DASP super payment query

lauradarlin

Hi all

I've been back living in the UK since August 2014, my WHV expired September 2014. I returned to Australia for a holiday in November 2016 on an e-visitor visa which is still active on my passport until October 2017.

I'm trying to apply for a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment and satisfy all the criteria and have all the relevant details but have received an email from ATO stating that my application cannot progress as I still have an active visa for Australia.

The only guidance I can find online so far relates to cancelling temporary resident visas, no mention of tourist ones. Can anyone offer any ideas on what to do next? I'm keen to get this resolved before the tax rate changes in July if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

Laura 

OP please let me know how you go with this as I am in the same situation. I'm currently in Australia on an evisitor visa, scheduled to leave on the 31st of may. I want to reclaim my super as soon as I leave, hopefully before the end of June, as the new taxation rates will go into effect at that time. 

Having to cancel my tourist visa first may induce extra charges and also take up extra time, leading to an application that's not processed until after july, when the new tax rates will be in effect. This will cost me 1000's of dollars. I am so frustrated by this, as the ATO website clearly states these cancellations are only necessary for temporary residence visa, and an e-visitor is obviously not one of those...

• 4 weeks later...

Just updating this in case someone stumbles upon this post, like, ever...

According to Immigration, the ATO will not process with ANY visa active on your immigration account, also a tourist visa. This is what you need to do. They say it takes 4 weeks to process. I've been waiting for 2 weeks now :(

1. REQUESTS FOR TEMPORARY VISA CANCELLATION ONLY – There is no fee for visa cancellation.

You can do this by either completing Parts A, C and D of the Form 1194 or sending a written request by email to Super.Hobart@border.gov.au with the following information:

• a clear statement that you wish to have your temporary visa cancelled
  • your full name and date of birth (and those of all people who hold a visa because they are a member of your family unit, or hold a visa only because you hold your visa.)
  • passport number when you visited Australia
  • subclass of the temporary visa you wish to have cancelled
  • current residential address
  • the date that you departed Australia.

If you hold a permanent residency visa, please note there is no provision in the Migration Act 1958 to cancel permanent visas at the request of the client.

You will be notified via email once your visa is cancelled.