Can you pack boxes yourself?

Ozzywoz

I think they do it for insurance and other reasons. 

If you want self packing, then you may well need to look at the self shipping option. 

We packed a lot of our stuff in clear boxes - the removals guys then were able to come in, make a quick assessment of the contents for customs purposes and then "export" wrap the boxes.

Seemed to work as we got all of our stuff the other end ;)

We packed a lot ourselves but found that the removers had to repackage everything for custom purposes they mark the shipping note with anything that the customs should look at, so it's better to let them do it all.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 2 weeks later...

technically you CAN pack your own boxes although different removal companies have different policies and yes, you're right this is mostly because of insurance as they may only be able to offer total loss coverage if they've not done the packing but also partially to reduce the risk of things getting packed that might cause customs issues. Any particular reason you'd like to do your own packing or is this just a personal preference? 

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 13:58, Ozzywoz said:

Whilst I'd love for the removal company to wrap items like sofas and tables etc, i was wondering if it's possible to pack your own boxes. Or does the removals company insist on doing this for insurance reasons?

Going from Aus to Uk they insist because of customs regulations.  They have to declare whether the goods were packed by them or the owners,  if packed by owners customs more likely to inspect.  Have to say they excluded items I had never thought of as being an issue.

I have packed boxes myself going from Perth to UK, and coming back again, no problems whatsoever.  The container didnt not even get opened when it got to the UK it was delivered with the seal still intact.  The only thing that got opened coming back to Australia was the bike box and one with tools in.

7 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Have to say the packers packed everything very thoroughly, they had industrial sized rolls of bubble wrap and used far more than I would have. If stuff gets damaged it will not be because of the packing but due to loading the container badly.

I guess if you pack the boxes the removalists can declare the shipment as packed by owner then if there are any customs issues you are liable for the fees not them