Aussies versus Pommies. Is there really any difference?

MARYROSE02

I must admit that it perplexes me when I read posts from people who perceive a chasm between the two peoples (i.e. between the two white peoples because, at least in Sydney there are so many different races and cultures. In my office, for e.g. white people are actually in the minority, not that matters to me because it is the best place I have ever worked and I can honestly say there is not a single person I dislike.)

I was in the pub tonight and two young guys I know came over to say hello, which in itself was gratifying when you are as old as I am. (I never thought I would say that). Anyway, one fo the guys is from WA and the other from Liverpool. I did not "change brains" when I spoke to each of them. Surprisingly we did not discuss football but I might have talked AFL to the Aussie guy and EPL to the Pommie but that is hardly a major difference.

I remember the first time I found out there was a pub in Sydney (the Triple Aces, now re-named the Surry Hills Hotel) where you could go to watch Tottenham Hotspur play. I was worried that I would be surrounded by a mob of maudlin, drunken Pommies in football shirts (even if they were all Spurs) complaining about Aussie curries/sausages/beer/pubs ad nauseam. What a pleasant surprise to find out that half of them were Aussies and the other half were all happy little Vegemites, none of whom wanted to return to the UK.

I've got Aussie friends, I've got Pommie friends, sometimes I mix just with one, sometimes with both, and frankly, I don't notice any difference. Perhaps it's the mark of someone who has settled here. I can honestly say that I have NEVER been abused by an Aussie for being a Pommie! (apart from a bit of banter when the Ashes are on).

Perhaps it is just a phase we all go through as "New Chums" in the first couple of years here. After all, I rarely meet anyone who hates it here and just wants to go home!

• Like 3

The attitude to sport, it's far more important in Aus. Was always amazed by Aussie parents who devoted their lives to ferrying their kids to and from sports fixtures.

Like most poms I was subjected to good humoured banter about England's lack of sporting prowess.When I pointed out to a colleague that as far as I was concerned being bad at sport was a compliment since only the kids too thick to do anything else did sport he was equally taken aback.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Like most poms I was subjected to good humoured banter about England's lack of sporting prowess.When I pointed out to a colleague that as far as I was concerned being bad at sport was a compliment since only the kids too thick to do anything else did sport he was equally taken aback.

No wonder he was taken aback!  There is one thing having banter, that comment was just rude and very childish!  A lot of very clever kids do sport!

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, AJ said:

No wonder he was taken aback!  There is one thing having banter, that comment was just rude and very childish!  A lot of very clever kids do sport!

Not in my day and  certainly not at my school where academic merit was prized far more. As it was said in a jocular manner he took it in the sprit intended. Fair play to the Aussies they give out a lot of joshing but they take it on the chin as well.

Edited by ScottieGirl

2 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Not in my day and  certainly not at my school where academic merit was prized far more. As it was said in a jocular manner he took it in the sprit intended. Fair play to the Aussies they give out a fair bit of joshing but they take it on the chin as well.

Jeez you must be old then!  Times change, they dont keep score on a slate anymore!

Edited by AJ

17 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Not in my day and  certainly not at my school where academic merit was prized far more. As it was said in a jocular manner he took it in the sprit intended. Fair play to the Aussies they give out a lot of joshing but they take it on the chin as well.

Dunno where you went to school, but I went to a grammar school "oop norf"  in the late 50's early 60's and sport had great emphasis placed on it. All the head boys had been captains of cricket and rugby teams and tbh, some of them were as "thick as a brick" (relative to most students)..........no pun intended as Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) was in my year. That album btw was based on a fictional 8yr old genius called Gerald Bostock and as there was a very large and absolutely thick lad in our school with the same surname,who was utilised as a very effective forward in the rugby team. It often got me to wondering whether this in some way influenced the album?

Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

The attitude to sport, it's far more important in Aus. Was always amazed by Aussie parents who devoted their lives to ferrying their kids to and from sports fixtures.

Soccer moms made an easy transition to soccer mums?! I don't know what the figures are for children playing sport in either country, although the fact that Australia, with a population a  third of the UK can support four different professional football codes MAY point to an increased percentage of children getting involved in sport.On the other hand, perhaps the geography means that parents have to be more involved to transport children to games.

I do think sport is a bigger part of Aussie life. I would walk my dogs by the extremely well kept council oval and there was a cricket or football match every Saturday and Sunday and a couple of week nights. Been back  6 weeks and definitely less noticeable. 

I agree lack of public transport means the moms and dads in Aus have to provide the taxi service.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

Personally I don't think there is any difference on an individual level.  Some people are kind, some are friendly, some arrogant, some funny, some boring, some intelligent, some sporty, some chatty etc, etc in either country.  I'm hard pressed here to pick the English from the Aussies half the time unless someone has a strong regional accent.  I also don't get the thing about having a different sense of humour either.  Different people find different things funny in both countries, as evidenced by the fact that not everyone likes the same comedians or comedy shows in the UK or Australia.  

On a more societal level I think there are cultural differences though.  They are often subtle differences but they are there.  Being able to accept, adapt to and understand the differences can help with settling.

• Like 2

I think the British humour is very similar to Australian humour- far more so than American humour anyway ( exception perhaps the New York style ) Sometimes Aussies will continue ribbing someone for quite some time with a very straight face and some don't 'get' it but it doesn't take too long to catch on really. When we first arrived we asked where we could find any kangaroos in Kangaroo Ground.  Boy did we get sent on a wild goose chase ( didn't find any of them, either!)  Looking back, I think this was hilarious and I guess I might do  the same these days. Funny thing- there are quite a few there now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I do think sport is a bigger part of Aussie life. I would walk my dogs by the extremely well kept council oval and there was a cricket or football match every Saturday and Sunday and a couple of week nights. Been back  6 weeks and definitely less noticeable. 

I agree lack of public transport means the moms and dads in Aus have to provide the taxi service.

When I played as a nipper in my English village  I could walk to the local 'rec. I remember my brother and sister-in-law ferrying their son and daughter around Panania, Revesby, Padstow when they were playing soccer, my sister-in-law playing too. It was a very social thing, sausage sizzles and all that. I don't think there is much difference between the two countries.  I'm sure that the school runs block the streets equally? I was actually glad of the school jam in my second English village because it stuffed up the rat-runners trying to use the village roads rather than the equally stuffed up Marchwood bypass.