while she's here and get a bridging visa? If the conditions of the NCPV are too restrictive could she apply for the new 5yr visa while she's here? Do you know what the processing time is for the 5yr visa? 

I will have a chat to Mum and to my sister and see what they think and then come back to young to discuss the best option. 

Many thanks again! 

Hayley

Hi Hayley, we have just started looking at this for my mother-in-law and have been told if she comes over on a holiday visa and applies for the 804 whilst she's here (she's of pension age) then she will be put on a bridging visa which will allow her to stay here until it's granted. (Which could take 30 years!) She wouldn't be able to leave the country whilst on the bridging visa but for her that won't create a problem and she will live with us so doesn't have to worry about the house purchase. (Just noticed you posted about this exact option above! :-))

8 hours ago, Paur said:

Hi Hayley, we have just started looking at this for my mother-in-law and have been told if she comes over on a holiday visa and applies for the 804 whilst she's here (she's of pension age) then she will be put on a bridging visa which will allow her to stay here until it's granted. (Which could take 30 years!) She wouldn't be able to leave the country whilst on the bridging visa but for her that won't create a problem and she will live with us so doesn't have to worry about the house purchase. (Just noticed you posted about this exact option above! :-))

But she could fail the medical and have to leave or she could fail to get medical care under the reciprocal arrangement because it is deemed not essential and then she would be faced with having to return for treatment but not be eligible for the NHS. Far better to go for the cpv and be done with it, much safer.

I haven't heard of anyone on the bridging visa having an issue getting medical treatment Quoll, do you know someone this has happened to? Also it is her intention to get private health insurance so surely that would cover it? The failing of the medical is a worry though tbh. Do you know if she would be able to apply for the new 5 year temporary visa if she failed the medical for the 804?

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

But she could fail the medical and have to leave or she could fail to get medical care under the reciprocal arrangement because it is deemed not essential and then she would be faced with having to return for treatment but not be eligible for the NHS. Far better to go for the cpv and be done with it, much safer.

14 minutes ago, Paur said:

I haven't heard of anyone on the bridging visa having an issue getting medical treatment Quoll, do you know someone this has happened to? Also it is her intention to get private health insurance so surely that would cover it? The failing of the medical is a worry though tbh. Do you know if she would be able to apply for the new 5 year temporary visa if she failed the medical for the 804?

The reciprocal arrangement isn't full cover - I recall someone finding that a particular investigation which may have been cancer wasn't covered for example. Of course if you have private health cover that would cover any elective issues. The premiums might be on the high side though.  Why not just go through the cpv process while she is younger and healthier? 

Yeah, I know the reciprocal isn't full cover, we were on a 457 for a few years. Is there not a $40k cost with the CPV though on top of the visa charge and won't she need a medical with that one too? When we got our medicals for our PR they weren't done until just before the visa was granted so surely with the 804 they won't do one prior to issuing the bridging visa? Also she's 79!

22 hours ago, Quoll said:

The reciprocal arrangement isn't full cover - I recall someone finding that a particular investigation which may have been cancer wasn't covered for example. Of course if you have private health cover that would cover any elective issues. The premiums might be on the high side though.  Why not just go through the cpv process while she is younger and healthier? 

On 26/05/2017 at 21:10, Paur said:

A Bridging Visa A is granted when a subclass 804 visa application is lodged.   A BVA has no travel facility.

A Bridging Visa B can be applied for, which allows for a return to Australia.   Applicants for a BVB must be in Australia when applying.

Best regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...