School in Melbourne?

Bluedigby

My first post on this forum as looking ever more likely we will be moving to Melbourne with my husband's work. We have two girls aged 9 and 13 and I'm worried how I can transfer their education to Australia and possibly back again to the UK around 3 to 5 years time depending on how things go. Ideally we'd like to make Australia home for good but it might not be our choice!  My biggest concern is my eldest as if we had to come back at say end of her year 11 then she will have missed GCSEs but not have taken the IB by that age? Anyone any views on this? Do you think as there is a risk of coming back to the UK we should only look at IB schools? They are at private schools here but especially for the eldest, we prefer a school with high pastoral care, not overly academic pushy and not too big she would get lost in.  Would love help on this thank you!

Guest The Pom Queen

I suppose that's what you need to consider, if they will be looking at going to university on their return. A lot can happen in 5 years and a lot of things may change in this period. It may be on your return your daughter could attend college.

Fraught TBH.  Once you have committed to one country or the other at about age 14 you should stick with it until the kid finishes university, there are too many unknowns - the equivalence of final school year qualifications, university international fees, etc etc.  If there is a chance that you will be returning to UK I would be ensuring that a child is in the UK system until the end of A levels at least - either boarding or staying with family/friends.  A levels travel to Australia better than Aussie qualifications do in the other direction.  An IB at the end of Aussie school would be sensible but you will then be slugged with international fees

• Like 1

Just be wary that if you come across to Australia and live here for 4/5 years and then move back to the UK just as your eldest was looking at uni options, you may get stung for international fees as you've not been resident in UK prior to her going to Uni.