Vehicles and Asbestos - please read if importing your car to Australia!

Ok so Australian Border Force (formerly known as Customs), in its infinite wisdom, has decided that vehicle components with asbestos are now somehow a 'thing' and are wanting declarations from importers to say that their vehicles don't contain any asbestos. This change was made without any prior warning and we had customers with vehicles on the water that have now been sent for asbestos testing. 

To make your life a whole lot easier before you leave, ask your local workshop to write a note on their letterhead/service document to say that your vehicle does not have any parts that contain asbestos. They are generally looking at older cars. The most likely culprits are brake pads and other gaskets in the engine and transmission. 

The idea behind this is that, somehow, they will prevent someone changing the parts from contracting asbestosis, but if there are parts that are found to have asbestos in them, what must be done? The parts must be changed... red tape at its finest.

If you have any questions, fire away.

• 2 weeks later...

UK banned asbestos from vehicles in 1999, so anything built after that date will be fine. For vehicles built prior to 1999, if it is in regular use, you will have no doubt changed the parts most likely to contain asbestos. Best to get a letter from your mechanic stating it's asbestos free, just to be on the safe side.

• 6 months later...

Hi - not sure if this helps but I am based in the UK and undertake vehicle asbestos surveys, I can collect your car, bring it back to my fully kitted workshop, do the inspection, remove the asbestos materials, product the survey report and bring your car back to you ready for export. I am happy for your do all or part of the refitting works yourself by hiring my workshop facilities.

As far as I am aware I am the only person in the UK offering to do this type of survey, as a timed served asbestos surveyor (fully insured etc) and a life long vintage car enthusiast, I will do my very best to make sure that it is cost effective to take your pride and joy to Oz with you !

I am sure that the legislation will be extended to other countries in the future.

www.survey-services.co.uk

Spread the word !

David

• 7 months later...
54 minutes ago, Cogsworth33 said:

If you import a car from the US that has a gasket that has tested positive for asbestos is it possible to have it go to a shop upon landing in AU and fixed here? Will they allow that if it is pre-arranged and there is no deception?

No chance of allowing any parts in with asbestos. Remove it in the US and send it as a non-runner, then refit here.

• 2 years later...

Hi Iron Chef,

Any updates on the asbestos issue? If I'm shipping over a relatively new car - 2017 Volvo - will I need to have an asbestos inspection in the UK before I can sign the asbestos certification form for export?

Thanks for the help

On 05/06/2021 at 23:40, JohnM said:

Hi Iron Chef,

Any updates on the asbestos issue? If I'm shipping over a relatively new car - 2017 Volvo - will I need to have an asbestos inspection in the UK before I can sign the asbestos certification form for export?

Thanks for the help

Hi John, and welcome. Being a 2017 model, you will be fine for asbestos. I think testing rates are running at about 2% here, and only on cars that present the most risk (mostly classic cars out of the US).