Old Photos of Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've often wondered where the idea for building terraces in this style came from because so far as I know they don't build them like this in England, flat faced or with bay windows being the way I remember them, and I presume most of the architects/builders came from Britain? 

Climate differences, I presume - a covered balcony providing extra shade in a hotter climate.  Also a sign of increasing prosperity - the earliest terrace houses in Oz were flat fronted.    We have quite a few of the bay windowed type in Hobart - again, presumably a sunny indoor space in a cooler climate.

18 hours ago, Toots said:

Is it?  The photo was included amongst pictures of Australia during the Depression and actually said Surry Hills, Sydney beside it.

It's an almost instantly recognised image (amongst photographers) from publications relating to the Great Depression in the USA and was taken by Walker EvansI Another one of his from the same family

walker_evans01.jpg

2 hours ago, Johndoe said:

It's an almost instantly recognised image (amongst photographers) from publications relating to the Great Depression in the USA and was taken by Walker EvansI Another one of his from the same family

walker_evans01.jpg

Never trust the internet eh!  Can't credit that someone would actually state it was Surry Hills in Sydney.  :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...