Places to live with children in Victoria

Fosh

Hi Everyone, 

Looking for advice on places to live in Victoria, melbourne for families.

Budget for rental is 550 per week

Budget for buying later on is 850k for a 4 bed but we will wait a year first.

We want it to be a train ride to work no longer than 40 mins from the station (less if possible!!)

We're want it to be safe for our children and have good schools/ daycare and parks ect.

Were happy to look at anywhere in Victoria so please let me know your experiences. 

Thank you 

Victoria is about the size of Britain, I'm assuming you mean Melbourne. Usually people have a bit of a clue where they will be working and that's a key factor in where they might want to live. You'll have to narrow it down a bit!

6 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Victoria is about the size of Britain, I'm assuming you mean Melbourne. Usually people have a bit of a clue where they will be working and that's a key factor in where they might want to live. You'll have to narrow it down a bit!

My husband is laughing out loud at your response to me! Lol yes I did mean Melbourne haha. 

We will both be working in CBD probably with our roles. Unless I can bag something local to where we live which I doubt. I am a Project Manager my hubby is a BA. 

Thanks

I'm in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne which I love and you can easily rent here for your budget.

Buying is more of a problem as $850K will noy buy much around here anymore. If you can stretch to  a bit over a million might be better.

I've lived in Melbourne over 30 years and in my opinion all the established suburbs are family friendly.

I would look for suburbs around 15 to 20km from the city that are well established. There will be plenty of family activities and good schools.

Virtually all established suburbswill get you close to a train station to get to the city also.

We live a bit futher out and get the train from Seaford, which is about 50minutes on the express. You can rent and buy for those budgets at the moment, but obviously you commute time increases. You could start there and work back up the trainlines from frankston & Cranbourne and check out prices on realestate.com.au to see where meets your budget and time requirements.

7 hours ago, kevsan said:

We live a bit futher out and get the train from Seaford, which is about 50minutes on the express. You can rent and buy for those budgets at the moment, but obviously you commute time increases. You could start there and work back up the trainlines from frankston & Cranbourne and check out prices on realestate.com.au to see where meets your budget and time requirements.

Thanks kesvan, I will have a look at those areas and add them to the list. We can increase the funding when buying so I guess we have options but I don't want to spend crazy amounts either when we have 2 little ones xx

Hi! Are you wanting to stay close to Melbourne? I'm from Middlesbrough Uk originally but myself, hubby and 2 girls have been in oz for 9 months now.
We are in Geelong, well just outside (Lara) and find it great! We are 45mins drive from CBD Melbourne, fab for families and affordable. We rent at the minute and pay 430 rent per week, for a 4 bed good sized house (it's new aswell) if you want to chat some more I'm happy too [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi hun, thanks for the reply.
Yes we need to stay close to CBD for our jobs. That's where the majority of our profession will probably be. I'd really like to live on the outskirts and we looked at Berwick ect. It's so hard trying to narrow down places, as I don't want to drag the children around so often! 430 is really good. We want a 4 bed too!
How are you finding Auz so far? I'm very nervous but also excited at trying something new. My hubby is Australian but he seems more nervous than me!! Haha. Have your little ones settled in well. Thanks again

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Get your jobs first - then you'll have a clue what Trainline you might want to be on. It's like if you get a job in Canary Wharf you probably won't want to be living in Surbiton. You'll have time to get the kids into schools 

Hi hun, thanks for the reply.
Yes we need to stay close to CBD for our jobs. That's where the majority of our profession will probably be. I'd really like to live on the outskirts and we looked at Berwick ect. It's so hard trying to narrow down places, as I don't want to drag the children around so often! 430 is really good. We want a 4 bed too!
How are you finding Auz so far? I'm very nervous but also excited at trying something new. My hubby is Australian but he seems more nervous than me!! Haha. Have your little ones settled in well. Thanks again

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Ahh sorry can't really help you close to CBD as I'm not familiar with any of the suburbs!
Yeah rent isn't bad where we are, but as I said we aren't in CBD I think it's around 40mins on the train from Lara
Yeah it's going great so far! I already had a job as I'm sponsored but my husband found a job in 8 weeks so we were really lucky in that sense
My girls (6and2) have settled so well, I'm actually surprised at how well they've settled
I see your partner has family here, have you visited before?
Yeah it's very scary I'm not gonna lie lol but no regrets as yet [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you considered going north! Good access out of Melbourne and to the airport.

At the budgets you are looking you could go for Pascoe Vale, Coburg, Strathmore, Niddre or Airport West of which all have reasonable schools with both train and tram into the CBD. Slightly more would get you into Essendon and a bit less would get Fawkner, Keilor, Avondale Heights although personally I would avoid Glenroy..

My commute on the 58 from the top of Melville road is 40 mins into town by tram and if I lived near the station it would be more like 25 mins.

We are looking at similar rental value for this year with view to buying soon at the just under $1m level for a 4 bed.