Visa 189 + partner

Hey,

I am currently on a 457 temporary work visa (in the medical field) but  am planning to apply for the 189 visa in the near future. 

I recently got married and would like to include my spouse in the 189 visa application however I don't have much substantial evidence of genuine relationship besides the marriage certificate. We have been in a long distance relationship for the last 5 years because I moved to Australia to further my studies. I understand that we need to provide evidence of cohabitation eg. utility bills, rent, shared banking etc. The problem is that we have not lived together hence can't provide such information or proof.  

I however have the marriage certificate, photos (proposal + wedding), messages, love letters, several flight tickets from our holidays dating back to 5 years ago when we starting going out. I also have the receipt for the engagement ring and wedding rings. I can also get our two families to write letters to support our marriage. 

Can you let me know what other evidence I could provide to back the relationship? 

Thank you. 

Edited by stevie007

Hi... 

I'm sure if you are married and have the certificate you don't need to worry about much more evidence. I am currently applying for 189 with my partner we are engaged but not married. We have been together many years but only lived together for just over 1 year now so to begin with when we had to provide evidence of our relationship I.e utility bills we were struggling, I asked my visa advisor what's the quickest way to gather this evidence basically she said if we were married we would only need the certificate. We got there in the end without rushing a marriage, we provided; - utility bills, gym memberships -god parents request -wedding invites with both names -signed up to do charity events I.e 5k run which letters were addressed to both, engagement cards, (so any of your wedding cards), they ask you not too send any photos or photo albums -- however I had a few cards made for us on funky piegion with pictures of this and these were accepted. We opened a joint bank account a couple of years ago which was good evidence that we financially supported each other and also set up savings accounts together. We were accepted as a couple and no more evidence was requested .... however I'm sure all of this won't apply to you guys if you are married, I was advised the certificate was sufficient! So it may be easier than you think ! Good luck xx 

There are couples who despite being married have had to provide evidence of the relationship.  Sadly, there are marriages of convenience to get a visa and it's not a certainty that no further proof will be asked for (perhaps if the event is very recent). 

To the OP, I would still provide the evidence you have (which shows a long relationship - my brother also provided letters as proof of an on going relationship despite him having to return to the UK and his now wife being in Aus).