Confused...Brisbane or Melbourne

Fosh

Hi everyone,

I've written a few posts on here before asking for information about Melbourne and also Brisbane.

Me and my partner are feeling so confused. We decided to go for moving to Melbourne, put the house up for sale this week, we have had a lot of viewings already and a second viewing today which is fab, but it also means we might be moving sooner than we thought!

We're having second thoughts about Melbourne. My husband has family there who have offered to help with the kids ect so we thought it would be easier, but when my husband spoke to them this week to tell them the news...all offers of help seem to have been withdrawn or forgotten about.

If we're going alone and with no help that's fine but Melbourne would not have been our first choice if this was the case as house prices are ridiculous. We would love to try queensland but I don't have a clue on areas to look for, I have been going through old posts on here but it's not been easy trying to find the best areas that are flood free? We will work cbd also.

Would love to hear from other people who made the move to brisbane from the UK and are glad they did?

Help anyone! A confused lady....

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hi,

Currently living in Melbourne, but grew up in Brisbane so can give an open opinion.

Brisbane - For good family life and access to city Coorparoo, Camphill areas are great and stay away from the Logan City area. Further out a bit cheaper I would consider the Gap. Brisbane is a nice size city and getting out of the city to explore the wider areas is easy. Downsides are it gets dark year round relatively early, Summer humidity and rain may be too uncomfortable. I would also suggest it is still a BBQ city and great for that type of life, but this does limit variety of attractions to do. The city is very dependant on the resource industry for jobs and that can be a bit feast or famine.

I hope this helps and while Brisbane is a good place to live for families when young, it has limitations and I would definitely consider job opportunities in your field of expertise and whether there are good options for progression or it could be limiting.

Personally I think you would be more likely to have stronger work options in Melbourne and it would be tougher financially due to the housing cost. However it is possible to find good quality affordable suburbs if you will compromise on commute, proximity to public transport or depending on children's ages take a gamble on an improving suburb such as Preston.

• Like 2

I'm currently trying to choose between the hustle and activity of Melbourne and the more reliable sunshine of Brisbane. Will follow this thread faith interest. Can't afford Melbourne but also can't afford to get it wrong! Currently in Tauranga in NZ which is too quiet for me. Would Brisbane feel similar?! I need to have Stuff to do!!

I think it depends what you are looking for in life. I know of a number of neighbours I grew up with as a child found that in their mid/late 20's they had outgrown Brisbane and needed more excitement and variety.

However if outdoor living, more reliable weather and the fantastic beaches are sufficient it works. Also for young families it is fantastic as it is more relaxed.

In Melbourne affordability is a problem (not as bad as Sydney), however wages may be slightly higher and depending on circumstances it could be a good call to try an up and coming suburb. My situation needs good schools and therefore taking a risk on a suburb is not sensible. However if I had no children or very young children I would seriously consider suburbs such as Preston/West Footscray and Airport West as options for living as they do seem to be in good locations for commutes and proximity to newly improved suburbs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fidgetyfeet said:

Currently in Tauranga in NZ which is too quiet for me. Would Brisbane feel similar?! I need to have Stuff to do!!

The population of Brisbane and surrounding areas is now 3.5 million...vastly different to Tauranga, I would have thought.  It's certainly cast off its reputation as a large, slow  country town  which it had until the 1980s.  

• Like 2

Our son teaches music production in Brisbane, he is also a 'drum & Base' DJ, has his own record label, and released records, his social life is pretty hectic and visits to mum and dad are infrequent and often rescheduled around his life, so I am guessing that Brisbane is not such a boring place  for the late teens and twenty's (though he is now in is late thirty's)

we are quite happy with our life style and varied options we have in Brisbane too. My Nephew and niece both have uni degrees (masters) so again guessing that the local  High schools they went to are ok too.

Good luck with whatever your choice.

• Like 1

Two very different cities offering very different things - I've lived in Melbourne and spent a lot of time in Brisbane as we have friends there.

For me, Brisbane looks like a city but feels more like a town. It's a heck of a lot quieter than Melbourne, which will probably suit if you have a family and aren't looking for bustling late night bars and restaurants. We were there on Australia Day this year and couldn't believe how quiet the place was in comparison to Australia Day in Melbourne and Sydney.

Drawbacks (for me) are definitely the fact there aren't any beaches - yes there are some beaches in the Moreton Bay region or it you pay to go over to Stradbroke Island but they're definitely nothing to shout about (Staddy Island is nicer). If you want to enjoy a proper Aussie beach and the beach cafe culture etc you need to head to the sunshine or Gold Coast which is an hour or so drive north or south.

Brisbane city feels very new compared to Melbourne and looks just like any other generic concrete jungle lacking identity. Melbourne is full of character and history, quirky lane ways and amazing art work & buskers etc there is a really good vibe to place and so much going from art events to sporting events to world-class restaurants. Yes there will be similar things in Brisbane but on much of a smaller scale.

I think the biggest draw to Brisbane would be the year round better weather and cheaper houses, however, being inside a 35 degree humid house when you live inland and are an hours drive to a decent beach isn't a lot of fun, in fact it's a killer! Melbourne has lovely dry summers and is a much more bearable heat, but the rest of the year is very hit and miss and winters are cold, grey and wet. Winter in Brisbane is classed as the dry season so it's dry and sunny - you'll see the most rain probably in summer.

It's a tough call as both are great places. If you're not that bothered about the weather & are happy to be wearing your winter coat & boats for several months of the year I would opt for Melbourne 100%. If you do want the year round sun then Brisbane is the better option.... that being said, if the weather IS important to you then I'd probably look at the Gold Coast and give Brisbane a miss altogether.

Been close to the beach's depends on the suburb one lives in, in less than an hour we are on Gold Coast beaches or Redcliffe Peninsula, just over the hour to Sunshine coast, which, having just google mapped some distances in Melbourne, are similar times for some Melbourne suburbs. Picking suburbs nearer the coast in Brisbane gives you the summer sea breezes which are nice in the hot summers and even the warm springs and Autumns. As asconcannon says, Brisbane has the best year round weather.

Ok, so I haven't lived in either city but visited both many times (although it's been a while since I've been in Brisvegas).  Lived for a long time in Sydney and new'ish to Perth.  Use Sydney as a proxy for Melbs (Sydney a bit bigger, Melbourne better run) and Perth as a proxy for Brisbane (similar size - both resource driven).

Also it may help if you tell us what ages you guys are and your children are.

I think it would help you to go through a process, make a list of all things/reasons for moving to Australia and all things you want in your lifestyle,  Rank them in order of preference, then you (maybe with some help from here) you should be able to score/rank each city.  This may help you clarify your thinking.

Items may include:

Closeness to family (I take it your partner is from Melbs)

Beaches

Year around sunshine

Culture - gigs, shows, events, exhibitions etc

Nightlife - good small bars, restaurants 

Cost of living/property prices

Weather (year around sunshine, how hot is too hot, humidity, seasons etc)

International connectivity

Job prospects, salaries

If it was me, between those 2 cities it would be Melbourne all day long.  I like my nightlife and culture and would have better job propects in Melbourne.  I only left Sydney for family reasons and find Perth very quiet, plus it is doing it very tough on the job prospects at the moment.  Beautiful city (great beaches and weather)

If the family stuff is important, don't worry too much about that phone call, once you are on the ground, you guys will become closer to your partner's family over time.

What is your partner's preference?

Edited by Collie

15 minutes ago, Collie said:

Ok, so I haven't lived in either city but visited both many times (although it's been a while since I've been in Brisvegas).  Lived for a long time in Sydney and new'ish to Perth.  Use Sydney as a proxy for Melbs (Sydney a bit bigger, Melbourne better run) and Perth as a proxy for Brisbane (similar size - both resource driven).

Also it may help if you tell us what ages you guys are and your children are.

I think it would help you to go through a process, make a list of all things/reasons for moving to Australia and all things you want in your lifestyle,  Rank them in order of preference, then you (maybe with some help from here) you should be able to score/rank each city.  This may help you clarify your thinking.

Items may include:

Closeness to family (I take it your partner is from Melbs)

Beaches

Year around sunshine

Culture - gigs, shows, events, exhibitions etc

Nightlife - good small bars, restaurants 

Cost of living/property prices

Weather (year around sunshine, how hot is too hot, humidity, seasons etc)

International connectivity

Job prospects, salaries

If it was me, between those 2 cities it would be Melbourne all day long.  I like my nightlife and culture and would have better job propects in Melbourne.  I only left Sydney for family reasons and find Perth very quiet, plus it is doing it very tough on the job prospects at the moment.  Beautiful city (great beaches and weather)

If the family stuff is important, don't worry too much about that phone call, once you are on the ground, you guys will become closer to your partner's family over time.

What is your partner's preference?

Never heard of Brisbane being 'resource' driven before, and certainly never experienced as though it was!

8 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

Never heard of Brisbane being 'resource' driven before, and certainly never experienced as though it was!

I took my lead from Buyer 71 above who grew up in Brisbane.  The peaks and troughs of the resource rollercoaster are probably not as high/low as Perth but still a significant impact on the economic health of the city.

To clarify what I mean by resource driven and based on recent experience looking for employment in Australia (between April 14 and May 16) in procurement as a speciality. The majority of work for procurement professionals is in the resources sector (mining/gas/oil and support industries), followed by infrastructure (buildings/roads), then retail/services/banking followed by Government related work. While many organisations have a Brisbane Office it is more likely that the Head Office will be in Sydney or Melbourne (outside of the Resources Industry).

I personally love Brisbane and would jump at the opportunity to live there, however I found the potential to find good strong career options for me limiting as I did not have the project experience in heavy industry required for the majority of roles.

• Like 2

Thanks guys so much for all your comments and help in us making our decision. We decided to follow our hearts and go with Brisbane as a trial for a year and see how we get on with jobs ect and the kids settling. If it doesn't work then we will give melbourne a go.
As much as our heads are saying Melbourne, we just don't feel as excited ect to go.
Thank you again for all your help! X

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Fosh we first moved to Melbourne and stayed there 8 years, my honest opinion, it is very much like the UK and it can be easier to transition. If you arrive in winter (July) you will end up with two winters and it may get depressing especially with homesickness kicking in. We went on a holiday, visited Far North Queensland in the July and had sold the house and moved up there by September. 

'Everyone is different. We have had quite a few members move to Melbourne absolutely hate it and be on the verge of going back to the UK they have moved to Queensland or Perth and loved it. We have also had members do the reverse. Personally after living in both states I would choose Queensland but you need to consider work as your priority 

Hi Pom Queen, there is more job availability for us in melbourne but our hearts just aren't in it. My hubby is originally from there and doesn't like the areas we could probably afford to live. I'm also not that keen on Melbourne, I've been before to visit family and I found it too much like home (UK) and also don't like the thought of the long commutes like we did in London before having children.
We are going to give Brisbane a go and see how the job market goes for a year. Worse case we end up in Melbourne in the long run. Xx

Guest The Pom Queen
8 hours ago, paras said:

Perth best for living and job or brisbane i am confused tell me

Hi @paras the work situation has died down in Perth at the moment, but if you can find work there then I could happily live in Perth. 

On 21/05/2017 at 12:36, Fosh said:

Thanks guys so much for all your comments and help in us making our decision. We decided to follow our hearts and go with Brisbane as a trial for a year and see how we get on with jobs ect and the kids settling. If it doesn't work then we will give melbourne a go.
As much as our heads are saying Melbourne, we just don't feel as excited ect to go.
Thank you again for all your help! X

Not Adelaide then,  a wise choice,  a wise choice indeed.

I wish you luck,  Brissie has a  reasonable IT/Program/Project manager market,  obviously in terms of size you're looking SYD, MLB BRB an the rest don't really factor

On 22/05/2017 at 15:47, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @paras the work situation has died down in Perth at the moment, but if you can find work there then I could happily live in Perth. 

I'd happily live in the Maldives if I could get work comparable to what I earn now :)