register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Cynn

Visa 190 - sole trader/contractor - ACT

Hi guys,

I've moved to Canberra to try and apply for a visa 190 as a Graphic Designer. I'm looking to apply in Feb 2018.

The criteria for me to be eligible is:

-Working full time for an ACT employer in your nominated occupation for at least six months immediately before applying for ACT nomination. Student visa holders (with visa condition 8104) working 20 hours per week are deemed to meet the full time criterion.

Since I'm currently working as a sole trader/contractor (freelance graphic designer), I was wondering if this is still ok when applying for the visa or do I have to get a full-time job? 

Thanks!

It's quite likely they're looking for evidence that you have strong ties to ACT and won't immediately move away from the state.  If you have evidence that your clients are ACT companies and that your work requires you to remain in ACT, then perhaps it would be sufficient.  Sounds like your work could be done from anywhere though, so it may be worthwhile to speak with a migration agent to get their advice on how to present your application strongly.

@MaggieMay24 Thanks for the advice. I am currently working as a freelancer for an ACT employer but I'm not getting sufficient hours there for it to be part-time/full-time work. So I also have my own clients, who are not necessarily based in ACT. I know for the skills assessment they accept sole trader as proof of employment. But I'm just not sure if I'm eligible at all for the visa 190 if I'm not working full-time for an ACT employer!