Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

37 minutes ago, Forces said:

What a waste of time  that was ? I’m glad though it just made it easier for me to pick my political affiliation

I'm waiting since May, total waste of time and messed up many people's lives. I went through alot of crap actually lost an important job that was promised to me with huge future financial implications that required citizenship..I'm sure there are worse cases than me. Anyway i'm moving forward as long as my application in processed.

Never voting Liberal though after this experience, ever. My extended family and local community who are already Australians and voted liberal in past all now will vote Labour next election, this whole fiasco left a very bitter taste.

7 minutes ago, peterson said:

I'm waiting since May, total waste of time and messed up many people's lives. I went through alot of crap actually lost an important job that was promised to me with huge future financial implications that required citizenship..I'm sure there are worse cases than me. Anyway i'm moving forward as long as my application in processed.

Never voting Liberal though after this experience, ever. My extended family and local community who are already Australians and voted liberal in past all now will vote Labour next election, this whole fiasco left a very bitter taste.

Especially the retrospective part of it . Why even have laws . And this ministrial powers nonsense I personally think these  2 sunk this Bill. 

4 minutes ago, captain_hoomi said:

Exactly what a waste of time, look at current processing time now :

Australian Citizenship application type 75% of applications processed in 90% of applications processed in
Conferral (lodgement to ceremony**) 10 months 14 months

It used to be just under 3 months!

My guess is the numbers are skewed by those applications which were submitted but left unprocessed in the last 6 months.

It is going to be interesting to see if there is any difference in processing times between States.  My DIBP Office is Darwin, so it will be interesting to see if my application is put through rapidly or if the Office has to take a share of the backlog?  I guess only time will tell.

I submitted my application on the 1st Aug.

• Like 1

hi not sure if i am in the right topic for this question:

My partner and i were on a defacto 457 (i was on his visa) we then got PR.

we have been in Australia since August 2012. He will have completed all eligible time of 4 years in Australia  for the citizenship however i wont as i spent 1 year 9 months at home between 2013-2015. I came back to Australia in October 2015. We were granted PR in March this year so if new rules still apply Citizenship application will begin in March 2018.

As i wont have met the 4 years by then will me partner be able to lodge his citizenship before me or because we are defaco will he have to wait until my time of 4 consecutive years is done in Australia.  

thanks in advance :)

32 minutes ago, captain_hoomi said:

Exactly what a waste of time, look at current processing time now :

Australian Citizenship application type 75% of applications processed in 90% of applications processed in
Conferral (lodgement to ceremony**) 10 months 14 months

It used to be just under 3 months!

Yes, 3 months, maximum 6 months in busy council areas. Then another 2 months for passport

It was something considered a quick process, actually, most countries citizenship is a quick process once you are eligible as you already did the waiting getting PR and living for years. But now wait is 14 months, because of political motivations chasing a BS bill, so much time wasted.

1 hour ago, kirsty160990 said:

hi not sure if i am in the right topic for this question:

My partner and i were on a defacto 457 (i was on his visa) we then got PR.

we have been in Australia since August 2012. He will have completed all eligible time of 4 years in Australia  for the citizenship however i wont as i spent 1 year 9 months at home between 2013-2015. I came back to Australia in October 2015. We were granted PR in March this year so if new rules still apply Citizenship application will begin in March 2018.

As i wont have met the 4 years by then will me partner be able to lodge his citizenship before me or because we are defaco will he have to wait until my time of 4 consecutive years is done in Australia.  

thanks in advance :)

You each can  apply as soon as you qualify. He can wait so you can apply together but he doesn't have to   

• Thanks 1

Good win. But please remember this is temporary relief. For those of you who can apply in next few months, good for you. But remember this will come back again next year in some form and make it hard for thousands to follow. So I hope everyone who pushed back this time will continue to be around. My sense is this debate has just begun and as much as I feel good for those who will benefit from this window of opportunity, I am worried that the future will get worse for many unless we stay organized and alert. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

You each can  apply as soon as you qualify. He can wait so you can apply together but he doesn't have to   

Thank you rammygirl. 

Think I’ll get him to apply when he’s on pr 12months come March 2018. Just incase new rules are talked about come July 2018 again.

i will qualify in December 2018 ?

On 5/21/2017 at 13:46, Roberta2 said:

Please don't be deluded about the process. It's common for a government to indicate a date by which changes will be put into effect.  How could it be otherwise?  If they said they were going to make changes effective from two months in advance, there would be an avalanche of applications.  The effective date is 20 April.  Labor has shown no inclination that I have seen to oppose them.  To the contrary, both major parties are terrified of One Nation, which wants to end ALL immigration.  (True, this is a loony policy.  True but irrelevant.)  Therefore the Senate doesn't matter (because it only matters when Labor opposes the government) and there is no doubt this will become law.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:05, Parley said:

Of course these measures will pass.

The average Australian voter couldn't care less about immigrants having to wait a while longer to become citizens.

Last famous words...as the Romans used to say...'don't say cat until you have it in the bag!' (pi-iate ver inter cul)...

I was not affected by the change but since the beginning I had sympathy for those whose life changed after the Government made the announcement on April 20th.

Anyway, DIBP website is now updated, including the new proposal that will be introduced in the next coming months (IELTS 5, 4 years PR, etc., from July 2018). 

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/whats-new

Edited by dredg97
Added external link to DIBP website

44 minutes ago, dredg97 said:

Last famous words...as the Romans used to say...'don't say cat until you have it in the bag!' (pi-iate ver inter cul)...

I was not affected by the change but since the beginning I had sympathy for those whose life changed after the Government made the announcement on April 20th.

Anyway, DIBP website is now updated, including the new proposal that will be introduced in the next coming months (IELTS 5, 4 years PR, etc., from July 2018). 

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/whats-new

Most bills get tweaked before they are ultimately passed.

So a few minor changes may have to be made to get it through the senate.

I don't think the waiting period is really the big issue is it ? More so the stringent  English language requireents which is more likely to be watered down to get this bill passed by the senate.

Still cannot believe we found ourselves in this situation in the first place. What is the point of democracy, law or parliament if laws can be changed overnight albeit 6 months later it was rectified. It basically means any law can be changed overnight & enforced before discussions, voting and agreement take place. No case studies were done on the potential impact. The whole debacle has left a sour taste in my mouth. I lost a 2 year job contract because of all this delay. I hope everyone on here who has been affected gets a speedy processing of their applications, good luck to all. 

So, looks like the bill is totally not dead. Dutton's last minute changes will be used for the changes in July 2018. Though it mentions subject to the passage of legislation. Those qualified should apply ASAP, or get affected again with these new changes. :(

Edited by Zet01

Hi Guys ,

I need some help with Form 1195  (Identity Declaration)

The person who makes the identity declaration should be an Australian citizens and can only be from an occupation or profession specified in the form + it is mandatory for him that he has known tge person for one year.

Now I don't know anyone who knows me for one year and is from one of these profession .

What can ve dobe in this situation. I hope most of you guys would have gone through this. Is there any chance of getting any Australian citizen to sign it ? Please share your experience in this regards .

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards .

2 hours ago, crunchy said:

Hi Guys ,

I need some help with Form 1195  (Identity Declaration)

The person who makes the identity declaration should be an Australian citizens and can only be from an occupation or profession specified in the form + it is mandatory for him that he has known tge person for one year.

Now I don't know anyone who knows me for one year and is from one of these profession .

What can ve dobe in this situation. I hope most of you guys would have gone through this. Is there any chance of getting any Australian citizen to sign it ? Please share your experience in this regards .

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards .

Not even a GP? Check professions of your friends and colleagues at work see if they are in the list. Worse case scenario get a justice of peace to sign it for you that's what most ppl in your situation do, however not all agree to do it.

54 minutes ago, Eddie937 said:

Hi all

ive just had an email from DIBP

I haven’t read it but the subject is: 

Australian citizenship application update

I’ll let you know what it says when I’ve had a chance to read it. 

Eddie

Iv just had the same it doesn't state anyting we dont already know from the media. The main points are:

Citizenship applications received on and after 20 April 2017
On 20 April 2017, the Australian Government announced the strengthening of requirements for Australian citizenship.
On 18 October 2017, the Government proposed amendments to the legislation so only applications lodged on and after 1 July 2018 will be assessed against the new criteria, subject to the passage of legislation through the Australian Parliament.
This means that your application will be assessed against the existing eligibility criteria for Australian citizenship.