Hey I'm Ciara I'm 29 I'm a solo female traveller, I have my working holiday visa and my flights are booked for September. I'm really excited about making the move but also completely nervous and stressed and was hoping to get some advice on a few things. 

Are there any agencies I could maybe look at before I come over who would offer me help with setting up bank accounts and tax numbers if I already have my visa or are these a waste of money? And if so how will I get a tax number or bank account if I am staying in hostels with no fixed address? I feel like I need a checklist to ensure I bring everything when I come over! 

I will be turning 30 In March so when I get over in September I was thinking about getting stuck into the farm work straight away to try meet people and get it out of the way before it gets too hot. I will be flying to the gold Coast will there be any farm work around this area at this time? 

And lastly if I don't have any of the skills on the lists and the recent visa changes does this mean I will not be eligible for permanent residency and will have to return after 2 years? 

I feel like I have loads more questions but these are the major worries I have. I'm so excited but completely nervous at the same time and constantly overthinking my decision to move. 

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Ciara 

You can go to the ask NAB section of the forum about bank accounts who are one of Australia biggest banks and they will help directly. But, it is generally not too hard and NAB will open the account before you arrive. 

A tax number (tfn) can be done on line but only once you arrive

if you don't have an occupation on the occupation lists, then your only chance of staying beyond a holiday is to meet an Australian partner. 

• Like 1

Opening bank account and TFN is very simple. I wouldn't pay anyone to get that done. You can open bank account as soon as you get here. You can ask the bank to deliver your Debit card in the branch itself, so that you can collect it later but would wait till you have an accommodation to apply for the TFN. As it will be mailed out and it can take about a month to receive it.

• Like 2

As has been said, you can set up the TFN and bank account yourself. Don't waste your money paying someone to do it for you. TFN needs you to be in aus anyway iirc.

Check other thread in the WHV section for more info on farm work etc.

And correct re once 2 years are up, you will have to depart Aus if you are not eligible to gain another visa. Tbh no one can know how the visa process will be in 2 years as it can all change tomorrow.

I used a company called ultimate oz. they help with that stuff but I just used them because I wanted to meet people straight away. I don't know if it was worth the money though, probably not because I didn't travel with any of them after the week.  It's easy to set up your bank account, I applied for mine while I was in the UK. 

I can't help with farm work really, there's some good links on this site that the admin have put up. There's also some agencies etc.  

Have fun! I'm sure it'll be a great 1 or 2 years 

On 19/05/2017 at 11:59, Ciara said:

Hey I'm Ciara I'm 29 I'm a solo female traveller, I have my working holiday visa and my flights are booked for September. I'm really excited about making the move but also completely nervous and stressed and was hoping to get some advice on a few things. 

Are there any agencies I could maybe look at before I come over who would offer me help with setting up bank accounts and tax numbers if I already have my visa or are these a waste of money? And if so how will I get a tax number or bank account if I am staying in hostels with no fixed address? I feel like I need a checklist to ensure I bring everything when I come over! 

I will be turning 30 In March so when I get over in September I was thinking about getting stuck into the farm work straight away to try meet people and get it out of the way before it gets too hot. I will be flying to the gold Coast will there be any farm work around this area at this time? 

And lastly if I don't have any of the skills on the lists and the recent visa changes does this mean I will not be eligible for permanent residency and will have to return after 2 years? 

I feel like I have loads more questions but these are the major worries I have. I'm so excited but completely nervous at the same time and constantly overthinking my decision to move. 

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks Ciara 

Gumtree and this site is good to find fruit picking / regional jobs. http://www.fruitpickingjobs.com.au . 

My advice would be don't get stuck down in the cities to much, there are many beautiful little places up and down the east coast where you can do your regional work and not pay extortionate hostel rates in big city hostels. Travel a bit first meet others and find out where they did their regional work, maybe you'll meet some friends to do regional work with, this is how i found mine and it was the best time of my life! I personal found the smaller family owned hostels in small towns much friendlier atmosphere then the big city hostels which tend to have people using them as housing whilst working full-time jobs rather then to meet other travellers.

As others advise do not pay agencies to get your bank account, phone, TFN sorted! honestly its so easy when you get there! NAB is a great bank, just walk in with your visa info and your passport they will sort you out :) or ask at your hostel reception for help when you arrive or in the bar! :) 

I too was terrified when i first booked my ticket, il be honest i had never stayed in a hostel or even got on a plane on me own before! I stayed in sydney for a few weeks with a friend then he booted me out (nicely booted me out as I was hanging around again to scared to leave!!) and that was it i was off up the coast! I did things i never imagined i would be brave enough to ever do and It was the best experience of my life. Even when i came to do my farm work i dreaded it! But honestly I'm so proud of myself that i did it and i made some of the most amazing friends who are still some of my best friends to this day 7 years later

In terms of PR it is not a simply process at all. Don't go with the expectation you are staying, if you love the country and want to build your future there, then there is nothing stopping you coming home to UK, working your butt off to get qualified for a skilled job then applying to go back sometime in the future :)

Don't stress, your going to have a great time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever you feel most comfortable carting round. Go try some backpacks out and look at some suitcases.

If you plan to rough it a bit more then backpack all the way. Suitcases are too cumbersome in that respect. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 07:40, Ciara said:

Thank you all so much for your help that's definitely made me feel less stressed only one more question, Backpack or suitcase? 

Some good advice on this thread Ciara.   As far as suitcase or backpack goes..... I had a backpack but at times wished it had wheels, but my WHV time was in 2005/6 and I am sure that luggage manufacturers might have made such a beast since then, so have a look around.   The old adage of "you get what you pay for" is certainly true with luggage, so whatever you decide to buy, make sure it is a good brand and sturdy as it will take a bashing.   

You can open a bank account before you leave the UK.  I did a post about Australian banks a while back so have a look in the money section, they are 4 big ones and they all offer the same sort of products (CBA, Westpac, ANZ, NAB).  NAB sponsor this forum so is recommended above.  

My personal preference is CBA (Commonwealth Bank).  You can definitely open an account with them from the UK and even transfer money to it.  When you arrive, you go into a branch to activate the account and complete the AML (Anti Money Laudering) requirements (ID etc), get your atm card etc and you are good to go.  I think the whole process took about 20 minutes when I did it 6 years ago.  I think the other banks operate in a similar way.  CBA's online and app banking is world class and very easy to use.

INGDirect are another one having a look at.  You get free atms when you deposit $1,000 per month (can withdraw and re-deposit the money to qualify until you start working).  With other banks, if you use a different bank's/private atm you will be charged $2-$3 per withdrawal.

TFN is just filling out a form.  As others have said, I wouldn't be paying anybody to do these simple tasks for you.

Enjoy, you are going to have a blast.

• Thanks 1