Where in Somerset?

britsabroad2013

My husband and I are relocating back to the UK after 8 years in Australia. We are looking to move to Somerset. We are not originally from the area but absolutely love that part of the world. It's stunning! We don't have jobs yet (eeek!) but we are guessing our job will be most likely be in the Bristol area. We will rent first and then look to buy once we are more settled.

Two questions I have are: Where is a good 'central location to rent a two bedroom house' Ideally would like a village or end of town location close to Bristol and secondly where are some good villages,l or small towns to live long term? We would be looking for a 4 bedroom house for around £330 ish mark. Looking for a 'family' area close to some nice walks. Easy access to the coast, good local pubs. Does anyone know much about Shepton Mallet?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Also how's the job market in Bristol? Does anyone know?

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Tickenham, Backwell (good state high school iirc), Congresbury, Nailsea (another good high school), Wraxall, Long Ashton, those sorts of towns/villiages along that corridor would get my vote if working in Bristol but not wanting to live there. Backwell and Nailsea are on the train line also into the city iirc. Some of the other places I mentioned are an easy drive to said station, though parking can be horrible and fill up fast. Easy access to Bristol, over the bridge to Wales and M5/M4 and everywhere else. Ashton Court is lovely for walks and trails. Coast close by also. Lots to do in and around the area. 

Chew Magna and around the lakes also nice. 

Shepton Mallet was too far south for me. Bath is lovely but very pricey and full of tourists and students. Good to visit, living there different story IMHO.

Guess what area of Bristol you end up working in could impact where you may be prepared to commute from. No point commuting from the west if you work right over in the east or living too far south if working north. Motorway in rush hour can get old quickly. Unless of course you find a place you love and want to live and don't therefore mind the commute or skirting round the city.

ETA - Re jobs, depends on your field. When we were there the job market was good generally. However, salary wise it can struggle to compete with cost of houses, depending on the area. Good areas you can be priced out of when looking to buy. If you've savings or funds from a house sale in Aus it will of course help. Rentals in good areas can be pricey too then factor in needing car or cars if living outside of Bristol as buses and trains not always the easiest. Lack of on street parking in many places can be a pain so houses with driveways and off road parking are at a premium. Smaller towns with houses built in 70-/80's can often have off road parking and more smaller streets, cul de sacs etc. 

Drop me a PM if you want to know more about any of the places I mentioned :) I'd be happy to discuss. 

Edited by Guest
eta

Thank you so much for your advice and help! These areas look like what we are looking for! I'm not sure our mere £330k will go too far though? It does seem we'll have to live a fair distance away from Bristol. Here's to hoping we might get jobs outside of Bristol [emoji849] We're originally from South East so used to high house prices but Bristol is pricy! I can see why, it's a great part of the world. Getting the train to work might be an option. I feel the sensible option is to rent. See where our jobs end up being and then hopefully buy as close by as possible.

Thanks so much again for your help, it was wonderful. I will be sure to PM you if I think of anymore questions of the area. Are you still living in the area or in Aus now?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

330K won't get you far round that part of the world. Not a 4 bed detached anyways. Though there are some to be had. I had a quick look on rightmove and found a few. Not big gardens and 70's style mostly for that price. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^17849&index=24

And a five mile radius for up to £350,000  http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^17849&maxPrice=350000&radius=5.0

Shepton Mallet does have some cheaper newer houses http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1198&maxPrice=350000  I guess it being that bit farther away from Bristol probably plays a part. 

In Aus living happily now. Grew up in the Bristol area and moved away as a teen, moved back years later because of a job. Had never planned to live back that way but there you go, funny how things turn out. Its a lovely part of the world and I like the access to the south west, London and north from Bristol way. Overall we were very happy living round there for a few years but long term it probably would have worn me down. I did like being able to hop on a train and be in the city centre within 15 minutes, in London within 2.5 hours. That was the appeal for us being there, not being too far away from the actual city and we made good use of it and all it has to offer past the odd day trip on the weekend. As it was we were doing stuff there most weekends, evenings out and so on. And then, total oppostite, able to be out in the countryside within minutes of walking out our front door. Does come at a cost though. I prefer more rural living although husband's job meant that was not going to be an option in the UK for us again alas. And once you have to factor in schools and so on its a whole other ball game. 

• 1 month later...
330K won't get you far round that part of the world. Not a 4 bed detached anyways. Though there are some to be had. I had a quick look on rightmove and found a few. Not big gardens and 70's style mostly for that price. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^17849&index=24
And a five mile radius for up to £350,000  http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^17849&maxPrice=350000&radius=5.0
Shepton Mallet does have some cheaper newer houses http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1198&maxPrice=350000  I guess it being that bit farther away from Bristol probably plays a part. 
In Aus living happily now. Grew up in the Bristol area and moved away as a teen, moved back years later because of a job. Had never planned to live back that way but there you go, funny how things turn out. Its a lovely part of the world and I like the access to the south west, London and north from Bristol way. Overall we were very happy living round there for a few years but long term it probably would have worn me down. I did like being able to hop on a train and be in the city centre within 15 minutes, in London within 2.5 hours. That was the appeal for us being there, not being too far away from the actual city and we made good use of it and all it has to offer past the odd day trip on the weekend. As it was we were doing stuff there most weekends, evenings out and so on. And then, total oppostite, able to be out in the countryside within minutes of walking out our front door. Does come at a cost though. I prefer more rural living although husband's job meant that was not going to be an option in the UK for us again alas. And once you have to factor in schools and so on its a whole other ball game. 

Yes that's the lifestyle I'm looking for - thankyou for sharing [emoji8]

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app