Moving to Melbourne

sunshinedawn

My husband has been offered a secondment for 12 months in Melbourne with a salary of 85.000 dollars. Will this be enough for us ( we have an 8 yr old son) to live on. I will hopefully be looking to get a job. We have been told we will get a serviced property for the first 3 months and then we would have to rent for the other 9 months.

Any advice would be helpful as we know it is rather expensive in Australia.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

First ? is that including or excluding super.  Super is a mandatory pension contribution of 9.5%.

$85k salary (ie ex super) would be about $5,300 after tax, medicare etc.  IMO it is doable but could be tight in Melbourne and you certainly wouldn't be living the life of riley on it or be saving anything.  If you are both working you will be ok.  Which part of Melbourne is the job in and where would you be looking to live?  Accomodation will be you biggest expense, great that they will foot the bill for 3 months.  Have a look at domain.com.au to gauge rental prices

IMO - you will need $3-$4k pm ex rent for a comfortable lifestyle.  There are a couple of threads already asking a similar ? so have a look at them.

Also what visa will you guys be on - if it is a 457 (or the new equivalent) you may have to pay school fees also.  Others will give you an accurate number but I think it can be up to $5k for public school.

In short - great opportunity but I think he needs more money.  What does he do?  seek.com.au will give you an idea of what local people earn in his role.

Its not a bad wage a lot of people earn a lot less but being Australians they can manage on less as they have family etc.    Probably both have to work, rents are expensive for good property unless you go to the fringe of the city.    Then you have the added burden of commuting and paying to get to work.    Melbourne is a huge place with four million people so you can live a long way away from where you work.   Not like UK in distances at all.   We think nothing of driving for an hour to get somewhere in Melbourne.  As the wage includes super then you will have less than 85000.    Have a look on realestate.com.au at property rentals this should give you some idea.   A  lot of Brits are moving to the western areas of Melbourne as the housing is new and more affordable.  Point Cook, Tarneit etc.   Cranbourne in the south East is also cheaper.    All fringe areas.  

At least in Melbourne (at the moment) you won't have to pay school fees other than the "voluntary" contributions, uniforms, stationery, excursions, incursions, special programs etc. $85k inclusive of super is not going to be a comfortable wage and 457 visa dependents often struggle to find work especially if they are hoping for it to be in their career area. The 3 months accommodation will be a bonus but be aware when you are looking for a rental, the cheapest areas are often cheapest for a reason. It'll be tight though but when you leave you should be able to take your super contributions (albeit taxed) with you.

On 18 May 2017 at 18:35, sunshinedawn said:

My husband has been offered a secondment for 12 months in Melbourne with a salary of 85.000 dollars. Will this be enough for us ( we have an 8 yr old son) to live on. I will hopefully be looking to get a job. We have been told we will get a serviced property for the first 3 months and then we would have to rent for the other 9 months.

Any advice would be helpful as we know it is rather expensive in Australia.

Not enough.

If they paid for all your accommodation then maybe, also you will probably need atleast one if not two cars. They want you to move half way round the world but aren't really offering you much in my opinion.

But if you just want a bit of an adventure then go for it but I would be trying to get them to improve the offer.

Even with a car, the $85,000 would not be enough to live a good life on. I would have thought that with it being a company secondment, a wage in the area of $100,000 plus super, plus the car would have been in order. Put it this way. My last year at work before retiring, I earned $140,000, and that was in 2011. Try for more. If not on the wage base, assistance with rent, school fees, medical insurance.

Ok so if the $85k includes super, that's $77,600 ex super which will give you about $4,900 into your hand.  That is very tight for a small family for Melbourne.  It seems like a low wage for an international secondment.  I think the average salary in Melbourne is slightly higher than that.  What occupation does your partner do?  The car will be a help.

I am in Perth and I spend a little more than that monthly for me and my daughter part time.  My rent is only $450pw, think you will struggle to find a nice place in Melbourne for that.  You will be paying $2-$2.5k in rent pm

PM if you would like help doing up a budget etc.

• Like 1

We are a couple in the city, paying $500/week rent and spend just under $5k a month, including all bills and essentials, without a lot of partying and eating out. We dont have a car and dont spend on transport as we work in the free tram zone area. 

Even if you live a suburb or two away from the city and rent for $350/week it would be tight. But as you are getting 3 months rent free that should ample time for you to find a job. You guys are about $1000 to $2000 away from being able to live comfortably so it isnt all that bad

KnK

22 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:

Kenfrapin are utility bills cheaper or more expensive than uk

Unfortunately we dont have an even basis to actually know for sure yet, mainly because we live in a flat in the city with not great insulation and a central air con that costs a lot to keep switched on all night.

Broadband is more expensive here, flats have a bill for hot water, normal water and electricity. Mobile phones are comparable. So is cable TV. Foxtel's top end of $137 a month, which is quite good. Electric comes to about $200 a month, on the higher side here but only because of the stupid air con. Hot and normal water is about $110, slightly more than the UK. Gym memberships cost almost the same. Food is very subjective but we spend less here on our monthly groceries. Oh, no council tax plus no NI. There is a medicare levy we pay directly from our income. Medical insurance is terribly expensive but assume that's the NI and it works out. You don't need medical insurance and if you dont have one, then the medical levy is slightly more I guess, still learning so not sure. As others have said 9.5% of your salary goes into your super (pension) which higher than a lot of UK employers

The only way I can summarise is, if I count everything such as food, other expenses, rent, gym etc then as a couple, we are almost spending the same here. We spent about GBP2500 without any partying or eating lunches out at work. Here we go out pretty much every weekend, spend on taxis plus buy our lunch daily (which is crazy waste of money) and don't go over $5000 a month, most months its around $4000 which is actually cheaper than our UK spend (You may think it's high but I am an occasional smoker and like my single malts which sort of pushes our spend up!)

KnK

13 minutes ago, amibovered said:

To clarify, council tax/ rates is included in the rent, if you own a home you'll have to pay it.

Thank you and apologies for my ignorance. Need to have a go at my cousins for misleading and misinforming me

KnK

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:

So we may struggle for a bit until I get a job. Hopefully husband's new company will pay the accommodation for 6 months (we've been cheeky and asked) which if they say yes will be a big help.

If they are happy to pay six months and its only for a year and they will be paying other things as well (ie shipping, car) I'd say why not give it a whirl and have the experience, even if you do have a budget to stick within. I'd love to have the chance to take my son to go live in a different country for a year, see new things, attend a school and so on. Amazing thing to do. My husband and his family did this but for a slightly shorter period of time when he was a child (aged 8 or 9) and has very fond memories of it. 

Your husband will have a job to come back to, you'll have your home (if you own one) and so on. 

If they are happy to pay six months and its only for a year and they will be paying other things as well (ie shipping, car) I'd say why not give it a whirl and have the experience, even if you do have a budget to stick within. I'd love to have the chance to take my son to go live in a different country for a year, see new things, attend a school and so on. Amazing thing to do. My husband and his family did this but for a slightly shorter period of time when he was a child (aged 8 or 9) and has very fond memories of it. 
Your husband will have a job to come back to, you'll have your home (if you own one) and so on. 

Husband's new job are providing him with a car so we won't need to ship it over. Also he's not too sure if he's got a job to come back to either at the end of the year. I'm just hoping that he chooses to go out for the year so we can experience the lifestyle etc but only he can make that decision.

6 minutes ago, snifter said:

Well said and we would do the same. You guys can manage with the salary throwing in 3 to 6 months free rent and assuming you work part time for a few months. the life experience and memories you make as a family cannot be measured in $$$

Wish you the very best!

KnK