simmo

Fox Hunting. Yes or No?

Fox hunting?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Approve or disapprove

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • Don't care

Theresa May will let her party vote on reintroducing fox hunting. Your thoughts?

It used to be a rich man's sport.  I worked on an estate in Norfolk and fox hunting was quite an event there.  This photo was taken of the Boxing Day hunt at Raynham Hall where I was working. I absolutely didn't participate.  I was employed to look after foals and yearlings.

Fox hunters at Raynham Hall.jpg

• Like 1

I like the idea as an "event" but as a way of controlling foxes it is outdated.

• Like 1

I also like the idea as an event, as long as the fox is humanely and rapidly disposed of , we have hunts come through the fields behind us and generally have no objection as they use a scent trail and not an actual fox - it's quite funny watching the protestors and the police trying to explain to them that there is actually no fox.

If I see a fox in and around the farm, I'll take a shot at it , because they have decimated the waterfowl and birds here, I just don't understand why a fox will kill an entire family of ducks and not take any (or 1 if that) , same with chickens and same with lambs, even wolves kill one and leave the rest alone.

Elsewhere I see plenty of foxes and I leave them alone

Edited by deryans
  • Like 2

When I was a kid, it seemed like they made something new every day. Some, gadget or idea, like every day was Christmas. But six billion people, just imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all…........

One on Marmion earlier spread across two lanes, ranger was trying to shovel it up and bag what was left they are vermin but not sa nice ending better than dogs ripping you to pieces though.

After the big floods here in 2011, early one morning when the river settled, I went down to the Pine river under the dam spillway to see how many fish had washed over. I moved stealthily hoping to get a shot of a wedge tailed eagle feeding..............no eagles but there were hundreds of bass and about a dozen large lungfish up to a metre in length with 5 foxes in the space of an hour feeding on the carcasses within a hundred metres of a large estate................didn't get one shot as they heard me every time I tried to move closer. They seem a lot shyer than the foxes I encountered in the UK and so I guess, harder to eradicate. I did see a dead one on South Straddie Island about 12 yrs ago which had no visible injury so I guess it must have took one of the poison baits that the rangers put down for feral pigs. How it go onto straddie is anyone's guess?

Edited by Johndoe

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

I was discussing this with my mother the other day. As back in the UK it was normal practice for hunting dogs to be bloodied it had been going on for years. I don't agree with it and never have and I think that's one of the reasons I hate any sports like this, same with pig hunting. Then obviously there was the huge outcry with the greyhounds over here and blooding the dogs. It is no difference to fox hunting dogs but it was like people had never heard or knew this is what went on back in the old days and the older generation still used it. 

Whilst i agree (although don't like) with the fact that kangaroos, pigs, foxes can be pests, I do not agree with hunting them down with dogs. They should have a quick death with a bullet. 

• Like 2

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

When the same brigade of animal lovers take exception to halal slaughter which is equally barbaric and get that banned then I will go along with the ban on fox hunting.  Meanwhile, something needs to be done to reduce the fox population - they are becoming a real pest in the countryside and even in urban areas now as their numbers are increasing

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Quoll said:

When the same brigade of animal lovers take exception to halal slaughter which is equally barbaric and get that banned then I will go along with the ban on fox hunting.  Meanwhile, something needs to be done to reduce the fox population - they are becoming a real pest in the countryside and even in urban areas now as their numbers are increasing

I tend to agree. Egg production has some quite nasty aspects, as does dairy farming. On a scale, the odd fox here or there doesn't really equate with the mass slaughter of animals that happens to feed us.

It's not really an animal welfare issue - it's not even a conservation issue - it is a class issue. Pure and simple. People not in the fox hunting class object to it on principle. It's not envy as such, it's more class distaste. 

Personally - I think there are bigger fish to fry. But this one seems to get the lime light.

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

I call bullsh*t. if its oh so good, humane & best way to get rid of pests, lets legalize badger baiting. In fact i know people who control deer numbers that shoot them clearly not the right way to do it lets get a few dobermans and run them down that way. Its absolutely not about ridding the foxes as pests, Its about people wanting to see an animal ripped to pieces for sh*ts and giggles. and not accepting they're just savages. Would pro fox hunters like to see bull fighting, cock fighting, dog fighting - its all animals dying for entertainment. And don't get me started on the whole "if you're not from the country you wouldn't understand"

• Like 3

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar