moving back to uk

mahjong

I'm cashing in my super and moving back to uk . Theres a lot to organise and I don't know where to start. Do I ship all my furniture or buy over there? I have a cat and a dog who will also be coming with me can they fly the same time as me.  Should I fly to uk alone first buy a house then come back to Australia for my pets. What should I do first?

Hello and welcome. I've moved your post to our UK section of the forum as it was in the Aus migration area.

Re your move, read the requirements for taking your pets to the UK. It can be found on here https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/pet-passport Get to grips with what will be required. Then contact some of the pet shippers here in Aus for quotes etc. IIRC pets don't usually fly on same flight as you. There are reasons for this. But they can go around the same time so as to be with you when you move. That is usually the norm. 

As to what you ship, entirely up to you. Price up how much it will cost to ship everything you want to take, consider houses are generally smaller in the UK and some items may be rather large for a home you set up there? 

First, are you retired or on a temporary visa - I ask as you say cashing in your super.

With pets, I would recommend you use a pet shipping company such as Dogtainers. We used them last year and were excellent. They can go on the same flight, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it as they will have a long wait while they are processed on landing and you would be stuck waiting. We put ours on an earlier flight the same day so we didn't have to wait around too long.

With regards housing, I would look at renting initially.

Shipping, has lots of options ranging from a few boxes up to a 40ft container that would fit all your household. But, it depends on weighing up costs of shipping against the condition of your things against the cost of replacement.

How long have you lived in Oz for?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mahjong said:

Do I ship all my furniture or buy over there?

This is a personal choice really. Couple of things to consider:

• How attached are you to your furniture? Anything sentimental that you'd hate to leave behind?
  • What is the cost to ship vs. cost to replace (you can get quotes from removal companies and ask them to provide you different options for shipping everything vs. shipping just the essentials to work out the difference)
  • What will fit in your new home and what might you end up having to get rid of if you've got no where to put it? (As @snifter said, home sizes can vary) 
  • How do you feel about having to go out any buy everything again? some people love shopping, others find it very stressful especially if you're re-furnishing a whole house
  • How do you feel about the process of disposal? if you're getting rid of lots of furniture how are you going to go about that? are you going to sell it all (could contribute to costs of replacement) or donate it? again some people find this a breeze, others find this hassle a bit stressful whilst trying to juggle everything else that comes with moving.

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

Re your pets to  arrive via the PETS passport scheme they have to travel within 5 days of you arriving in the UK. Any more than 5 days they can still enter the country but they are no longer classed as a pet so it will cost more. I used Jetpets who were also great.

As for furniture I shipped the stuff I like but left the old white goods and cheap flat pack things.  Use your common sense  - if you think it's not worth shipping it probably isn't. 

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

Just curious do we need to get a pet passport as when you go into gov sight it says countries the uk accepts pet passports from and Australia isn't on there!  I know I have to get a rabies injection but is that pretty much it?  Does that mean we can go anywhere up to a year after having her shot?

3 hours ago, paulswin said:

Just curious do we need to get a pet passport as when you go into gov sight it says countries the uk accepts pet passports from and Australia isn't on there!  I know I have to get a rabies injection but is that pretty much it?  Does that mean we can go anywhere up to a year after having her shot?

They have to have their rabies shot 4 weeks before they fly and be declared fit to fly by a vet the day before. The animal transport companies arrange the final vet check, certificate and do the paperwork.  You must provide the original rabies certificate signed by an AQIS registered vet. If you lose it they have to have another shot as copies are not accepted.  You don't get a physical passport.

Likr human visas the regulations change all the time.

• Like 1

On 04/28/2017 at 4:10 AM, paulswin said:

Edited by CJT

I am thinking of a move to Australia, would be interested to hear your reasons of return?

On your question: Most people seem to think that it is generally more expensive to buy new in Australia than UK. With that in mind think of cost of shipping against cost of items, especially large furniture items. Even if you don't buy new in UK initially.

Check out Ebay UK site for approx temp replacements and that may help make the financial attachment decision easier although never much help on emotional attachments

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greebo said:

I am thinking of a move to Australia, would be interested to hear your reasons of return?

On your question: Most people seem to think that it is generally more expensive to buy new in Australia than UK. With that in mind think of cost of shipping against cost of items, especially large furniture items. Even if you don't buy new in UK initially.

Check out Ebay UK site for approx temp replacements and that may help make the financial attachment decision easier although never much help on emotional attachments

Hey Greebo I don't think it's any more expensive to buy furniture here in oz depends where you shop!  Gumtree over here is great so many good bargains!   I'm not taking too much furniture back but still need a 20ft container for bits we are taking hubby has lots of work gear as well!  I like Oz it's a great place to live if you have money!  We get by - have a nice house and small boat but for hubby mostly it's not home he's never settled plus in the not too distant future when we are supposed to retire we can't as it's too hard to survive!

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:21 PM, mahjong said:

I'm cashing in my super and moving back to uk . Theres a lot to organise and I don't know where to start. Do I ship all my furniture or buy over there? I have a cat and a dog who will also be coming with me can they fly the same time as me.  Should I fly to uk alone first buy a house then come back to Australia for my pets. What should I do first?

Buy it all over here.  Keep the stuff to a minimum.   Dunno about dogs & cats tho.

That is good that you have been able to case in your super, take it you were on a 457 visa? Be careful though. Had a friend who took that option and the amount she ended up in the UK with was only 60% of what she had in Australia. She paid 40% in tax. Just be prepared to help pay for the taxman’s Christmas party.

Oh yes there is so much to try and organise and get sorted. Sometimes it has been said that there is far more to sort out going back home, than there is when you initially came out. We are planning the move back and have decided to try and break it down into little bite size bits. We have an apartment that we are going to rent out, so that means completely doing it up and getting ready for renting. With regards to as where to start, we have a online account in a free project management site. We use Trello, but there is Kanban and others out there that are free, that you can sign up to and use. We have this and have listed down all that we can think of that we need to do. This way we can check our progress and make sure that we have covered everything. Just a though, but for you (like us) it may help writing things down and seeing the list visually.

With regards to the furniture it is true what has been mentioned before, that some/most of what you have here may be too big for a place in the UK. Have a look at what you have and what you can do without. When we came over we brought everything we owned, we put it all in a box and shipped it. We still have boxes in the garage that we have not opened/used in 7 years. So going back, we will have a big clean out and take back things that we use/want. The other thing to think about is that true you can shop for things, but knowing that your stuff will turn up after you land in the UK, may be what you need to make a place feel like home. You can get all new stuff, but you may want your old things to help you settle back into life in the UK.

It is a good idea though not to take the white goods. Things are cheap enough in the UK, to buy new ones.That will help cut down on the cost of shipping too. From what has been said it seems that your pets flying within a day or two of you will be the cheaper option. When they land, you will be able to put there somewhere, with family or friends for a few weeks till you get your own place.

• Like 1