References before any job offer

elderberry

Hi All

I've been in Melbourne now for 4 months and have found the job market to be very different here. Overall, I'd say its tough to get that first role as an expat.

Having said that, I've got an agency that have come back asking for references, and when these came back from the UK with just dates of employment and job title only, as is becoming standard practice,  they've asked for personal references from people I worked with. I've had to call in favours for this yet I have no guarantee that I will be offered a job.

Is this normal to ask for this degree of reference checking before you've even been offered a job over here?

Edited by elderberry

Yes, even if you already work for a place and apply for a different job.  I went for a position in the organisation I currently work in and they followed up my references fully before offering me the job. I know they asked for references before my first job there as well because my old boss sent me a copy of what she sent them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elderberry said:

What happens if you apply for a job externally while being employed somewhere - surely then they don't ask for a reference where you are currently working without a job offer do they?

Sure they do. References are part of the selection process and if your referees don't back up your claims whereas another candidate gets a better reference then you don't get the job. Not so important if there are loads of positions and it's more of a character check but vital where you are competing for one position.

I'm in the same position at the moment. I had a phone interview 3 weeks ago (I'm still in the UK, working for my employer). Was told I'd hear back within 3-4weeks. The woman who interviewed me came back after 10 days asking if I was still interested, then contacted my references, has asked me to get documents certified and sent me recruitment paperwork to complete..... but hasn't actually offered me a position, so I'm not sure if I've got it or notO.o

References should only be given towards the end of the process (i.e. post 1st or 2nd interview but maybe before a formal job offer) and it is normal not to give your current employer as a referee if they don't know that you are planning on leaving.  Sometimes agencies ask for your referee's details to have on file.  I always refuse and say that I can provide referees at an appropriate stage of the process, you don't want to piss off your referee's by giving out their contact details willy nilly.

Referees from previous employers are acceptable.

These days, quite often companies only confirm dates of employment and positions, maybe your JD - they won't say whether you were good or bad.  They can be held legally liabile for good/bad references so are less likely to give them.  Generally these are the same companies that look for references though so soon it will be hard to get anything but a statement of employmenr

• Like 1