Advice on renting

manuel labor

Hi there - my partner and I are looking to move to the UK around June. We're Aussies - and have spent a couple of months in the UK before - preferred Bristol / Bath, as well as Cardiff - may even look at Somerset / Glamorgan.

One thing I am having a hard time wrapping my head around are the on-costs for renting houses and apartments.

Here in Aus I have always found it pretty simple - normally a monthly rental fee....you pay 4 weeks bond at the beginning (which you invariably get back at the end), and then only running costs such as electricity, gas, water and internet.

In the UK, I am aware of a few differences - such as;

* Agency fees (sure, we have them in Aus too - but the rent is agency fee inclusive, and normally they charge 7-8%. In the UK, it sounds like they charge 20-25% above the rent)

* Application fee - this is the one I find strange - you can pay 50 or 100 quid, without even being confident you'll get the place? How much do agencies make just from applications?!?

* Council rates - in Bristol and Cardiff this seems to range from about 30 to 70 quid a week.

In other words, if I see an apartment in Melbourne Australia for $800 a week...that is exactly what it costs me. But if I see an apartment in Cardiff for 500 quid a week (about $800 AUD) - I then need to add a few hundred more for agency fees and council rates.

Not to mention some of the other little things I never factored in - such as a TV licence fee?

Can anyone help me with some sort of ready reckoner on the costs of renting...in other words....if I see an apartment at 500...what is it really likely to cost.

Moreover and more importantly - I would have thought that avoiding an agency (due to the fairly heinous fees they charge) is in the interests of both parties - are there any websites which are better than others...for finding landlords directly? I have great references from decent establishments and would likely just pay 3-6 months in advance - but want to find a really nice FF apartment somewhere - and hoping not to pay massive $$$ to an agent for shuffling paper back and forth.

Are you sure you are not looking at the landlords charges.  We rent out a property and We have to pay a letting fee for the agent finding a tenant, then an Admin fee, 12% of the rent per month as a management fee, then everytime the lease is renewed (even with the same tenant) there is another fee. Never heard of tenants having to pay an application fee.

The laws regarding renting are much more stringent  so in a 2 bed house there are 3 smoke alarms all connected so if one goes off they all go! a heat sensor thing, a carbon monoxide alarm, we even have to get all the taps, showers etc tested every year for Legionella!

Edited by AJ

Hi there - my partner and I are looking to move to the UK around June. We're Aussies - and have spent a couple of months in the UK before - preferred Bristol / Bath, as well as Cardiff - may even look at Somerset / Glamorgan.
One thing I am having a hard time wrapping my head around are the on-costs for renting houses and apartments.
Here in Aus I have always found it pretty simple - normally a monthly rental fee....you pay 4 weeks bond at the beginning (which you invariably get back at the end), and then only running costs such as electricity, gas, water and internet.
In the UK, I am aware of a few differences - such as;
* Agency fees (sure, we have them in Aus too - but the rent is agency fee inclusive, and normally they charge 7-8%. In the UK, it sounds like they charge 20-25% above the rent)
* Application fee - this is the one I find strange - you can pay 50 or 100 quid, without even being confident you'll get the place? How much do agencies make just from applications?!?
* Council rates - in Bristol and Cardiff this seems to range from about 30 to 70 quid a week.
In other words, if I see an apartment in Melbourne Australia for $800 a week...that is exactly what it costs me. But if I see an apartment in Cardiff for 500 quid a week (about $800 AUD) - I then need to add a few hundred more for agency fees and council rates.
Not to mention some of the other little things I never factored in - such as a TV licence fee?
Can anyone help me with some sort of ready reckoner on the costs of renting...in other words....if I see an apartment at 500...what is it really likely to cost.
Moreover and more importantly - I would have thought that avoiding an agency (due to the fairly heinous fees they charge) is in the interests of both parties - are there any websites which are better than others...for finding landlords directly? I have great references from decent establishments and would likely just pay 3-6 months in advance - but want to find a really nice FF apartment somewhere - and hoping not to pay massive $$$ to an agent for shuffling paper back and forth.

We pay on top of our monthly rent...
£180 per month council tax , water £40 per month ,gas & electric £160 per month and a parking permit £70 per year. This is in North London for a 4 bedroom house[emoji31]

If you look on gumtree.com & loot website it's normally direct to landlords to no estate agent fees..

A normal deposit amount in north London is £4000 up front to rent a 2bed flat

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

7 hours ago, AJ said:

Are you sure you are not looking at the landlords charges.  We rent out a property and We have to pay a letting fee for the agent finding a tenant, then an Admin fee, 12% of the rent per month as a management fee, then everytime the lease is renewed (even with the same tenant) there is another fee. Never heard of tenants having to pay an application fee.

The laws regarding renting are much more stringent  so in a 2 bed house there are 3 smoke alarms all connected so if one goes off they all go! a heat sensor thing, a carbon monoxide alarm, we even have to get all the taps, showers etc tested every year for Legionella!

No most agents charge the tenant a letting fee and an admin fee.  It never really says how much in the advertising just that "fees apply". For my son in a one bed flat in Colchester this was about £100 one off payment.  Some agencies charged more.

This, the council tax ( rates) and TV license are the main differences.  Any communal/ strata fees should be included in the rent but some areas may require you to purchase a parking permit.  Also you will be responsible for all the water charges in most cases including the sewerage charges unlike in Aus where the landlord pays all or some of the standing charges and sometimes some usage if there is a large garden to be maintained.

• 5 weeks later...

We pay on top of our monthly rent...
£180 per month council tax , water £40 per month ,gas & electric £160 per month and a parking permit £70 per year. This is in North London for a 4 bedroom house[emoji31]

If you look on gumtree.com & loot website it's normally direct to landlords to no estate agent fees..

A normal deposit amount in north London is £4000 up front to rent a 2bed flat

Oh gosh that's terrible- so different than OZ thx for the warning. I want to live in the country not London. Will check out the web sites. Cheers, [emoji8]

• 2 months later...

We rent our house out in the UK and we pay management fees, finder’s fee and annual checks like gas and electric and the landlords insurance. These costs are all included in the rent that the tenants pay. The tenant themselves on top of the rent, pay all bills e.g. gas electric water council tax and tenancy renewal fee.