Berwick (melbs)

Fosh

Guest The Pom Queen

Berwick is lovely, you have the old side and the new side with all the new housing developments. You have a great choice of school and Berwick Secondary is one of the best in the area along with Frankston, however be aware the state schools are zoned. There are a number of church schools and also Haileybury that are private and good.

There are lots of sports facilities and a swimming club/lessons. You have the hospital there at Berwick along with the TAFE. It's only 5 minutes drive from Fountain Gate shopping centre with the cinemas etc. 

The downside is traffic. I worked in North Melbourne and the commute down the Monash was a killer, without traffic I could do it in 45 minutes with traffic it could be over 2 hours. You do have the train station and it would take an hour on the train.

Depending on your type of work you may not need to work in the city. There are numerous businesses in the hubs of Frankston and Dandenong so you can find work in these areas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2017 at 05:44, Fosh said:

Hi,

Is there anyone who lives in Berwick (melbourne) who can tell me the pros and cons?

We will be commuting to cbd for work and we have 2 young children who need day care/ schools in 2 years.

Thank you

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I live in Berwick,arrived here on the 31st December 2016 with my wife and 2 kids.We love it here,pros are the village feel it has but with the city not to far away you have the best of both worlds.

Cons are obviously the commute if you are working in the city,I work around the CBD but travel in early in the morning to avoid the really heavy traffic,coming home is a hit or a miss really,Fridays are particularly bad due to most knocking off early.

Schools are great as well,we enrolled our 2 at Timbarra and they love it,settled so easily.

Good luck in your journey,there ain't much not to love about Berwick.

Gary.