Construction Project Manager but significant work experince as Contracts Manager/Admin

Suffiane Haroun

Hi Everybody,

I am intending to apply for visa 189 as Construction Project Manager but I am little concerned because I was not actually practicing construction in a strict sense since a while.

So I am working as Contracts Manager (Admin) in construction projects since 10 years, however, I have a Civil Engineering degree and I had around +3 years experience at my early years as Construction engineer. I also have an LLM in Construction Law and Arbitration.  

So my questions are:
- Given the above can I apply for a Construction Project Manager?

- Is there a minimum activities of Construction Project Manager that need to be included in my Company letter of experience under the Contracts Manager? if so what  would be the acceptable minimum match between both positions e.g. 60% or what? 

- What would be the main criteria of assessment that could make it or break it when it comes to a case like mine?

Sorry for the elaboration and looking forward for your advice.

Regards,

SH

Edited by Suffiane Haroun

Hi i am almost in the same boat,

Please looking for an advice as well.

please  want to ask; I have a B.Sc. in Building from my home country in Sub Sahara Africa, and an MSc. in Construction Project Management from The UK, with about 1-3 years experience in the construction industry. My question is should i be applying for project builder or construction project manager? for 189

thank you

• Like 1

From VETASSESS:

Construction Project Manager (ANZSCO Code 133111)

This occupation requires a qualification which is assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.

In addition to this, applicants must have at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation. If the qualification(s) are not at the required educational level, or if the employment has been completed prior to the qualification, then the employment will be assessed below the required skill level.

A highly relevant field of study is Construction Project Management, which is the study of planning and controlling building projects (ASCED). General management degrees without underpinning or related studies in construction/civil engineering or building would not usually be positively assessed for this occupation. Qualifications in Architectural Studies with supporting highly relevant employment will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you are still not clear, take somr professional advice.

Thanks Westly Russell for the feedback.

I am aware that Civil Engineering degree is relevant and should be acceptable.

The crux of my query is "What would be the main criteria of assessment that could make it or break it when it comes to a case like mine?" whereas, my last days as construction engineer was almost 10 years ago and since then I am still in construction field albeit as contracts manager. Construction Contracts Manager actually has some similar activities to Construction Project Manger, but is that enough?

I solicited professional advice however it was not sufficient, this is why I am asking people of experience.

Cheers,
SH  

Edited by Suffiane Haroun