Moving Home where the grass is greener??

Pome sammy

So I was on here sometime ago as we were moving back to UK and needed advice.  We decided to stay in Australia and that evidently was the worst decision we made.  All we want to do is go home.  It's going to be hard but I truly believe it's the best for my family, although I know my eldest daughter, 15, will find it hard but not impossible I'm sure.  I just wanted to hear from people that have returned and if it was the best decision they made and from people who will be returning as well.

Need advise on every aspect of the move from which shipping company to use, getting pets home, securing a rental property in UK from here and is the grass really greener?  We are going home on the tightest budget possible as we are skint, the move here killed us and with the cost of living here in Perth so high it has broke us.  Never worked so hard and such long hours and still so hard to save for anything.

Thanks for any input you can offer I really appreciate.

• Like 3

I'm a little wary of your thread title, "Where The Grass Is Greener' , unless you literally mean that of course. There can be found quite a few examples from returnees on already established threads giving an insight into life once back in UK.

Do you have family or friends who can help out in early months? I am not sure being a non resident if you will be entitled to much in welfare. You must prove habitual residence which can take time. I'm not up with the latest on that but worthy of consideration surely, if returning nearly skint?

Other posts will provide insights into removal companies both furniture and for pets. It will likely depend largely on region ok UK you intend to settle, before people can offer more than general advise.

I wonder how long your WA lasted for?  I attempt to warn those coming of the possible trials they will likely face, but most I suspect only want 'positive ' stories and prefer to believe those that had the fortune to come during cheaper and better times. Such are people. I hope you get some knowledgeable answers to some of the questions posed. Do own research though and rely on own conclusions.

1 hour ago, Pome sammy said:

So I was on here sometime ago as we were moving back to UK and needed advice.  We decided to stay in Australia and that evidently was the worst decision we made.  All we want to do is go home.  It's going to be hard but I truly believe it's the best for my family, although I know my eldest daughter, 15, will find it hard but not impossible I'm sure.  I just wanted to hear from people that have returned and if it was the best decision they made and from people who will be returning as well.

Need advise on every aspect of the move from which shipping company to use, getting pets home, securing a rental property in UK from here and is the grass really greener?  We are going home on the tightest budget possible as we are skint, the move here killed us and with the cost of living here in Perth so high it has broke us.  Never worked so hard and such long hours and still so hard to save for anything.

Thanks for any input you can offer I really appreciate.

It's been a long time since I moved back and I have never once felt the urge to move back to Australia, the experience made me open my eyes to what a wonderful country the UK is though.  Most of the info you need is already on this forum in regards to pets, shipping et and rentals can be found on most real estate web sites like http://www.rightmove.co.uk/  http://www.primelocation.com/to-rent/  http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/ 

What might be good is if you post some stuff about how things didn't work out, the "working such long hours", "cost of living" cost of moving out.  

Best of luck with the move.

• Like 3

I tend to be wary about the grass is greener thing too. Its not greener I don't think, its just different. And what you are able to make of it. If it works out and jobs are found, a place to live and all the other things you'll want fall into place, its going to be a good move. If those things don't happen or take a while, it may take the shine off till you can fix those things. The same can be said of migrating anywhere. However, you are also moving back to a country you know where you probably have some ties and connections and that can help you once back there. 

I think migrating or moving anywhere with a grass being greener train of thought is iffy ground. Many return to the UK having struggled for whatever reason in Aus and settle back into life in the UK well, are happy and find work. Some don't settle back there and miss Aus, even though they may have also struggled here too. 

End of the day, if you don't have funds and the move is being done on a budget, ensure you do your homework well in terms of areas to live, employment and so on so you can hopefully get it right first time out the gate. If your daughter is not keen to move back I would strongly suggest researching well for decent schools that will hopefully be a good fit for her given her age and the GCSE's etc that will be upcoming. Unless you are moving after she has finished HS in Aus or after the GCSE's would have been taken at UK schools. Then you need to research the options for further education etc for her if that is what she wants to do and cost that out (you may have to pay fees as per international student rates if there are residency requirements in the UK first for the few years back). 

We moved back last year from Perth in similar circumstances as you, if not more skint and did it very quickly - decision made on a Tuesday and I flew the Saturday. 

To say we were broke is an understatement. We funded the move by selling everything we had. So, we landed at Heathrow with just a suitcase each and most of that was full of stuff for the dog and a small move cube coming behind us with personal items such as pictures and sentimentals. 

I did have a job to go to which may have made things easier and I would recomend  you apply for jobs prior to the move. The job market is very good. 

We booked an air BnB for arrival which was excellent. If you have never used it before, it isn't just rooms in people's houses. We had a lovely converted barn in a village. Lots of options on there. We booked that for two weeks while we looked for a rental. We had no hassle getting one and that was in one of the most competitive parts of the U.K. - Windsor. That is the bit I think having a job helped. 

Had no problems opening a bank account and the rest just fell into place such as registering with a GP. 

We used Dogtainers who were excellent, I would recomend you get them involved as early as possible. There is a wait between them having their rabies jab and being able to fly. Hence my wife had to stay behind for a bit after I flew. 

We had to replace all our furniture and things - even cutlery. But, that has all happened. Gumtree is great and many don't know that it has a section where items are free, which is where we got our sofa from. Family and friends also helped out with things like cutlery. To the extent we now have more than ever. 

For us the move has been wonderful and we are very happy. 

Is the grass greener? That depends on the individual rather than the country. For us, yes. As others have mentioned returning opened our eyes to just how much the UK has to offer. 

• Like 8

Thank you all for your feedback and yes my comment about the grass being greener certainly was meant tongue in cheek.  I'm not naive enough to know that this is the case.  For us my husband has never settled here and has yearned for home since our arrival over 6 years ago.  We have given Perth a fair go and had great fun fishing, camping. 4WD etc.  We even moved more rural to get away from Suburbia but still just not home for us.  We do long to return where the grass is certainly greener, pun intended.

I have been looking around the site and lots of great information on here so thanks.  We won't need welfare when we return to UK as although we are doing it tough, we both work and will do so on our return.  Work shouldn't be an issue for us and getting employment or starting a business should easy enough. We don't own our own home or have much savings, so anything we have will be put into the move back really.

It's going to be a tough move for me as my Mum and all my siblings, nieces & nephews all live here but I'm fairly positive this is the right move for our family. I just hope my daughter sees it that way.

Always looking for advise from others that have been in a similar situation and that is why I posted on here.

Looking to move April next year, fingers crossed 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 2:06 PM, VERYSTORMY said:

We moved back last year from Perth in similar circumstances as you, if not more skint and did it very quickly - decision made on a Tuesday and I flew the Saturday. 

To say we were broke is an understatement. We funded the move by selling everything we had. So, we landed at Heathrow with just a suitcase each and most of that was full of stuff for the dog and a small move cube coming behind us with personal items such as pictures and sentimentals. 

I did have a job to go to which may have made things easier and I would recomend  you apply for jobs prior to the move. The job market is very good. 

We booked an air BnB for arrival which was excellent. If you have never used it before, it isn't just rooms in people's houses. We had a lovely converted barn in a village. Lots of options on there. We booked that for two weeks while we looked for a rental. We had no hassle getting one and that was in one of the most competitive parts of the U.K. - Windsor. That is the bit I think having a job helped. 

Had no problems opening a bank account and the rest just fell into place such as registering with a GP. 

We used Dogtainers who were excellent, I would recomend you get them involved as early as possible. There is a wait between them having their rabies jab and being able to fly. Hence my wife had to stay behind for a bit after I flew. 

We had to replace all our furniture and things - even cutlery. But, that has all happened. Gumtree is great and many don't know that it has a section where items are free, which is where we got our sofa from. Family and friends also helped out with things like cutlery. To the extent we now have more than ever. 

For us the move has been wonderful and we are very happy. 

Is the grass greener? That depends on the individual rather than the country. For us, yes. As others have mentioned returning opened our eyes to just how much the UK has to offer. 

How did you do it in a week?  That's amazing, my hubby would just like to up and go but I'm the one saying no we need to plan, pack etc.  Did you sell everything in that week?

Thank you for all your advise and information, it's invaluable.  So jealous you could do that, do you have children?

Can't wait to be back in Blighty

You may have different reasons for moving back but the majority that do and who post in similar circumstances quote "missing family" as one of the main reasons for returning. In your case, your family is here so I think that you should think long and hard as to how much you'll miss them before you up sticks. Good luck

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

You may have different reasons for moving back but the majority that do and who post in similar circumstances quote "missing family" as one of the main reasons for returning. In your case, your family is here so I think that you should think long and hard as to how much you'll miss them before you up sticks. Good luck

I know what you are saying and believe me I have thought long and hard.  But how can we stay when my husband is so miserable.  At the end of the day my family will go and do what they want to do including moving away if they wanted to and my kids will grow up and do the same.  My husband and I, whereever we are, we are going to be together and we have to be happy where we are.  We can always visit and they can visit us, but home is home and it's calling is so strong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pome sammy said:

How did you do it in a week?  That's amazing, my hubby would just like to up and go but I'm the one saying no we need to plan, pack etc.  Did you sell everything in that week?

Thank you for all your advise and information, it's invaluable.  So jealous you could do that, do you have children?

Can't wait to be back in Blighty

It was the maddest week of our lives - we also had a house to sell! Yep, we sold everything in a week. Some went to members of our sister site Perth Poms, as there were a fair few people who had recently arrived. Some sold on gumtree and one of the best responses was via posters put up at the IGA. Then, on the Saturday I did a garage sale which got rid of the rest - I was still selling stuff at the garage 4 hours before the flight!

My wife stayed behind for 5 days in a pretty much empty house, though two of the people that had bought things agreed to wait to pick the up, so she had a bed and a TV. Though she ended up sleeping on the floor the last night. Its not the end of the world.

The house sold after we had returned, which is fine. It just meant a trip to London to get the paperwork notified at Australia House.

There isn't really that much planning. Just make sure you get the pets sorted first. Then, if you are shipping, get that organized. Though if only shipping a small amount, MoveCube are excellent and come in 3 sizes and it can be done in a couple of days. We had to take our stuff to them as there wasn't time for them to deliver but that was no hassle. Then, you just book a flight.

We don't have children, but it wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference. If you have children approaching university age, then do it sooner rather than later as they need to be resident in the UK for a period of time in order to be classed as a home student.

Since getting back, we have moved to Scotland which we love. Australia now seems like a distant dream. Almost unreal.

• Like 2

We had a successful move back home too.  UK has its share of problems but its still a better more vibrant happening place to live with much more going on, and we have the best location you could wish to have..

Perth for us was the most restrictive, boring, isolated, backward and slow depressing dead end place we had ever been.

There is nothing would make us even consider going there again, not even for a holiday although my last job almost sent me there for a visit which I managed to avoid.

As well as it being an employment black spot, we felt that its over valued and over rated and downright expensive.  Everything in our opinion there was 2nd rate and lagging behind the times especially food, housing, shops, transport.   UK is light years ahead of that place.

If you have the means to move back you will feel more free and will have a much brighter future / better life back here in UK.

• Like 5

Good luck in whatever you decide and may the grass always been greener under your feet...wherever you end up and are finally happy.

On 5/17/2017 at 13:18, Home and Happy said:

We had a successful move back home too.  UK has its share of problems but its still a better more vibrant happening place to live with much more going on, and we have the best location you could wish to have..

Perth for us was the most restrictive, boring, isolated, backward and slow depressing dead end place we had ever been.

There is nothing would make us even consider going there again, not even for a holiday although my last job almost sent me there for a visit which I managed to avoid.

As well as it being an employment black spot, we felt that its over valued and over rated and downright expensive.  Everything in our opinion there was 2nd rate and lagging behind the times especially food, housing, shops, transport.   UK is light years ahead of that place.

If you have the means to move back you will feel more free and will have a much brighter future / better life back here in UK.

I quite agree with your comments and can't wait to return home

3 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Everything is better back here and you're not cut off from the whole world.

I like being cut off from the rest of the world here in Tasmania.  It's why we chose to live here.  If we did move back to Scotland, it would be to one of the Hebrides off the west coast. Hey, we're all different. 

The grass is certainly greener - and requires frequent mowing at this time of year.

The UK is pretty okish atm. There is risk - but at least for now all is very good for many people.

Perth is doing it hard - and sunshine ain't everything.

Not easy moving a 15 year old though - you may want to start another thread specifically on that. There have been a few if you care to search.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:54, Toots said:

I like being cut off from the rest of the world here in Tasmania.  It's why we chose to live here.  If we did move back to Scotland, it would be to one of the Hebrides off the west coast. Hey, we're all different. 

Good, in fact its great if you like to have a life away from it all, from everything, you could not wish for a better place to be than Australia.   For me though I feel more happier and more free being back home in UK.   It suits me better anyway.  Each to their own, I guess.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Dear All

Has anyone commenting on this page actually completed their move ?

We're planning a move back but I'm not sure on how people sort out rentals. My understanding is you must have a job to get a home rental through an agent. Or can you actually rent it from Australia, say if you send your friends/relatives to view a property in UK on your behalf  ?

We don't have much belongings in Australia so we'll be only packing clothes and go back to UK. Issue of accommodation is stressing us though

Thank you for any info

Minoo