Can we afford the lifestyle we are looking for?

Dekra

I am a Scottish nurse with a job offer/sponsorship to come to Hobart. My husband and I love the idea of Tasmania where it is a nice pace of life, we aren't looking for bright lights and big city but need to be within a short commute of a hospital and where there are enough facilities that our children can still have outings etc. Combine that with a pleasant climate, beautiful environment and lower than average cost of living and we hope that Hobart will be the right choice for us.

The one final thing that has been holding us back from motoring forward was a few health related thing than link to financial viability.

Can I therefore ask those of you in Tas and especially in the Hobart commuting area a few things moneywise.

Our household comprises 2 40-something adults, a (by then) 10 year old boy and 7 year old girl and a Jack Russell dog.

My take home salary should be roughly $1000 a week. I know rental costs for a 3 bedroom could be between 350-450 a week leaving $550 for household expenses, bills and spending money. We will be importing one car with us so would not have car payments but would have rego/ins/running costs for it. We will initially be on a 457 visa (I'm not affected by the recent changes as long as I get my visa application in soon) so we wouldn't have any family tax benefit. Initially my husband would not be working so we would not have childcare costs until he had a job. Basically, my question is until hubby gets a job that is right for him and doesn't get wiped out by childcare costs is that $1000 per week enough for a comfortable living? We would have some savings behind us but would prefer to keep that for a house deposit in a couple of years time if possible. Also there is a possibility of a part time job for hubby that is work from home that he can actually do anywhere in the (civilised) world which I believe after tax would leave him with $450 which if it happens would make a difference but which I do not want to count on just yet which is why I want to base the final decision on the financial side based on the $1000 per week.

Any advice/insights etc would be welcome.

I think that will be tough going, everything is more expensive in Aus. When we moved over 4 years ago we had 3 dependent children and I was taking home $1500 a week, rent was $750 a week (Sydney) and our food budget was and still is $300+ a week now with 2 dependent children, petrol is about the only thing cheaper than the UK. Not sure if prices are more expensive or the same in Tas, many things will need to be transported there for sale but it is a beautiful place! Do you need to pay for school fees? Some states make you pay for public school fees on a 457...NSW do but Victoria doesn't! Good luck with your application try and make it work, it is so worth being here!!

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Yes Tasmania is a lovely place and the cost of living can be high - supermarket prices the same as Sydney but housing cheaper.  It would certainly be good if your husband can find a job too.  We retired to Tasmania and quite honestly we wouldn't live anywhere else BUT I do know there is a big problem with unemployment.  Many young people move to the mainland for work.  I always compare it to where I was born and brought up in Scotland.  I also had to move away from home for work when I was young due to lack of employment opportunities.

I live on the north coast of Tasmania but a member here (Skani) lives in Hobart and I'm sure she will be along soon to give you far better advice than me. 

PS  You replied in another Tassie thread.  I was once JockinTas but changed my name due to some difficulties logging in to the updated forum. 

Edited by Toots

Thanks for your replies folks and for the identity crisis explanation Toots lol. I have been doing more sums and now know our weekly budget will be a decent bit more than I hoped so we can have the breathing space we need to allow my hubby to either get a job or start his own business in computer and mobile phone repair. I just like to be sure that I consider worst case scenario for budgeting as I think it is pointless trading working with Glaswegians to Taswegians unless we can be sure that there will be a benefit to us as a family. 

Self doubt and the responsibility that I am making the final decision with my head and not my heart is a tough combination. Part of me wants to back off and say well I had the chance to do it but it was safer not to. Then the other part of me knows that is rubbish, I have the chance and whilst there is no guarantee in anything in life I will regret letting the opportunity pass. 

Laziness, fear, complacency those are the things holding me back. Finance is a slow down but not a hold back. I am sure there will be good times and tough times if we make the move, but there will be those if we don't anyway. 

Themaccas - thankfully Tas does not charge school fees for 457 visa holders. Given that most 457 families end up going PR route then they're really just investing in the state/country's future in the same was as aussie born or PR visa children. I understand NSW and now WA and SA trying to save money in the education budget but I also think it is a short term saving not the long term investment it has been when 457 visa holder's dependents education was same as PR.