Securing Job in UK - Time Frames and Plans to Return

MelT

Just seeking some feedback from other members who have moved back to the UK.

We are planning on returning to the UK within 2 years and would ideally like to secure a job before we return.  Just wondering what others have experienced and the time taken to do this.  My husband has been searching for work in Qld (made redundant business closed) for over 4 months with no success.  Would it be better to apply for jobs in the UK instead?  Not sure what we should do and worried we will use up all our funds in the meantime then going back will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Thank you :)

• Like 2

Hi MelT 

We have friends who have returned with no problems of finding work. We are returning at the end of this years sold up here and got a good deal on the dollar exchange and bought a house which is now rented out till we return. I have called a few people for work and there is plenty even with Brexit on the horizon. I was in Brisbane for 4 months and found it hard to find secure work so returned to Adelaide. I know of a few Xpats returning because the exchange rate is so good going to the UK, why are you waiting for 2 years? I would get a job tomorrow so depending what you do not many employers would leave a job open that long. What does your husband do and where will you be returning to?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MelT said:

Just seeking some feedback from other members who have moved back to the UK.

We are planning on returning to the UK within 2 years and would ideally like to secure a job before we return.  Just wondering what others have experienced and the time taken to do this.  My husband has been searching for work in Qld (made redundant business closed) for over 4 months with no success.  Would it be better to apply for jobs in the UK instead?  Not sure what we should do and worried we will use up all our funds in the meantime then going back will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Thank you :)

Hi MeIT sorry to hear you're going through a difficult time. From your post it seems you're not sure about going back? If you want to go back, there's absolutely no harm in applying for jobs. Some people do secure roles before they head back (or at least interviews) and some don't. It totally depends on what your husband's role is and demand for that role. Would you like to stay in Australia? Are you only thinking of moving back as your husband can't secure work? Have you thought about looking for work outside QLD? If you're not wanting to stay, then yes start applying for suitable roles now. See what 'hits' you get. If you're wanting to stay but just finding it hard due to no work for 4 months, do a strict budget on how long you could stay this way for (keeping air fares and set up back in UK costs separate). Mark a date. If you can't secure work by this date then you know your option.

If you're not wanting to stay, there is the option to move back now and look for work once you get here.

It all just depends on what you want to do and what your budget is.

Wish you all the best.

We were in a very similar position. 

I was made redundant and couldn't find any work. We had just moved into the house we built and we hung around in hope with me applying for everything, even macas. Eventually, we agreed I would start applying for roles in the UK and had interviews almost immediately and within a fortnight an offer. 

For us, by then we were flat broke and arrived back with pretty much nothing. A suit case each. But, it has worked out. We have a lovely little cottage and career back on track. 

• Like 1

If your OH is a geologist per poster above (I think that's correct?) you may be in the same boat.  Totally depends on what your husbands role is and if you have looked further in Australia first. It's a big country 

Is he a geologist? 

Hubby was state manager for a worldwide crane company (Vic & Qld) for nearly 10 years....

Moving back timeframes are tricky as my parents live here (near us) and my mum has advanced cancer and will not move back now. So time with mum is limited .. Plus we need to get the house ready to sell.... Not a 5 minute job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were in a very similar position. 
I was made redundant and couldn't find any work. We had just moved into the house we built and we hung around in hope with me applying for everything, even macas. Eventually, we agreed I would start applying for roles in the UK and had interviews almost immediately and within a fortnight an offer. 
For us, by then we were flat broke and arrived back with pretty much nothing. A suit case each. But, it has worked out. We have a lovely little cottage and career back on track. 

What area of work are you in? Hubby was state manager for nearly 10 years and I am a management accountant/financial analyst (can only work part time at the moment which work does not exist)..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a geologist. 

We moved very quickly. We had talked about it but only half heartedly, though had luckily got the dog his rabies jab. I started applying for jobs back in the UK and within two weeks had interviews. One was on a Monday night. On the Tuesday I got an offer. But with the condition I started the following Tuesday! So, I flew the Saturday. In between we sold all our possessions except the house itself. My wife stayed for another 5 days while we waited for the dogs rabies clearance. The house sale happened after we had moved. That was last March. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I am a geologist. 

We moved very quickly. We had talked about it but only half heartedly, though had luckily got the dog his rabies jab. I started applying for jobs back in the UK and within two weeks had interviews. One was on a Monday night. On the Tuesday I got an offer. But with the condition I started the following Tuesday! So, I flew the Saturday. In between we sold all our possessions except the house itself. My wife stayed for another 5 days while we waited for the dogs rabies clearance. The house sale happened after we had moved. That was last March. 

Hi Verystormy,

I am a Geologist and am planning on moving back to the UK next year. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on best way to getting a job in the geology sector whilst still being in Oz. It would take all the worry away if I managed to secure something before we left. Any help much appreciated. Cheers

Edited by TOMKAL

There is big demand in the UK at the moment for geologists. The big growth sectors are quarrying, environmental and engineering geologists. The later is what I am doing and we struggle to get enough people - we have an advert for a principle geo running for months. 

The pros and cons. Pay isn't as high as mining / exploration / oil and gas. 

The the pro, the pay is still reasonable and a lot of perks are available. For example, I get a fully expensed car, a very good pension scheme, a share scheme, 26 days annual leave, private health and a few other bits. It does mean I am away on projects a fair bit, but, that is another bonus - my wife and dog often come with me and they have a little holiday for free. In fact I am writing from a holiday park in Whitley Bay now.  

The work is similar to mining and exploration except you are not the client. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Verystormy, 

Thanks for replying.

Thats encouraging news, and those pros do sound good. Sounds like you're on a good wicket there. Totally prepared for the pay cut, not a problem. Engineering geo roles surely need additional qualifications? Or would mining and exploration experience in Aus be enough?

Do you have any recommendations on job hunting sites? Is their a Seek equivalent in UK?

Thanks again

No, you don't need any additional qualifications and I entered from a mining and exploration background. There are things you need to learn such as logging is very different and some drill methods are different and reports have no interpretation at all, to the extent it is contrary to the codes of practise to include any form of interp.  But this is all learnt on the job or on company run courses  

The main job sites are indeed and total jobs. If it is any help, my company are recruiting for our Leeds and southern offices. Look up Soil Engineering. 

• Like 1