Melbourne - Victoria- the good, the bad, the ugly

Fosh

51 minutes ago, Fosh said:

Thanks for the info, so you find the weather similar to London? 

This is what worries me about Melbourne, it feels like I will be moving back to London, over crowding, weather, house prices, commute times its all what I'm afraid of when moving to Melbourne.

Thanks

Melbourne is nothing like London in any of those respects, nowhere near as busy, stinking hot in summer and mild in winter, many people look forward to the winter after a long hot summer, houses are expensive by Australian standards, but not by London, and commute times will depend on your work/ home distance, I am in the UK now, very happily so but after 15 years on and off in Melbourne I would pick Melbourne over London 99 times out of a 100.

Edited by amibovered

18 minutes ago, amibovered said:

Melbourne is nothing like London in any of those respects, nowhere near as busy, stinking hot in summer and mild in winter, many people look forward to the winter after a long hot summer, houses are expensive by Australian standards, but not by London, and commute times will depend on your work/ home distance, I am in the UK now, very happily so but after 15 years on and off in Melbourne I would pick Melbourne over London 99 times out of a 100.

Thanks so much this info is really helpful. I think we are tempted to give Melbourne a go and see how we get on for a year, and if we don't like it perhaps try somewhere else or come back to the UK. But whilst the kids are young, we have to try it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fosh said:

Thanks so much this info is really helpful. I think we are tempted to give Melbourne a go and see how we get on for a year, and if we don't like it perhaps try somewhere else or come back to the UK. But whilst the kids are young, we have to try it.

Give in to your temptation, I doubt you will hate it, worse case you might end up preferring somewhere else or to come back to the UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, amibovered said:

Give in to your temptation, I doubt you will hate it, worse case you might end up preferring somewhere else or to come back to the UK.

Thanks! I'm just so scared with 2 little ones and my hubby has such a good job in the UK but if we don't try we won't know so it's all card in haha.

3 minutes ago, Fosh said:

Thanks! I'm just so scared with 2 little ones and my hubby has such a good job in the UK but if we don't try we won't know so it's all card in haha.

I know, and it's often the people that are comfortable here that struggle to settle when they move, it's a massive decision for you, and a bit of a gamble, no chance your other half could get 12 months off work? at least you could hedge your bets that way

15 minutes ago, amibovered said:

I know, and it's often the people that are comfortable here that struggle to settle when they move, it's a massive decision for you, and a bit of a gamble, no chance your other half could get 12 months off work? at least you could hedge your bets that way

We are debating on 2 things, asking if he could get 6 months off work or asking if they would let him work from Australia for 6 months. His manager is so nice and really supportive, so it's worth an ask to be honest, nothing ventured nothing gained! 

I'm more worried about my little boy who is 3 when we move, he's such a sensitive little soul so I'm hoping he will be okay at a new nursery, I'm going to take enough time off to make sure he is, my other little one will be 8 months when we move (due in 2 weeks) so he won't know any different. My little one who is 3 also hates the sun!! Hahaha he's like a little baby bat! 

• Like 1

That would be ideal, not too many people would have that luxury, I imagine the kids would adapt, and at least if you decide to come back you could do it before they reach school age, I'm not that keen on the harsh sun myself, I flit from shadow to shadow, and stick in the air con as much as possible. huge decision mind you, unfortunately you as a family are the only people who can know what is best for you, think long and hard, and if you decide not to go, don't wast time regretting the decision, just get on with having a great life here.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Melbourne is on an equivalent latitude to Lisbon and Athens in the Northern Hemisphere.

Would you describe Lisbon and Athens as having similar weather to London? 9_9

I regularly compare Melbourne's weather to the Mediterranean.  @Fosh  - in my garden I grow olives, lemons, limes, oranges, grapes and mandarins very successfully.  My wife planted some plants with massive leaves (cant remember what they are called) that cannot tolerate frost, they have prospered so that in 5 years since planting they are really too big.  With very hot summers and hot autumns, where sometimes it doesn't rain at all for weeks on end, the fruit trees that are traditionally Mediterranean thrive, although you do need to keep them well watered!  Winter is cooler, even then many days can be sunny in the high teens and it never gets "hats and gloves" cold.  Please don't be put off by comments about the weather, you'll be fine here!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, buzzy--bee said:

I regularly compare Melbourne's weather to the Mediterranean.  @Fosh  - in my garden I grow olives, lemons, limes, oranges, grapes and mandarins very successfully.  My wife planted some plants with massive leaves (cant remember what they are called) that cannot tolerate frost, they have prospered so that in 5 years since planting they are really too big.  With very hot summers and hot autumns, where sometimes it doesn't rain at all for weeks on end, the fruit trees that are traditionally Mediterranean thrive, although you do need to keep them well watered!  Winter is cooler, even then many days can be sunny in the high teens and it never gets "hats and gloves" cold.  Please don't be put off by comments about the weather, you'll be fine here!

Thanks so much! I feel so much better for reading your comments! So does my auzzie hubby lol he was starting to worry! 

I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and much prefer Melbourne.    Its the lifestyle that is so good, there is something for everyone and every interest and sport.   All are catered for.   I have lived in Balaclava, Elwood, Caulfield, Edithvale and the Mornington Peninsula and I love all the places I have lived.   30 years in this house and, yep its got busier but that is because there are 2 million more people here than there were in the 80's.     People in Australia move to Melbourne for the lifestyle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2017 at 22:18, NickyNook said:

Melbourne is on an equivalent latitude to Lisbon and Athens in the Northern Hemisphere.

Would you describe Lisbon and Athens as having similar weather to London? 9_9

Indeed.  Pretty much the same temperature in both places today and yet here in Melbourne it is the equivalent of November in London.

On 08/05/2017 at 22:18, NickyNook said:

I think also that the 3 year old kinders here are wonderful- used to take my grandchildren to various ones and they were all so good.  Very much concentration on having the children fitting in and being happy with lots of activities.  By contrast my daughter who lived in London a couple of years back found the playgroup centres there dire and didn't like the attitude towards children one little bit. Cultural differences perhaps.

I love Melbourne and have been here nearly a year. As a city it is the most liveable city I have lived in and that covers London, Bristol, Denver, Toronto, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

It has culture, a seasonal change, never too extreme weather, reasonable transport and great energy.

Only downsides are house prices (particularly with the pound presently) are high, but think of London commuter belt and it is not too much different. Weather is extremely changeable and this can be a problem for people that plan life around the weather forecast. Otherwise I love difference in each suburb and the variety of things to do in a day.

Education is good, eating out is fantastic and it often feels smaller than it is a city.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 17/05/2017 at 20:39, Buyer71 said:

I love Melbourne and have been here nearly a year. As a city it is the most liveable city I have lived in and that covers London, Bristol, Denver, Toronto, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

It has culture, a seasonal change, never too extreme weather, reasonable transport and great energy.

Only downsides are house prices (particularly with the pound presently) are high, but think of London commuter belt and it is not too much different. Weather is extremely changeable and this can be a problem for people that plan life around the weather forecast. Otherwise I love difference in each suburb and the variety of things to do in a day.

Education is good, eating out is fantastic and it often feels smaller than it is a city.

That's what I think as well. Ultimately there is always something to complain about and after a while people tend to take things for granted.

I've always loved the vibe in Melbourne, much more than any other Australian city I've come to realise.

I like that there are 4 seasons, sometimes in one day but that's just how it is. You follow the weather forecasts a bit more, wear layers and carry an umbrella (having said that I would really need a rental with reverse cycle aircon otherwise summer is too hot and winter is too cold).

There are lots of things to see and do (sports, concerts, theatre, art galleries, museums, parks, the zoo, shopping, markets, bars, restaurants, nice areas for walking, bike riding, big events like the Melbourne Cup, Grand Prix, International Comedy Festival etc). 

I like how different suburbs have a totally different character. 

You are within easy driving distance from beaches, the snowfields, historic towns, national parks.

Like anywhere, there are some dodgy areas, traffic can be horrendous, property is expensive to buy and depending on where you live public transport is not that great, but overall I still think Melbourne is a pretty awesome city.

I've been in Brisbane for several years now but I'm so over it and I'm planning on moving to Melbourne. It has a lot more to offer in terms of jobs as well as things to see and do. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a melbournian born and raised. Lived in Brighton all my life. 

I moved out 4 years ago now to Geelong. 

I hate the thought of even visiting Melbourne now.... let alone living there !! But that's just me.... 

Everyone's different. 

I prefer Brisbane city... lovely. 

Geelong is a nice place to raise a family with awesome beaches! 

Edited by Melby
  • Like 1

On 14/04/2018 at 16:04, Melby said:

I'm a melbournian born and raised. Lived in Brighton all my life. 

I moved out 4 years ago now to Geelong. 

I hate the thought of even visiting Melbourne now.... let alone living there !! But that's just me.... 

Everyone's different. 

I prefer Brisbane city... lovely. 

Geelong is a nice place to raise a family with awesome beaches! 

Geelong is almost an outer suburb of Melbourne anyway.

On 08/05/2017 at 22:10, Fosh said:

Try somewhere else in Australia after Melbourne.  Poms usually don’t for reasons I don’t understand