When did you ship your goods?

Ozzywoz

What are you guys planning on doing? Will you ship your goods weeks before you go and move straight into unfurnished rental accommodation? Or do you ship your stuff just before you go, move into furnished rental accommodation and then move again to unfurnished when you have all your things?

Shipping furniture
In 2008 we used PSS and they were excellent. We shipped a month before we left and it took about 12 weeks altogether. We shipped my car as well. All worked very well. Most rentals are not furnished but we had holiday accommodation for the first 6 weeks then a pertly furnished house. Good luck everyone I hope the parent visas come good soon.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Ozzywoz like @sooty has mentioned a lot of people go in to a holiday rental when they first arrive until they get a rental property they like. Sometimes it can be expensive to stay in this type of accommodation whilst you wait for your furniture so you can either see if you have friends and family you could stay with in the UK before you make your move or have a month in a rental and once that month is over buy a few things to tide you over. We find families with kids love this as they say they are camping and buy a blow up mattress, a few sleeping bags, an esky to keep things cool, a BBQ to cook on and an outdoor dining set to eat from.

Hi, This was a hard one for me to try and work out. I have booked PSS to come in and ship on the 15th June. It looks like our house sale will have completed at the end of June, however, we wont be going until at least 15th July, so it will have a month head start.

We are booking a months Airbnb or holiday lodge whichever is the cheapest for a month, then in that month find a long term rental and hopefully (pigs might fly) everything will come together and the container will have be docked and ready to be delivered!!! (Who am I fooling)

I did though check with PSS that if there was some delay with the house or a problem, I could cancel within 10 days notice and re-schedule.

I'd not do short term furnished for 12 weeks while waiting for my stuff to arrive. Too expensive. Most do a few weeks in short term and find a longer term rental and either make do till their things arrive or ship earlier from the UK. 

Personally I think you can manage with cheap/2nd hand items etc for a few weeks while waiting for your stuff. A few campiing things for the kitchen (plastic plates etc) and outside table setting bought new/2nd hand to use can be used as a dining table. Air beds are fine too. You don't need to go mad and buy all new stuff while waiting. Gumtree, garage sales and even stuff put out to take free from the roadside can all be made use of for a couple of months then given away or sold on again. 

As has been said, shipping earlier and just leaving the stuff you plan to ditch or recycle/sell can be good. Sleep on air beds and have a bit of an indoor camping thing going on for a few weeks. Its not bad, we did that as we sold most of our furniture and only shipped a small amount of stuff. We borrowed some items also from friends. 

We shipped our goods a few days before we arrived (this was in 2007) and took out a 12 week furnished rental.  By the time our goods arrived 12 weeks later, we'd bought and were ready to move into our new house (we'd always intended to buy not rent)

We sent all our stuff early and moved in with my mum for a bit.  Me and the kids stayed with my mum for about 7 weeks then flew over and stayed at the mother in laws for 2 weeks, at which point we had a long term rental sorted and our stuff had arrived so we moved in to our rental.

I shipped my stuff over the day before I moved. I left GB on the 5th January so didn't want to be left without my furniture over xmas. When i arrived in Sydney i stayed in an airbnb for a few weeks and found an apartment...the first week was a disaster...I got the keys on the sunday morning and left for Brisbane and Melbourne for work meetings that afternoon....getting back at 8pm on the Wednesday realising I had nowhere to sleep, I bought an airbed, duvet and pillow just before the shops closed....got home to realise it had no pump! fast forward 10 days and a new bed, fridge and washing machine arrived!

Thankfully my furniture is all here, I've bought a new car and life doesn't feel like an Australian version of Transporting now!