Skilled employment references

Hi

I'm just in the early stages of planning a move to Australia, I'm going to apply for a 189 visa and hope to have 75 points. I'm pulling documents together for my skills assessment, education is no problem but I'm not sure what to do with my current employer. I have been there nearly 5 years in a role relevant to my qualification however I don't want to ask for a reference as I don't want them to know about my plans just yet. Does anyone have experience of getting employment recognised without the official letter head reference? I'm sure I can get a senior colleague to write a statutory declaration to confirm my employment.

Thanks

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hey, 

I asked my employer for a reference in September although like you I didn't want too. It's so much more beneficial to get it. They may call your employer/company to verify your employment and if your boss didn't know before they will then. Best be honest, ask for it but say that your applying for a skills assessment for future application to emigrate. You can say that the process is very complex and can take 12-18 months to finalise. 

Good luck! ;)

I was having the same issue when I applied for PR. This is what I did. I got a general employment verification letter from my employer on a company letter head, which can be for any reason like, immigration, loan, opening bank account etc..And then had one of the colleague/managers give me a personal reference with their business cards. This worked for me.

Depending on the assessing authority, for example, Vetassess, you can supply a witnessed declaration detailing your employment, and explaining that you do not wish to let your current employers know - this declaration must be backed up with good employment evidence.

Skills assessment officers, and immigration in general, reserve the right to contact them, but usually this is accepted.

Regards,

Richard

• Like 1