Any way to extend 417 without 457?

TooEasy

Hello all

My 1st year working holiday visa expires in June. I had already spent 6 months with an ad agency who said they'd sponsor me, but, after that 6 months, they said they weren't able to afford to put me in the role I'd been promised so I had little choice but to leave. After endless job searching, I'm currently in late stage interviews for mid to senior level advertising jobs with a couple of companies who said they're willing to sponsor me on a 457, but nothing is guaranteed—especially not now with the recent 457 bombshell.

The reality of having to leave the life I've built here, as well as my long-term girlfriend, is starting to dawn on me. My question to you guys is, if for whatever reason I wasn't able to secure sponsorship by the time my 417 expires, do I have any options beyond just going home to the UK? Is there any possibility to request a few extra months on top of my 12 month working holiday visa in order to have time to secure a 457?

Thanks
TooEasy

34 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

If you've done the 88 days eligible regional work, you could apply for a 2nd 417, as long as you're still under 31 years old.  If your girlfriend is in fact a de facto partner and she's either an Australian citizen or PR, she could sponsor you for a partner visa.

That's the thing. I was eligible for my 1st year WHV but not my second since I turned 31 in the interim.

19 minutes ago, wrussell said:

What is the immigration status of your girlfriend?

She is a citizen. I know there is the de-facto visa but for my own personal reasons that is a last resort. Plus, I don't have the money to pay for it at the moment.

Edited by TooEasy