How to sort out schools???

SimonandSian

1 hour ago, SimonandSian said:

That does sound confusing! 

Our 4 year old just started reception, born in march, so she will start reception again in Feb??

No Reception in WA - try this https://www.education.wa.edu.au/web/our-schools/enrolling-in-school

She won't be doing it again because she hasn't done it yet. It pays to forget all you think you know about education levels.

3 hours ago, SJB123 said:

No problem. Most schools have dedicated uniform shops, it will usually tell you where to buy uniforms from if you check the school website.

The school year over here is a bit weird, I assumed it would run January to December to coincide with the summer break, but it actually runs July to June. To put that in context, if for example your child was born in July and started Year 2 in September in the UK, by the time you arrive in Australia the following January they would actually only be starting in Year 1. Kids born September through to June restart the same year they were in in January.

Sorry if that sounds confusing...it took me a while to get my head around it!!

The school year does run from January to December. Kids don't change school year level during the year. It's just a different cut off date in each state which is different from UK. Forget UK and go with the flow, settle into the age cohort and it'll all be good.

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

No Reception in WA - try this https://www.education.wa.edu.au/web/our-schools/enrolling-in-school

She won't be doing it again because she hasn't done it yet. It pays to forget all you think you know about education levels.

The school year does run from January to December. Kids don't change school year level during the year. It's just a different cut off date in each state which is different from UK. Forget UK and go with the flow, settle into the age cohort and it'll all be good.

Reception is known as pre primary here, playgroup/pre school is known as kindergarten (kindy).

Your March born 4 year old will start in pre primary in late Jan/early Feb :) 

On 9/19/2017 at 10:31, snifter said:

IME if a school is zoned they may well want to see proof of a lease or home ownership. A holiday rental won't cut it usually. 

In our state, not all primaries are zoned but the ones that are will expect a 1 year lease as proof to enrol a child. The non zoned ones may well suggest trying schools closer to home if they are further away but don't usually refuse you. All high schools are zoned and proof is needed to enrol. 

That's a bit of a worry as kids may be out of school for a while as it will take at least 2 or 3 weeks to find a place you want to rent for a year, and then you will need to visit zoned school, enrol etc before starting school, but at least I now know so can plan for it! :)

35 minutes ago, Chasing a dream said:

That's a bit of a worry as kids may be out of school for a while as it will take at least 2 or 3 weeks to find a place you want to rent for a year, and then you will need to visit zoned school, enrol etc before starting school, but at least I now know so can plan for it! :)

Nobody is going to give two hoots if the kids are out of school for several months if you are getting yourself settled. 

I understand the concerns as I had the same coming over but as @Quollsuggests, they'll be fine as soon as they start school. If they seem to working at a higher level in Oz than their year suggests they'll end up in an accelerated class (I would hope!) My concern was the grades that my son received last year. Basically he was below average in some areas and that wasn't the case in the UK, but the reality is the curriculum's have different emphasises and now he looks like he is making remarkable progress, but in reality he's simply learning the areas that are being assessed.

On 20/09/2017 at 02:16, SimonandSian said:

That does sound confusing! 

Our 4 year old just started reception, born in march, so she will start reception again in Feb??

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/curriculumsupport/earlychildhood/detcms/school-support-programs/early-childhood-education/home/calculator.en?oid=Article-id-11572345

Hopefully this helps...