SBS reporting on new temporary parent visa

11 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

There's been talk of a hike in the cost of CPV. Does anyone know if this would be for new applications or could they just say to people who have already submitted that will be double for you too now. Would seem so unfair if that happened.

It does not increase once you have already applied I believe 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:28 PM, Quoll said:

There are "get out" visas for those who are ill or unable to travel then of course they would be a burden on the tax payer because the get out  visa doesn't have the assurance of support clause. In theory it's good but I'm betting that once the time is up there will be petitions and ministerial appeals and media vilification of ministers etc as heart strings of split families are tugged. Only time will tell. 

Wouldn't medical evacuation cover for these scenarios?

1 hour ago, toOZ2012 said:

Wouldn't medical evacuation cover for these scenarios?

Repatriation could be an option but the usual argument is that the sick person has nobody to support them if they return home.  

MEDICAL INSURANCE

Beware of the cost of medical insurance, temporary visas are classed as tourist visas for medical insurance.  The cost can be as high as $17k per couple per year.  Whereas a permanent resident with access to Medicare pays about $6k per couple.  

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

Repatriation could be an option but the usual argument is that the sick person has nobody to support them if they return home.  

Oddly I think that repatriation is unlikely to happen in a number of cases, but the children being required to act as a full guarantor  for medical costs will be a nasty shock.

1 hour ago, Sooty said:

MEDICAL INSURANCE

Beware of the cost of medical insurance, temporary visas are classed as tourist visas for medical insurance.  The cost can be as high as $17k per couple per year.  Whereas a permanent resident with access to Medicare pays about $6k per couple.  

Wow!

On 06/05/2017 at 1:28 AM, Quoll said:

There are "get out" visas for those who are ill or unable to travel then of course they would be a burden on the tax payer because the get out  visa doesn't have the assurance of support clause. In theory it's good but I'm betting that once the time is up there will be petitions and ministerial appeals and media vilification of ministers etc as heart strings of split families are tugged. Only time will tell. 

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/602-

You are perhaps thinking of the subclass 602 Medical Treatment visa?

Will be interesting to see if the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement is available for UK citizens in Australia too.

Best regards.

https://migration.bupa.com.au/?txtUsername=GoMatildaOVC&txtCorpID=OVChealth

For indicative costs of private health care, see the premiums for Overseas Visitors Cover here.

In referencing this, it may be the private health funds come up with a modified offering for holders of this new visa.

Suggest those looking at premiums select Non working visa/405 Investor Retirement.

Best regards.

Edited by Alan Collett
  • Like 2

From this budget page you can open this pdf. Here are a few excerpts from pages 17 and 18:

Temporary sponsored parent visa — establishment

The Government will introduce a new temporary sponsored parent visa from November 2017, with 15,000 visas to be made available annually. The temporary sponsored parent visa will allow parents of Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents and eligible New Zealand citizens to stay in Australia for periods of up to three or five years. The visa may be renewed from outside Australia to allow a cumulative stay of up to ten years. Temporary sponsored parent visa holders will not be eligible to apply onshore for a permanent parent visa. The visa holder’s sponsor, their Australian child, will have legal liability for public health expenditure (including aged care arrangements) incurred by the visa holder in Australia. This is designed to reduce the cost to the Government of health services for temporary parent migrants.

Existing contributory and non-contributory parent visas will remain open to new applicants.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will undertake a review of the temporary sponsored parent visa at the end of the first program year.

I can't find any mention of changes to costs for existing contributory visas.

I have to admit, I struggle with the notion that the 804 non contributory visa should be continued with the introduction of this new temporary visa. I could simply not justify bringing my parents over to a country that has given me so much with the eventual potential use of benefits to which they should never have rights. 

It seems to be fairly frequent that the country is entered on a tourist visa with the intention to immediately lodge a non CPV. This seems somewhat against the spirit of immigration guidelines & a way to both skip the queue & avoid paying (quite legitimate) contributory visa costs. Not to mention the high risk of failing the 2nd medical after 10ish years and inevitably being too unwell to return home. 

Why not simply place the 8503 restriction on all tourist visas above a certain age? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phenol said:

I have to admit, I struggle with the notion that the 804 non contributory visa should be continued with the introduction of this new temporary visa. I could simply not justify bringing my parents over to a country that has given me so much with the eventual potential use of benefits to which they should never have rights. 

It seems to be fairly frequent that the country is entered on a tourist visa with the intention to immediately lodge a non CPV. This seems somewhat against the spirit of immigration guidelines & a way to both skip the queue & avoid paying (quite legitimate) contributory visa costs. Not to mention the high risk of failing the 2nd medical after 10ish years and inevitably being too unwell to return home. 

Why not simply place the 8503 restriction on all tourist visas above a certain age? 

I understand what you are saying, but IMHO it is ultimately an issue for law makers - elected by the voters - to change the laws if the outcomes are not in the best interests of the country.

In the meantime, we work within the frameworks and guidelines as presently enacted.

Best regards.

Guest Shaki

Hi,

Our parents have 2 sons and 1 daughter. Me and my brother is Australian citizen. We want to bring our parents and also our sister. she is a student an depend on us. now i know about 3 years parent visa but how can i bring my sister in Australia. Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, Shaki said:

Hi,

Our parents have 2 sons and 1 daughter. Me and my brother is Australian citizen. We want to bring our parents and also our sister. she is a student an depend on us. now i know about 3 years parent visa but how can i bring my sister in Australia. Thanks in advance

I think a parent visa with her as a dependent.  Not sure if that is possible on a non-contributory visa, so worth speaking with one of the MARA agents on this thread!!

Guest Shaki
3 hours ago, Ferrets said:

I think a parent visa with her as a dependent.  Not sure if that is possible on a non-contributory visa, so worth speaking with one of the MARA agents on this thread!!

Thanks Ferret for you reply. Contributory visa takes 2 to 3 years to process. but my parents are really old and they are sick. and there is no one to take care of them. so i am looking for a way to quickly bring them here including my sister and then apply for a contributory visa. so, how can i do that?

10 minutes ago, Shaki said:

Thanks Ferret for you reply. Contributory visa takes 2 to 3 years to process. but my parents are really old and they are sick. and there is no one to take care of them. so i am looking for a way to quickly bring them here including my sister and then apply for a contributory visa. so, how can i do that?

On the face of it I think there are very limited options - you need to speak to a MARA agent to go over the specifics of your case to understand if there is a way forward.

Good luck!!

17 hours ago, Shaki said:

Hi,

How old is your sister?  If she's under 18, then it shouldn't be fine.  If she's over 18 but under 23 and unmarried, then she needs to meet the criteria for dependent.  If she's over 23 and unmarried, she needs to be disabled and dependent.  http://www.border.gov.au/Migrationagents/Pages/member-of-family-unit.aspx

Your bigger issue may be your parents' health as they need to meet the health criteria to be granted a visa.

14 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/temporary-sponsored-visa-parents/faq

Updated FAQs on the Department of Immigration website relating to the new temporary parent visa.

Best regards.

Interesting to note the sponsor must have lived in oz for at least four years - clearer than the usual woolly statement of "must be settled".