Child Visa 101

Well I've finally posted our Child visa applications to London, despite much deliberation about going to Oz again or staying in the U.K. (mainly due to taking kids away from Grandparents). 

Now I just have to hope that they're granted quickly as we only have 1 year RRV's and we can't make any plans until the kids are sorted. 

On 8/2/2017 at 19:59, brock79 said:

I should say that we've frontloaded the kids visas with medicals which were done in Manchester last week, so hopefully that will speed things up a bit. 

Im in the same boat as u... medical PCC done for my kido...now waiting to hear back on decision.... although it has been just 4 weeks... im getting impatient... ?

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 19:59, brock79 said:

I should say that we've frontloaded the kids visas with medicals which were done in Manchester last week, so hopefully that will speed things up a bit. 

Hi have u received any feedback from DIBP on ur kids appln

Edited by Expatriate123

30 minutes ago, Expatriate123 said:

Hi have u received any feedback from DIBP on ur kids appln

Not yet, but they're very quick at taking your money! They received my applications on 3rd August and both visa fees were showing on my credit card on 4th August!

No news other than them taking my money!

9 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

From the date when the money was taken out, it was just over 3 weeks until ours was granted. We didn't get any acknowledgement emails/letters, it went straight to a grant, sent via email.

Hopefully ours will be that quick too! Here's hoping! ?

20 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

From the date when the money was taken out, it was just over 3 weeks until ours was granted. We didn't get any acknowledgement emails/letters, it went straight to a grant, sent via email.

Tomorrow....we complete one month of submission of medicals... so hopefully will hear something soon...

29 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

How much time u received for first entry.....one year or less than that..

7 hours ago, Expatriate123 said:

Helloo ppl.... over the moon..... got the visa grant for my kid...

So relieved now..... will be planning our trip soon...any suggestion on best months to travel..... my kid is completing 6m next week... so need to plan a lot before we can take him on a long journey....

Congratulations on the visa grant...Where in Australia are you heading to? Yes little bit of planning is required in terms of the seating and the bassinet etc. Take enough supply for the kid. I took a 3 month old and it was smooth sailing. She just cried on one of the flights but overall was pretty calm and slept in the bassinet.

If you are coming to SA or VIC, I would wait for couple more months as it is very cold over here. Sydney weather is decent so you can move anytime and if you are moving to Brisbane it is very hot there now.

I took my 

5 minutes ago, path2aus said:

Congratulations on the visa grant...Where in Australia are you heading to? Yes little bit of planning is required in terms of the seating and the bassinet etc. Take enough supply for the kid. I took a 3 month old and it was smooth sailing. She just cried on one of the flights but overall was pretty calm and slept in the bassinet.

If you are coming to SA or VIC, I would wait for couple more months as it is very cold over here. Sydney weather is decent so you can move anytime and if you are moving to Brisbane it is very hot there now.

I took my 

Its winter in Brisbane actually, best time to go there.

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Its winter in Brisbane actually, best time to go there.

Depends on where you are coming from. I know one colleague of mine who went to Brisbane to have some sun from Adelaide. It is probably winter there but for people in SA, it is like summer :)

Edited by path2aus

2 minutes ago, path2aus said:

Depends on where you are coming from. I know one colleague of mine who went to Brisbane to have some sun from Adelaide. It is probably winter there but for people in SA, it is like summer :)

Agreed, but to tell people its very hot is misleading. Most days at present are 20-23 degrees. Very hot by Brisbane standards is Jan/Feb/March, not August, and people need to appreciate that if they are moving there.

Edited by Nemesis

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for our Child Visa grants (or any notifications about them).  It's been just over 4 weeks now since they were received and DIBP took the money.

I'm being impatient I know but hopefully we'll hear something soon going off other people's experiences on here (I'm aware the waiting times listed on the DIBP site are around 12 months btw, but in reality for people in the UK with straightforward applications they seem to be granted much sooner).  The sooner the better as we only have 1 year RRV's.

Edited by brock79

FYI, our 101 took just under the 4 weeks to be granted from the date the money was taken out. Processed at the London office.

Decision was sent by email, from a "@dfat.gov.au" address, so check your spam folder too.

Hope your wait isn't too much longer.

And it is hot in Brisbane, by Brit standards, but this is apparently not the norm for the winter.

Edited by DukeNinja

On 04/09/2017 at 21:47, SarahL said:

Hi, just out of interest... If you apply for PR while pregnant can you postpone the medicals and add the newborn baby to the application after they are born? Thus avoiding the need for a seperate 101 visa? Thanks

This is what our thought process was. We did do the medicals, apart from the X-ray for my wife, and had uploaded everything. However, we were granted the 189 without the X-ray having been done (extremely rare). So we ended up having to submit a 101.

I did email DIPB and request that our application be put on hold until after the birth, but it appears that this was ignored.

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

This is what our thought process was. We did do the medicals, apart from the X-ray for my wife, and had uploaded everything. However, we were granted the 189 without the X-ray having been done (extremely rare). So we ended up having to submit a 101.

I did email DIPB and request that our application be put on hold until after the birth, but it appears that this was ignored.

Thanks for your reply, really useful to know. Is your wife required to have an x-Ray now that the baby is born?

19 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

No. The 189 was granted workout any conditions, fortunately. It just ended up costing us £1550 for the 101, instead of the £500 for adding the baby to our 189.

Ouch! At least you all have visas now :) Good luck with the move. Thanks again

We'll both of our Child Visas were granted today!

I'd heard the London processing times had been moved to be much closer to the global processing times of approx 11 months, so I rang the Australian High Commission and subsequently sent them an email to plead that they be dealt with quickly as we only have 1 year RRV's which expire on 1st June and we can only make arrangements to sell the house etc once the kids visa's are granted. Thankfully it seemed to help as they sorted it for us today!

There was some slight confusion as this morning they emailed me asking for the passport pages of our children (Form 47CH Document Checklist just asks for their birth certificates and says you can supply passports if you don't have their birth certificates, so I'd just submitted the Birth Certs!). I later sent him the passport pages anyway just to be sure. 

He also requested that our children undertake medicals and provided me with a HAP ID, even though I had completed the question on the Visa applications giving details that they had already completed their medicals and I had supplied their relevant HAP ID's in that question!  I supplied him with them again today and he apologised for the confusion.

The only concern I had after the grant is that it says the children have to enter before 3rd May 2018, which is even before our RRV's expire. We'll probably be there before then anyway but we do still need to sell our house. I was under the impression the kids would have 12 months from the date of their medicals which were in July, but it seems they've given the children 12 months from the date of my Police check which was required for the sponsorship.  As the kids didn't have their own police checks I assumed it would go from the date of their medicals. Ah well, just means we'll have to get over there before 3rd May.

I'm half happy about it all and half sad, still a major decision for us to move away from our parents and take our young children away from their grandparents, it's a tough call.

Need to look more into shipping now and putting the house on the market!