Returning to UK but wont have time to get australian passport

Cazza1404

Hi guys, 

We need to return to UK as quickly as possible but are mid way through our citizenship application, we sit the test on 17th May and are really hoping to get on the Aug 8th ceremony. The problem is, we need to leave asap (9th Aug) after the ceremony which won't allow time to apply for an Australian passport. My questions are:

Can my partner and I leave on a one way ticket on our UK passports?

If not, what would your best advice be to speed up the passport application process? 

Thank you, I have trawled forums to get an answer but have no clear cut info so hoping someone here is in the know. 

When you have booked flights, speak to immigration about getting an urgent passport. When I did my citizenship, I had a passport the following day because I had a flight. I did the citizenship on the Thursday night, went to the passport office on the Friday morning and had a passport by lunch time for a flight on the Saturday morning.

However, it is impossible to say when you will get the ceremony. Though some councils will do a one off for a fee

• Like 1

You could leave and get your passport in the UK.  Is it a temporary or permanent trip?

Technically as a citizen, you are obliged to leave and enter on an Australian passport but I have heard of people entering on their dual passport but having their citizenship cert with them.  It may depend on the immigration officer.

• Like 1

Thanks @VERYSTORMY really helpful.  With regards to the passport application, did you hand it in to the passport office? Or go through Auspost interview? Is it a case of getting a paper application all but complete, then attending ceremony, then heading straight to passport office? This could work for us, thanks. 

Hi @Collie thanks for your reply.  For now this is a permanent move back so we could get a passport when we're back in the UK.  I read that this would mean attending an interview at the embassy in London though?   I think we would be able to leave Oz on our UK passports, particularly on a one way ticket but it sounds like getting the Oz passport is the best idea. Just wish DIPB was able to give us more info re timeframes. Thanks 

Edited by Cazza1404

13 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

When you have booked flights, speak to immigration about getting an urgent passport. When I did my citizenship, I had a passport the following day because I had a flight. I did the citizenship on the Thursday night, went to the passport office on the Friday morning and had a passport by lunch time for a flight on the Saturday morning.

However, it is impossible to say when you will get the ceremony. Though some councils will do a one off for a fee

Thanks @VERYSTORMY good advice. 

You will be a citizen once you have attended the ceremony.....you can be a citizen without having a passport.

At the end of the day getting the citizenship is the main thing and what keeps "the door open" applying for the passport can be done anytime...as and when you need it.

Friends of ours did the ceremony....moved home...didnt bother with passports/the expense for something they 'might' use....and they said that if they did return to Aus it would be later in life....by which time their first Aus passport would have expired so they saw it as a waste of money.

Good luck getting a ceremony that quickly if your test isnt until tomorrow.

Keep us posted out of curiosity.

We are eligible for citizenship in 10 weeks but not looking to move home until next june so we should all be done in that time.

On 15/05/2017 at 17:06, Cazza1404 said:

Hi guys, 

We need to return to UK as quickly as possible but are mid way through our citizenship application, we sit the test on 17th May and are really hoping to get on the Aug 8th ceremony. The problem is, we need to leave asap (9th Aug) after the ceremony which won't allow time to apply for an Australian passport. My questions are:

Can my partner and I leave on a one way ticket on our UK passports?

If not, what would your best advice be to speed up the passport application process? 

Thank you, I have trawled forums to get an answer but have no clear cut info so hoping someone here is in the know. 

We became citizens on Australia Day this year , we had to wait 2 weeks before submitting forms for our passport which we received 18 days latter 

This was in the paperwork we received on becoming citizens