Renting - getting a head start

adele244

Hi Guys,

We are moving to the Sunshine Coast in a couple of months and will be doing an holiday let for a month and in that time (hopefully) getting sorted with a long term let.

I am slightly nervous about us achieving this in a month and I wondered if there was anything I could do prior to going to give us a head start to save time whilst over there.

For example can you register your interest with as many Estate Agents as possible before you go? If so what do you need to give them, what do they want / need to see?

Many thanks for your help x x x 

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @adele244

Firstly no agents will acknowledge you until you arrive.

What you can do is keep an eye out on rentals and enquire when their open for inspection day is. If it's a property you think you would definitely like them I suggest downloading an application form and completing it before you view the property. Also take a copy of your passports, visa, bank statement if you have a good balance, employment contract if you have one. I would also include a covering letter saying you have just arrived in Australia, what your occupations are and a little about yourself. Then once you arrive you can go and view the property and if you like it you will get your application in before anyone else.

Thank you @The Pom Queen  

I know some people get their rentals sorted before going, I'm not sure how they do that. I definitely wouldn't want to do that without physically being there to see it.

I suppose I could start by drafting a letter and getting copies of bank stuff prior to going so it all ready when we get there.

Thank you very much for your help x x x 

Guest The Pom Queen

They probably have someone to view them for them on the ground or it's an agent stuck with a property they can't rent out. 99% of agents will not let you rent a property without viewing it and believe me the way agents manipulate photos you wouldn't want to. When I ran the relocation business we showed clients around properties that looked stunning from the photos and once there you wouldn't even put your dog in them.

Just goes to show...never believe what you see until it is with your own eyes! :(

By the way @The Pom Queen If I had a choice and the jobs were there, I would still love to live in Lockyer, I loved the locals we met there, the large blocks and properties at a fraction of the price. I just loved the place.

When we are settled, one day will have come over and meet for a coffee x x x 

22 hours ago, scubacam said:

This has been really helpful to read as I'm terrified about this also, we are heading to Sydney with a 2 year old , 1 dog and 2 cats! So nervous about finding recent rental!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

@scubacamWhen are you moving to Sydney? I moved here 6 years ago and rented for 5 years with 2 cats, we came first got the rental sorted and then shipped them over -we had 3 rentals in that time and had no problem with the cats - the agent added a "Pet" clause to the agreements basically steam cleaning all the carpets before we moved out, cats had to be kept in a night which is a given here anyway, and pay for any damage - Pretty understandable and something we would have done anyway.

As previously mentioned, agents won't touch you until you are here - 99% of all Sydney rentals have inspection days so you will be looking at them in 15minute slots usually on a Wednesday and Saturday with all the other wannabe tenants - its pretty brutal and you have to plan your day around the inspection slots - most agents won't do private viewings as the current tenants are usually in situ, saying that I got 1 private inspection as the house was empty and I was already renting via that agent. 

My main advice is BE PREPARED, if you think by the online pictures that it is the house for you download and complete the application for before going and take copies of you passports, visas, banks summaries etc... so that you can hand to the agent on the day if you like it. Also be prepared for large numbers attending the open days.

Best places to look is Realestate.com.au and Domain.com.au - Do not filter "pets accepted" when searching - you will usually see in the description if pets are a no no - so if there is nothing to say that they are not accepted just put them on the application form and the agent/owners then look at what applications they have received and who they want to give it to.

happy to answer any Q's - just PM me. What part of Sydney are you looking at?

Good Luck!

Guest The Pom Queen
On 21/05/2017 at 17:30, adele244 said:

Just goes to show...never believe what you see until it is with your own eyes! :(

By the way @The Pom Queen If I had a choice and the jobs were there, I would still love to live in Lockyer, I loved the locals we met there, the large blocks and properties at a fraction of the price. I just loved the place.

When we are settled, one day will have come over and meet for a coffee x x x 

Most certainly, just get a move on will you lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , we booked a holiday rental for three months before we arrived just to take the pressure off! There are several good holiday rental agencies and they had no problem booking us in, only issue was paying up front of course but it worked well and gave us time to look for a permanent rental once Holiday Mooloolaba were quite uncomplicated and Norm Martin in Cotton tree were quite reasonably priced. Just be aware they go up a lot in school holidays !!