register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

annagilda

Skilled Nominated Visa 190 question.

Hello gang! Hope all is well,

I was wondering if I might be able to pick your brains.

I'm currently on a WHV (417) which is due to expire at the end of September. I'm currently living in Tasmania and working for the Tasmanian Health Department as a Podiatrist. I'm having an absolute ball and quite fancy sticking around. There appears to be work opportunities opening up on a fairly regular basis, but due to the finite nature of my current visa, I don't seem to be too successful.

I've gone through the positive skills assessment to get to this point. I've got current AHPRA and am doing the job. My job is also on the SOL and CSOL

I have had a look at the points calculator and if I were to sit the IELTS and score 7 or above, I would have plenty of points to apply. My questions are:

Which IELTS do I need to sit, the Academic one or the standard? I've read quite a lot of conflicting advice on the web over the weekend,

Also, I have Spina Bifida and use a wheelchair. Everything is completely stable, all my expected treatment was completed years ago, but I'm just worried about the medical side of things.

I've contacted a registered migration agent, to see what they say but just waiting back to hear what my chances are.

Ideally, if it's a go, I'd like to try and get the ball rolling, because I know they change the SOL and CSOL on the 1st of July each year, (although I know we have a chronic shortage of Podiatrists here.)

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks a million. :-)

Oh, just a thought. Could I apply for a 190 while onshore?? Thanks!

Tijd is Geld!

Unlesss you need Academic IELTS for the skills assessment, then it's the General IELTS test that you need should you require the visa points. Four 7s in one test paper gives you 10 points, four 8s gives you 20 points (overall score doesn't count).

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1

Richard Gregan Registered Migration Agent 9905168, MIA 880

www.overseas-emigration.co.uk

Direct telephone 0131 625 6900

Richard@my-oe.com

Also might be worth contacting Tas for state sponsorship. I didn't bother sitting ILETS at all as I got the final 5 points I needed to make 60 with state sponsorship. I spoke to a lovely lady at the Tas office and they turned around my application within 72hours.

And if you do need points I found PTE very user friendly; passing with a 90 first time using their online practice tests for a dummy run

Of course which test is better is very subjective, and I didn't try IELTS, but that was mainly after using this site for guidance

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Travelled to Australia Holiday and WHV. Quit job to retrain at Uni as a Podiatrist 25/09/2013.

On my journey to applying for 189 in 2016 (if they've not changed again by then lol)

If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said that it'd be easy, they just promised it would be worth it!